Author Topic: R.I.P Tim Russert (1950-2008)  (Read 141 times)

Visualize what you can't see

• Muthafuckin' OG
R.I.P Tim Russert (1950-2008)
« on: June 13, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »
Damn thats really sad news. Thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

MSN Tracking Image
  MSNBC.com
NBC's Tim Russert dead at 58
Washington bureau chief, ‘Meet the Press’ moderator collapsed on job
NBC News and MSNBC
updated 6:11 p.m. CT, Fri., June. 13, 2008

WASHINGTON - Tim Russert, NBC News’ Washington bureau chief and the moderator of “Meet the Press,” died Friday after being stricken at the bureau, NBC News said Friday. He was 58.

Russert was recording voiceovers for Sunday’s “Meet the Press” broadcast when he collapsed. He was rushed to Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, where resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful, said Russert’s physician, Michael Newman, who said the cause of death was not immediately known.

Russert had returned from Italy, where his family was celebrating the graduation of his son, Luke, from Boston College.

“Meet the Press,” which he began hosting in 1991, was considered an essential proving ground in the career of any national politician.

“If you could pass the Tim Russert test, you could do something in this field,” said Howard Fineman, senior Washington correspondent for Newsweek magazine and a columnist for msnbc.com.

Tenacity and passion
Russert’s tenacity as a reporter and his consuming passion for politics were evident during his nearly round-the-clock appearances on NBC and MSNBC on election nights.

Aside from his on-air responsibilities, Russert was also a senior vice president and head of NBC’s overall Washington operations.

He was “one of the premier political journalists and analysts of his time,” Tom Brokaw, the former longtime anchor of “NBC Nightly News,” said in announcing Russert’s death. His assessment was echoed by former CBS News anchor Walter Cronkite, who said, “This is a tragic loss for journalism and for all who were privileged to know him."

Russert’s death left his colleagues devastated.

Brian Williams, managing editor and anchor of “NBC Nightly News,” called his death a “staggering, overpowering and sudden loss.” Steve Capus, president of NBC News, called it “a loss for the entire nation.”

In a statement, President Bush called Russert “an institution in both news and politics for more than two decades.” 

“Tim was a tough and hardworking newsman. He was always well-informed and thorough in his interviews. And he was as gregarious off the set as he was prepared on it,” the president said.

Earlier this year, Time magazine named Russert one of the 100 most influential people in the world.

Mayor Byron Brown ordered flags flown at half-staff in Buffalo, N.Y., his hometown. NBC News planned to air a tribute to Russert on “Dateline NBC” on Friday at 10 p.m. ET, and Brokaw was to host a special edition of “Meet the Press” remembering Russert on Sunday morning.

Senate staffer before entering journalism
Timothy John Russert Jr. was born in Buffalo on May 7, 1950. He was a graduate of Canisius High School, John Carroll University and Cleveland-Marshall College of Law. He was a member of the bar in New York and Washington, D.C.

After graduating from law school, Russert went into politics as a staff operative. In 1976, he worked on the Senate campaign of Daniel Patrick Moynihan, D-N.Y., and in 1982, he worked on Mario Cuomo’s campaign for governor of New York.

Russert joined NBC News in 1984. In April 1985, he supervised the live broadcasts of NBC’s TODAY show from Rome, negotiating and arranging an appearance by Pope John Paul II, a first for American television. In 1986 and 1987, Russert led NBC News’ weeklong broadcasts from South America, Australia and China.

Of his background as a Democratic political operative, Russert said, “My views are not important.”

“Lawrence Spivak, who founded ‘Meet the Press,’ told me before he died that the job of the host is to learn as much as you can about your guest’s positions and take the other side,” he said in a 2007 interview with Time magazine. “And to do that in a persistent and civil way. And that’s what I try to do every Sunday.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said in a statement that Russert “asked the tough questions the right way and was the best in the business at keeping his interview subjects honest.”

Russert wrote two books — “Big Russ and Me” in 2004 and “Wisdom of Our Fathers” in 2006 — both of which were New York Times best-sellers.

Emmy for Reagan funeral coverage
Russert was to have received a lifetime achievement award from the Newhouse School of Public Communication at Syracuse University on June 23. The school said award would be presented posthumously.

In 2005, Russert was awarded an Emmy for his role in the coverage of the funeral of President Ronald Reagan.

His “Meet the Press” interviews with George W. Bush and Al Gore in 2000 won the Radio and Television Correspondents’ highest honor, the Joan S. Barone Award, and the Annenberg Center’s Walter Cronkite Award.

Russert, who received 48 honorary doctorates, won countless other awards for excellence during his career, including the Edward R. Murrow Award from the Radio-Television News Directors Association, the John Peter Zenger Freedom of the Press Award, the American Legion Journalism Award, the Veterans of Foreign Wars News Media Award, the Congressional Medal of Honor Society Journalism Award, the Allen H. Neuharth Award for Excellence in Journalism, the David Brinkley Award for Excellence in Communication and the Catholic Academy for Communication’s Gabriel Award.

He was a member of the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame and a member of the board of directors of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y.

He was a trustee of the Freedom Forum’s Newseum and a member of the board of directors of the Greater Washington Boys and Girls Club and America’s Promise — Alliance for Youth.

In 1995, the National Father’s Day Committee named him “Father of the Year,” Parents magazine honored him as “Dream Dad” in 1998, and in 2001 the National Fatherhood Initiative also recognized him as Father of the Year.

Survivors include his wife, Maureen Orth, a writer for Vanity Fair magazine, whom he met at the 1976 Democratic National Convention; and their son, Luke.
Alex Johnson of msnbc.com and John Yang and Ken Strickland of NBC News contributed to this report.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25145431/
MSN Privacy . Legal
© 2008 MSNBC.com
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 11:12:49 PM by Visualize what you can't see »

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
Re: R.I.P Tim Russert (1950-2008)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 05:07:48 PM »
Russert was a shill. 

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 05:21:31 PM »
Damn thats really sad news. Thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

thats a dope pic on your sig

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Visualize what you can't see

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 06:32:13 PM »
Russert was a shill. 

Not more or less than any other journalist. And if he was a shill what would you call Bill Oreilley?

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 06:34:59 PM »
I would call Bill O'reilly one of satan's underlings. 

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 06:35:46 PM »
Never really heard of him..But RIP!!
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 07:00:35 PM »
I would call Bill O'reilly one of satan's underlings. 

on point.

this bitch needs to be 6 feet under, too. 

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 10:53:23 PM »
He would ask the neo-cons the questions everyone else was afraid to ask. I think dude was alright, and too bad he could have seen this historic election that he seemed so excited to cover. This is truly my first campaign that I'm following closely, and so I am just getting to know the journalist, and aside from Keith Olbermann and Larry King, I think Russert is keep it very honest. To think, before I followed the 2004 election though the Daily Show... lol. Jon Stewart for Russert's replacement.

SEERLOVESKAIN

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 04:36:05 AM »
DAMN...