Author Topic: Official Download: Bishop Lamont - The Confessional [Special Untagged Edition]!!  (Read 7396 times)

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
Heres my take on all of it, keep in mind, Nigger Noize was like one of my favorite discs ever, so i don't see Bishop ever topping that, maybe not even with The Reformation. Still though, it's pretty much impossible for Bish to drop a disc that's not straight fire. Everything he's ever done since Nigger Noize has been crazy shit. It's just that he set the bar so fuckin high with Nigger Noize, i don't see him ever topping that with any other street album. I don't know why, i just love that crazy fuckin KKK sound to all of it. But fuck that, let's move onto this shit right here. I been waitin on this for months, now finally i got my hands on it. Imma review this shit:

First off, i'm really into that cover. The stained glass n shit, it looks sick. Stands out amongst all those other typical horseshit covers. But don't judge a book by the muthafuckin cover, so fuck that. Let smove to those tracks:

1. Confessional (Intro)
Fuck intros, but if i had to make a comment, this intro is pretty waack. He just talkin to the preist bout dumb shit, pretty boring. I know it directly relates to the mixtape, but still, seemed a little outta place.

n/a

2. Africa
So here it is, the so called "favorite" track of Bishop that was supposed to be one of the real bangers on the Reformation. If this is what the Reformation is gon be like then shit, i gotta say, i'm disapointed. The beat is aight but it gets pretty fuckin boring after a while, and is really nothing special at all considering it was his favorite. Now, Bishop's flow on this isn't that nice. He just uses his typical up n down style approach to the song which doesn't really do it for me. And that hook, i'm not feelin that either. I see a lotta people like this track though, so whatever i guess. Not everyones cup of tea. But ya, this for me is not Reformation material so it's good that they've taken it off. Make room for the best shit.

6/10

3. Gorilla Pimpin' 5008
First off, why the fuck it called 5008 instead of 2008? Well who cares, fuck that, now onto the song. Aiight song, once again though, nothing special. The beats in n out, pretty dope, but still not anything up there. The features are alright, Busta does his thing. Nothing really more to say other than it's a pretty average soundin Bishop track. I will say though, that organ/violen sound does take it's place in this song. The hook is as it should be, nothin too much. Still, with these softer tracks, they don't really do it too high for me.

7/10

4. Send A Nigga Home
At this point i'm thinkin we just gonna see another Pope Mobile type disc with nothin huge on it, nothin really standin out, but this track proves my ass wrong. It has that real Dre, Aftermath sound to it. Really sounds like a Dre song right here, has that feel to it. Wasn't feelin the drums too much though (this comin from a drummer right here, so i'm a little more picky on that shit). Bishop comes to town on this with the flow/lyrics here. The hook is a nice one too, not fallin off. This one of them joints that you bump so fuckin much, then get sick of in a week, but then bump again next week n its good as fuckin new. Sick track.

8/10

5. City Lights
I don't really know what this was all about. This just seemed to come out of nowhere with that hook in there. Seemed a bit too out of place on this disc. Bishop's flow isn't really anythin on this either. Nothin bad, but nothin good. The beat isn't bad, it's pretty tight, but that hook/chorus/flow just doesn't do it for me. But hey, whats this Jim Jones track everybodys yappin bout, i must be the only one who aint heard that shit yet. Anyways:

6.5/10

6. Ghetto Song
First off, he jackin this name off that track he did on Nigger Noize, n u dont fuck with Nigger Noize. Now, this track, another non-special, non-standount track on terms of flow. I was feelin that beat though, NICE flute up in that shit. Drums were aiight, they fit in. Loved that flute though, was Dre-like. The hook was nice, whoever she is, it was short but nice. Still though, Bish's flow on this was just too slow/boring for me. Other than that it was nice.

6.5/10

7. What People Do
Is it just me or is that sample annyoying as fuck. And that dude on the hook is fuckin ridiculous. C'mon now, that sample mixed with that wack fool on the hook was a no-no for me. That being said, the beat is nice. A nice Bishop beat right here, he can tear these ones up. Not anything special like most the others so far, but also like the others, nothing close to bad. Bish's flow on this is nice. N i think thats cuz the beat. He's good on these type of drum flowin beats, he goes well with it. Although lyrically, he does nothing much, it was a nice track aside from the dumb hook.

6.5/10

8. One Night
Weakest track on the disc right here by far (not that its a bad thing though). Its not the fact that it was too soft, its just that we've heard this typa shit time n time again. The lyrics/flow is nice, but like i said, we've seen this a lot from Bishop n other rappers. The beat is aiight, nothin special (i know, i said that shit like 500 times, but thats what comes to my head with a lot of this shit so far). I like the guitar part though, that stands nice. Hook isn't that good, coulda been better.

5.5/10

9. Right
Shit, this was unexpectedly good. After hearin on most of you not likin it, i actually really like this one. The beat is straight up chillin, that "right, right" sample fits in perfectly. The hook is pretty much on point, although (once again) nothin special and we've heard lots of these hooks from Bish before, but hey, thats his thing. He flows on it nice, but the same ol lyrics outta him. I liked it though, it all went together. MAD chills trak.

7/10

10. Be Cool
Hands down, the most in-yo-fuckin-face-bitch song right here. I've heard it a billion times and it just wont get old. PLAY THIS SHIT IN YOUR MUFUCKIN CAR! Its crazy shit in a car. Ya, them Xzibit/Kass parts murder this fuckin track. Bish dont even gotta be on it, its raw as fuck, that beat = RAW! Straight up drums in this shit. Need MORE of these drums in songs!!! The open high hats n shit, its crazy. Nice bass too. Nothing bad to say bout this track. At first a wasn't feelin it, but now im fuckin all over this shit. But like i said, Xzibit & Ras kill it. The others aren't bad, but Xzibit n Ras Kass just fuck with these beats like mad. Crazy track. N a nice outro on it from Bish, he puts them bitches away. You SHOULDA got Crookeds ass on this!

9/10

11. Better Than You
One point to this song you need to know...Bishop's better than you! That's pretty much the point to this whole song, but it works though. Beat is nice, and once again, them straight up drums in there! Luvin those! Nice flow, aiight hook. Nice track, but nothing amazing.

7.5/10

12. Kissin Tha Curb
Shiiittttt, Busta wreked this shit. Off the bat, you KNOW this is Aftermath in the fuckin house with some raw ass beat like that. Another Dre sounding beat, but you know it that Aftermath shit. Sick flow from Bishop, nice lyrics, nice hook from Busta. Good shit, n i liked that kissin tha curb sample (even though i usually hate samples).

8/10

13. The Name
I gotta be honest, i fuckin hate dirty birdy. He has that E-40 flow n i gotta say, its not my thing. Too out there for me. That being said, the beats aiight, better than average. The guitar is nice. Focus is nice with them strings. Them other guys are aiight, none standing out, but none bad. Could have been better if it was just Bishop.

6.5/10

14. Everyday
Nice track. This one means something! Good lyrics in this shit, great flow. Beat is one of them in n out beats, but a good one at that. Good shit, nothin amazing, but good shit. Hook aint much, but its aiight considerin Bish did it. Not a lot more to say bout shi track.

7/10

15.  Can't Figure It Out
This is one of them like-it-or-not tracks. You do or you dont. I happen to fall into the "do" section. Bishop has them deep lyrics, which rappers need to go somewhere. The beat has them nice keys on the piano n that nice trumpet in the background. The hook is nice, i liked it. I little slow, but still you need them slow beats. Can't just stick to the same shit over n over agiain. I liked this one.

7.5/10

16. Donkey Kong Savage
Shiit, them keys on that piano be goin apeshit on this one. Nothin to complain about on this song. It's a good one, nice flow, aiight hook. Another track that you can't really say much about, but a nice one.

7.5/10

17. Why U Wanna Piss Me Off
Eh, this was a real hit or miss track. The beat was nice, nothin too much, the hook wasn't much, not that bad. Bish's flow was a bit lazy, same ol shit. This track wasn't bad though like a lotta peeps sayin. Thats all.

6/10

18. All On My Dick
Wasn't feelin the hook in this one, but the flow was pretty good. The beat was pretty average. Nothin special, not much to say.

6.5/10

19. The Greatest Trick
Let me just say this: It would have been so much better if it was just fuckin mixed better! Also, this really aint much of a Dre beat...it can't be. He must have had very little to do with it...it's nothing you would expect from the GOD himself. Not bad, just not much for a Dre beat. Bishop flows on it, but that hook, wasn't feelin it. Needs to be fuckin mixed better! Ey, the lyrics are NICE in this one though. Bish returns to his political roots with this and really goes hard with the words here.

6.5/10

LEFT OVERS

20. It Hurts
What the FUCK?!?! This beat is FUCKED! Seriously, this is some mufuckn Detox shit right here. This is what i think of when i think Detox. Man, the beat is just so advanced, i never seen shit like that synthesizer sound before. Crazy beat...but what about the flow??? It's nice. The hook, nice. Sick track, but needs a 3rd verse and WHY wasn't it on the fuckin Official copy!?!? The flow/hooks are right on, but this is some real Reformation shit right here man, purely for that beat!!! I wouldn't go as far as saying Detox, but it's up there. Its just so advanced man, sheeeet.

9/10

21. 2 Much Godfather
Don't know what the title has to do with the song, but it's aiight. Beats pretty dope...nice chillout shit. Flow isn't that good though. Bish just goes on with his typical flow. Nothing bad, hooks aiight. A little to R&B, but nice track, not bad.

7/10

22. Oh My God!!!
So this supposed to be that Dre track? Once again, def nothing special. Sounds like some MAD 50 Cent GRODT shit right here. Was for sure not made for Bishop, instead he musta just copped it. Flow is aiight, hook mediocre.

6.5/10

23. Get Right Back
Where the fuck was this?!? Wasn't on either copy! It was good enough to at least replace one of them earlier tracks. Nice beat, the samples aiight i guess. Nice flow from Bish here. The hook is pretty good with the beat. Still don't know why they didn't put this shit on it.

7/10

OVERALL, this thing was the fuckin shit. I don't care if most songs are 6s n 7s, its still a crazy "mixtape". All tracks make up for one powerful ass disc. It just goes from start to finish, n u gon be like...shit that was dope. This aint one of them "every track is good" discs but its more of a "crazy disc from start to finish, but not all tracks are bomb" disc. BUMP THIS SHIT IN YOUR CAR! Its a real banger n cars n shit. This is some CD material shit right here, n if you aint feelin Bishop, you really aint feelin rap (no offense, but i find it hard to not like the guy, he's fuckin fire man). Once again my favorites were Be Cool and It Hurts. Them 2 are just fuckin illlllll. Thanks for readin. Peace!

8/10
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:17:02 PM by TDOT »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
nice job on the reviews people  :) really honest and detailed  8)

Better Than You - "tough guy" sort of track, some big egos  :P He reminds of 50 Cent a lot on this track. One of the better Focus beats I've heard. 4/5

haha, i can see why you had that impression  :D

but unlike 50 cent, i don't think Bishop is arrogant, he's just often being sarcastic, and has so many subliminal messages  :P ;)

by the way, are you going to come up with a conclusion later?

tonyfett

• Muthafuckin' OG
One Question here about Bishop Lamont mixtape series................

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=183577.0

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Meho, do you plan to write a conclusion, and come up with an overall rating ( just wondering)?

^^ not a bad review...

Africa and Donkey kong have the best instrumentals imo and bishops flow on donkey kong is easily the best imo...if he could spit like that abit more alot of ppl outside dre dickriders would feel him imo and on africa he showed he can work with a beat and be innovative with a beat...something that needs to be done in order to make hits and he should work on doi more creeative shit like that more often..
so basically you're saying that, those who like bishop's music are biased??  :nawty:

.africa actually sounds like something dre would do back in the day when he was still makin fire for joke...
so you're saying that Dre has fallen off a bit?

As for the last joint...the greatest trick or watever its called....the hook is nice and the beat is 'ok' at best imo....as for 'dre falling off etc...if his beats are anything like this for detox, it will be easily the worst shit he has ever dropped...but i already know without hearing the album that dres album will be nothing like the sound of this joint...just from following his career

pz

and this is obvious, why?  :D

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Ok, here's a quick recap just for you:

Overall I'd give it a 4/5 (too lazy to calculate all those ratings). Like I've said before, I've rated it from the aspect of a mixtape, hoping to find some album material on it. And I did. Send A Nigga Home, What People Do, Right, Kissin The Curb, Everyday, Can't Figure It Out, Donkey Kong Savage and possibly The Greatest Trick are all album worthy and of course It Hurts, which we now found out was planned for the album (hope it still makes it). The other tracks were good too, just felt unfinished from either production or Bishop's lazy flow. And his flow is the only thing that still remains a question mark, when he's focused he sounds great but when he's not he's like a westcoast version of 50 Cent. I still think that Pope Mobile was the best representation of what the Reformation is gonna sound like, it ahd that Aftermath feel to it. Now I'm patiently waiting for the suppose leak of Grown Up.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Ok, here's a quick recap just for you:

Overall I'd give it a 4/5 (too lazy to calculate all those ratings). Like I've said before, I've rated it from the aspect of a mixtape, hoping to find some album material on it. And I did. Send A Nigga Home, What People Do, Right, Kissin The Curb, Everyday, Can't Figure It Out, Donkey Kong Savage and possibly The Greatest Trick are all album worthy and of course It Hurts, which we now found out was planned for the album (hope it still makes it). The other tracks were good too, just felt unfinished from either production or Bishop's lazy flow. And his flow is the only thing that still remains a question mark, when he's focused he sounds great but when he's not he's like a westcoast version of 50 Cent. I still think that Pope Mobile was the best representation of what the Reformation is gonna sound like, it ahd that Aftermath feel to it. Now I'm patiently waiting for the suppose leak of Grown Up.

lol thanks  ;) :laugh:

your review looks complete now  ;)

i think it's good that you didn't calculate the average rating; i think the way you rated it is more accurate.

anyway, so we're on the same page when it comes to bishop's flow  ;)

i can't figure it out why he sounds lazy at times; didn't he get enough guidance or?  :-\

I still think that Pope Mobile was the best representation of what the Reformation is gonna sound like, it ahd that Aftermath feel to it

interesting; you reviewed the pope mobile too right?

i'll check that review later to get a better understanding of your quote  ;)

~Lucien~

I'm not feeling this tape at all...

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
what's all the fuss about Africa?That beat soundsquite average sounding to me (bishop on the other hand is really dope there).Then again I really LOVE ghetto song (as a whole, and I really enjoy the beat) and that seems to be 1 of the songs everyone hates
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

k1000

what's all the fuss about Africa?That beat soundsquite average sounding to me (bishop on the other hand is really dope there).Then again I really LOVE ghetto song (as a whole, and I really enjoy the beat) and that seems to be 1 of the songs everyone hates
co-sign. not a fan of the sung hook though.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: My little review of The Confessional
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2008, 09:19:36 AM »
my review:
You basically judge those songs by it's beats?  ???

it's an important factor, cause if i'm not feeling it, then there isn't much possible for me to save a track ( no matter how dope the verse, flow, hook or whatever is).

then again, i didn't comment on everything, that's why the overall rating is not the average of the track ratings put together.

besides,i think it's really hard for me to describe the feelings/thoughts i get when listening to a track.

^^ not a bad review...

Africa and Donkey kong have the best instrumentals imo and bishops flow on donkey kong is easily the best imo...if he could spit like that abit more alot of ppl outside dre dickriders would feel him imo and on africa he showed he can work with a beat and be innovative with a beat...something that needs to be done in order to make hits and he should work on doi more creeative shit like that more often...africa actually sounds like something dre would do back in the day when he was still makin fire for joke...

As for the last joint...the greatest trick or watever its called....the hook is nice and the beat is 'ok' at best imo....as for 'dre falling off etc...if his beats are anything like this for detox, it will be easily the worst shit he has ever dropped...but i already know without hearing the album that dres album will be nothing like the sound of this joint...just from following his career

pz

thanks  :)

well i think we disagree about the production of The Greatest Trick then.

by the way, (to avoid confusion; so i'm not saying that you thought that i said the following-->) i wasn't saying that i thought that The Greatest Trick was an indication of the Detox sound at all.

i was just saying that, this street album track already sounds dope to me, so i wondered what i would think of the production of Detox  ;) 8)

fair enough

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Meho, do you plan to write a conclusion, and come up with an overall rating ( just wondering)?

^^ not a bad review...

Africa and Donkey kong have the best instrumentals imo and bishops flow on donkey kong is easily the best imo...if he could spit like that abit more alot of ppl outside dre dickriders would feel him imo and on africa he showed he can work with a beat and be innovative with a beat...something that needs to be done in order to make hits and he should work on doi more creeative shit like that more often..
so basically you're saying that, those who like bishop's music are biased??  :nawty:

.africa actually sounds like something dre would do back in the day when he was still makin fire for joke...
so you're saying that Dre has fallen off a bit?

pz

and this is obvious, why?  :D

I think bishop has 3 fan bases right now....the ones who followed him from the start, the ones who joined in just because he is signed with dre...and SOME who started to like him after hearin hs music recently...

I think its natural for an average music fan to feel someone even if they aint good simply because they are signed to someone they love...in this case dre...and no i aint sayin bishop is not a good rapper...im just speakin in general...

Then there are people like me who check his music because of his affiliation with dre but are still on the fence in terms of how good he really is...I really do not think bishops buzz is big at all right now outside aftermath fans but i think that can improve hugely after his debut single if its heated.

As for do i think dre has falled off? Without doubt, dre aint been the dre who made every other producers shit look like a level below his music for 3 years now...Im a huge dre fan but im not one who can not be critical of him too, i never cling on someones nuts...i've been highly critical of alot of people but i too have faith. Unlike some people who believe dre has fallen off period, i think he will come back with heat.  I think a good indicator of this is when bishop said that 'i dominate' is 4th single material...meaning that since that was made dre has been stepping his own game up alot because he mst have alot better shit now if 'i dominate' went from 1st to 4th single material.

As for the last comment about detox will easily be his worst shit ever if the greatest trick joint is an indication of how the album will sound, thats really self explanatory if one has heard his two previous joints as im sure nearly everyone in here has.

pz ;-)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Africa is just good hiphop music. Nothing hit potential about it, just solid good hiphop with a cat being innovative and creative over a solid beat. The beat has good atmosphere and sold drums and bishop is just spittin making the joint 'complete'...as in bishop and the beat just go well together and the whole sound. Kinda old school mixed with bishop spittin dope, this is just good music to me homie

pz!

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
I think bishop has 3 fan bases right now....the ones who followed him from the start, the ones who joined in just because he is signed with dre...and SOME who started to like him after hearin hs music recently...

I think its natural for an average music fan to feel someone even if they aint good simply because they are signed to someone they love...in this case dre...and no i aint sayin bishop is not a good rapper...im just speakin in general...

Then there are people like me who check his music because of his affiliation with dre but are still on the fence in terms of how good he really is...I really do not think bishops buzz is big at all right now outside aftermath fans but i think that can improve hugely after his debut single if its heated.
perhaps you should have posted this the first time, as you pretty much got rid of the generaliation, from your old post.

As for do i think dre has falled off? Without doubt, dre aint been the dre who made every other producers shit look like a level below his music for 3 years now...Im a huge dre fan but im not one who can not be critical of him too, i never cling on someones nuts...i've been highly critical of alot of people but i too have faith. Unlike some people who believe dre has fallen off period, i think he will come back with heat.  I think a good indicator of this is when bishop said that 'i dominate' is 4th single material...meaning that since that was made dre has been stepping his own game up alot because he mst have alot better shit now if 'i dominate' went from 1st to 4th single material.

that's not a fact; it's just your perception.

As for the last comment about detox will easily be his worst shit ever if the greatest trick joint is an indication of how the album will sound, thats really self explanatory if one has heard his two previous joints as im sure nearly everyone in here has.

pz ;-)
again, i don't see why it's so obvious.

you need to come with better arguments, otherwise it's pointless to defend such a statement in the first place.

-how do you know that it's a common thought that, Detox would be wack, if the production of "The Greatest Trick" was an indictator of the "sound" of Detox; did you do thorough research?

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!

perhaps you should have posted this the first time, as you pretty much got rid of the generaliation, from your old post.

that's not a fact; it's just your perception.

pz ;-)
again, i don't see why it's so obvious.

you need to come with better arguments, otherwise it's pointless to defend such a statement in the first place.

-how do you know that it's a common thought that, Detox would be wack, if the production of "The Greatest Trick" was an indictator of the "sound" of Detox; did you do thorough research?

I didnt state its a fact that dre fell off, everyone will have an opinion about it and you asked me the question and i answered from 'my perception'....and yes i think he has...for now

As for the first comment about bishops fan base, i could have posted that up but i decided not to.

As for how you dont see it as being obvious, maybe you really aint intelligent or just understand music that much. LMAO@ having to do research....Basic reasons as to why detox would be weaker if greatest trick was an indication of how detox would sound like is because on his first two albums, dre has re-invented music sounds wit his shit for hiphop....greatest trick is not doing anything new and is nowhere near te level of his previous beats IF dre did that.

Dre needs better beats, better lyrics and better songs and album cohesion to top his first two albums....greatest trick is on a mixtape for a reason...because its simplu not good enough for album material and should not be anywhere near detox in my opinion.

My arguements are pretty simple for those with a good mind. Don't waste my time if you gonna ask me stupid question/shit like...'did you do your reserch?'...statement was simpe its pretty and obvious that greatest trick is not detox material at all...

pz

Matty

i got this thought that as soon as we hear bishop over some actual recent produced dre tracks things will fall into place. to me the most banging beat dre has put out in the last few years is outta control remix he did for 50. that track was ridicolous. pretty much everything else has been poor or just average to me.

people were loving the tracks on the busta cd but they didn't do much for me - outta control rmx is the best dre beat since in da club, no actually the best track he's done since 2001. its the only track where his new mixing/drums have combined with that classic dre bounce and a heavy bassline. if thats an old track then hopefully his new stuff is on another level. its just the busta project that makes me doubt - that was a dissapointment from dre. that 'get me some' track was experimental and everyone was loving it but i didn't like it because it didn't have that bounce - 0 funk appeal or bassline. not what i want to hear from dre.

in conclusion, i hope bishop gets on a track thats better than outta control rmx, then he'll be laughing.