Author Topic: Religion Is When PPL Pick and choose the parts to follow  (Read 476 times)

Elevz

Re: Religion Is When PPL Pick and choose the parts to follow
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 03:59:58 AM »
when i was talking about soul, i was talking about the conscious. where does it go if not heaven or hell. or do you guys think it juz dies with your body.  i was reading about dualism and it was kinda hard to interpet, if u can, can u explain it better eleven?

i wasnt talking about if their good or not. but where does your mind go after u die, or do you believe ^

Atheists don't believe in the existence of a 'soul;' what you call your soul or your mind is nothing more than a chemical process inside your brain which was put together so well that your physical being (your body, and everything about it) can experience sensations and think. That's why humans have a wonderful genetic formula: they are like that by their very nature. Your capacity to think, feel and experience is simply within your body. If the brain dies (which is what obviously happens when you die), that's the end of its functioning like that. It simply ceases to work. It's like a motor running out of fuel: the physical stuff is still there, but it's out of function. It does nothing anymore. What you call the human soul remains inside the brain, but it's empty without its living function, just as the muscles of a dead man don't do anything anymore.

You can go way deep into the subject of dualism and the mind-body issue, but to explain it in short: dualists like Descartes believe that the mind is something outside of the physical world, which operates in the physical world by controlling the body through the brain. So the mind, from a spiritual sphere, pulls the strings of the brain, which in turn controls the body. In other words, dualists believe that there are two sorts of worlds: a spiritual and a material/physical world. The mind/spirit isn't actually a part of the body, but it does connect with it.
Basically, dualists say that there's a world beyond ours that we can not rationally know about, yet somehow they do know about the existence of such a world. It's a world that's impossible to see, feel, hear, taste or smell, but somehow some way they know that it exists (even though that's perfectly impossible, because everything you know, you know only because you see/feel/hear/taste/smell it).