Author Topic: Vanilla Ice - Why The Hate?  (Read 2029 times)

=[Euthanasia]=

Vanilla Ice - Why The Hate?
« on: May 04, 2002, 04:49:32 AM »
I'm not gonna lie, when "Ice, Ice Baby" came about I thought it was pretty tight, lol, the beat was pretty dope & the lyrics, even though he didn't pen them alone, were still pretty good. I never bought the single or his album but none the less I still liked the song. But why do peeps still hate on him? I was watching his Behind The Music the other day on VH1 & that boy has been through some shit in his time, especially after the whole rap thing blew up in his face. He tried commiting suicide due to the backlash & he's been looked at as a joke ever since, even to this very day in many peoples eyes.
Even though Eminem was obviously not inspired by him, Ice was still the first real solo white rapper to really blow up. Maybe it's the hair/dancing/costumes that people still hate about him, maybe it was the fact that he over-acted on the whole 'wanting to be black' thing, I dunno. He knows he sold out though, maybe thats where the backlash started, because he used to have all black crowds before he become big & he never used to dress in those gay costumes. He even said back then it was all about the money. The one thing that made him sound like a dick is back a few years ago when he said Suge held him over that balcony, but then a few years later he denied it when they even had it on tape as evidence!
I think another thing people didn't like about him was the fact he lied (or as he said his record company lied) about his background. They said something about him being gang affiliated, & he wasn't, lol.
I don't think any of that was bad enough for the backlash he's had to live with though, all the hate that he still gets from the press & people in general. No matter what he does now he's still gonna be known as Vanilla Ice, that white boy who tried to rap, the joke etc.
What does everyone else think about him though? Him as an MC? I don't think he was that bad of an MC considering, I mean he was just as good (or as bad, however you wanna look at it) as some of the shitty rappers that were around at that time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Matty_C

• 'G'
Re: Vanilla Ice - Why The Hate?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2002, 07:13:20 AM »
Obviosuly the whole Ice Ice Baby saga was selling out and a mistake, but everyone makes mistakes. He's been through alot of shit and i dont personally think hes that bad an MC, he's also alot into that rap/rock stuff and i think his stuff is pretty good, his newest cd had a few decent cuts on it.

He doesnt deserve all the hate he gets, but he will always get it, just because he's Vanilla Ice, back when i was into that shit, i loved his Hard Rock/Rap cd Hard To Swallow, but yeah, i got no problem with Vanilla Ice, takes alot of determination to push through all the hate he gets and still make music, and pretty decent music too.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2002, 08:22:02 AM »
I liked the song but I hated Vanilla Ice because I was an MC Hammer fan when I was a kid. The shit back then was you either pick one of them at my school so it was like a horrible parody of a Pac VS. B.I.G./Nas VS. Jay feud. I always looked at Vanilla as a cheap Hammer clone since then.

KVB

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2002, 09:22:19 AM »
That "Ice Ice Baby" track is wack as fuck IMO... I can't really speak on Vanilla Ice, but I heard A LOT of hiphop fans + other rappers disrespect him in songs/interviews, so I guess he wasn't respected in the hip-hop community... I personally don't care about him.

~1~

S.G.V.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2002, 02:55:24 PM »
on the real i have a copy of the vanilla ice cd....personally i liked vanilla...i still like him....i liked hammer....i still like hammer too....his new album was good...hell even vanillas rock cd was good.....LONG LIVE VANILLA ICE!!!!!!.....(hes the true ice, thats why he whooped ice-t and ice cube on celebrity deathmatch...lol)

Don Seer

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2002, 03:08:11 PM »
'rollin down the street in my 5.0
with the rag top down so my hair can blow'

ice was the shit back then..

CodeCaine

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • reppin for the south, North Cackalac fool
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2002, 05:03:50 PM »
yall ever see that movie with him in it? he's ridin around on a motorcyle durin most of if....
It's CodeKane fool
Everybody knows Carolina's my home, this is my heart baby, this is my soul.

Folks think I'm out of my mind
I'm out of line a lot of times
I don't give a fuck bout guidelines
Do what I wanna do, when I wanna do it
You-you ain't like what I'm doin', you ain't got to
Petey Pab

Plus a buncha country boys wit gats, you don't want none-a that
-Scales

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2002, 09:32:34 PM »
yall ever see that movie with him in it? he's ridin around on a motorcyle durin most of if....

Lol...

"Cool as Ice"

And I hate myself everyday for watching it one boring sunday afternoon on vh-1....lol

Peace
Hatesrats 2oo2

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2002, 01:37:33 AM »

LOL, I liked that movie back then & it's pretty funny if you watch it these days, laughing at yourself for thinking he was a pretty coo' guy with those tramlines in his hair  ;D

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

KVB

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2002, 06:35:59 AM »
Anybody know why Eminem hate Vanilla Ice so much ? I think white rappers wasn't accepted in the hip-hop culture before Eminem came on the scene... I also believe Eminem thinks that Vanilla disprected the white rappers' legacy, which was simply non-existent before Marshall Mathers, so it don't make sense to me...

~1~

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2002, 06:44:44 AM »
Anybody know why Eminem hate Vanilla Ice so much ? I think white rappers wasn't accepted in the hip-hop culture before Eminem came on the scene... I also believe Eminem thinks that Vanilla disprected the white rappers' legacy, which was simply non-existent before Marshall Mathers, so it don't make sense to me...

~1~

There's been quite a few white rappers before Em, the Beastie Boys, that guy from 3rd Base etc. I think Em hates him simply because it's Vanilla Ice & it's the 'cool' thing to hate on him. Thats basically why I brought up this topic, to ask why  ;D

KVB

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2002, 06:55:17 AM »
>= link=board=outbound;num=1020523772;start=0#10 date=05/05/02 at 11:44:44]

There's been quite a few white rappers before Em, the Beastie Boys, that guy from 3rd Base etc. I think Em hates him simply because it's Vanilla Ice & it's the 'cool' thing to hate on him. Thats basically why I brought up this topic, to ask why  ;D

Uhh how could I forget about the Beastie Boys... fuck... yeah I know there was some white rappers before him, but he really broke the passage for white rappers to come through... I bet Bubba Sparxxx would have a hard time blowing up if the world had never been introduced to Marshall Mathers... I bet Eminem saw Vanilla Ice as an insult to hip-hop music, to white rappers legacy... and dissed him to gain desired respect in the hip-hop community.

One

doggmastah

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • All hoez n ya kneez:make way fo tha masta of geez!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2002, 10:56:54 AM »
Like DEL- the Funky Homosapiens once said: ..." Ice is cool but i cant stand Vanilla"...

I guess he was as wack as his rival back then: Mc Hammer...
I guess if he didnt seel so many records as he did back then people didnt hated him so much...

He was cool i guess...(lol)

Peace1!
PEACE1!

AMC- Spittin' from Portugal da French emcee!

Affiliated to the WSFC-West Side French Connection-

Ace4Money

• Lil Geezy
  • Out Cold Crew 4 Life
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2002, 03:53:55 PM »
:D vanilla ice is tight listen to the song hooked thats his best track ever

4 KiN L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Me Beamer...
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2002, 02:42:52 AM »
I find a lot of Eminem fans hate him, well most of them anyways. But i don't even understand why Em talks shit about Vanilla just coz he sed Dre iz betta then him, can't he stand the facts?