Author Topic: For The 1st half of 2008, The South has it on lock again  (Read 424 times)

rayallen0

Re: For The 1st half of 2008, The South has it on lock again
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 02:22:17 AM »
All I know is 2008 is on his way to be the worst year EVER in rap history .. not one solid mainstream album yet (don't tell me Ross, Wayne or Plies are solid efforts , I'd laugh at you) and the more hip hop stuff hasn't been very good either
i think its been a solid mainstream year...altho i still havent listened to plies or weezy
ross: 8/10
Snoop: 9/10
Flo Rida: 7/10
Gnarls Barkley: 9/10
Webbie: 6.5/10
Bun B: 9/10
The Roots: 9/10
Trina: 6.5/10
Fat Joe: 5.5/10
Atmosphere(sold like 50k 1st week which makes it mainstream): 9.5/10

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 02:36:28 AM »
All I know is 2008 is on his way to be the worst year EVER in rap history .. not one solid mainstream album yet (don't tell me Ross, Wayne or Plies are solid efforts , I'd laugh at you) and the more hip hop stuff hasn't been very good either
i think its been a solid mainstream year...altho i still havent listened to plies or weezy

When Did Webbie release anything?

Al Bundy

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 03:09:11 AM »

:grumpy:

MediumL

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 05:54:55 AM »
Shame the only hot southern mainstream album so far was Bun Bs. Hopefully we get the Big Boi album or even better Andre 3000 drops something. Paper Trail may be hot but the name already makes it kinda sound like its gonna be the same bs TI usually raps about.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

D~Nice

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 06:49:44 AM »
Well the South deserve it. They are the only dudes that actually release on time. Fuck these West rappers wit their fake ass release dates. Talkin bout bringin the West back. Nigga you aint had one release. The South have the game on lock.

That is part of it. They also support each other on they projects and they fans support their albums when they drop. It amazes me as big as California is, that more people do not support Cali artists when their albums drop.

Lunatic

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 06:56:34 AM »
Paper Trail may be hot but the name already makes it kinda sound like its gonna be the same bs TI usually raps about.
Paper Trail is not a title about money or anything like that, T.I. called it that because this is (he claims) the first time he wrote down the lyrics on "paper" since i'm serious (his debut).
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 06:59:50 AM »
Well the South deserve it. They are the only dudes that actually release on time. Fuck these West rappers wit their fake ass release dates. Talkin bout bringin the West back. Nigga you aint had one release. The South have the game on lock.

That is part of it. They also support each other on they projects and they fans support their albums when they drop. It amazes me as big as California is, that more people do not support Cali artists when their albums drop.
Exactly. They all mak guest appereances on the songs and have huge remixes that have videos on BET. Remember in the 90s where everyone on the West supported eachother. Thats why the West was on top. Its good to see Malone fuck wit everyone on the West but apart from him and Game. Who else holds it down on the West?

D~Nice

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 07:41:05 AM »

Exactly. They all mak guest appereances on the songs and have huge remixes that have videos on BET. Remember in the 90s where everyone on the West supported eachother. Thats why the West was on top. Its good to see Malone fuck wit everyone on the West but apart from him and Game. Who else holds it down on the West?

That was one thing I loved about the album All Eyez On Me. He united the coast on that one. Everyone from the Bay to LA to west coast producers.

Lazar

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 08:36:03 AM »
Yeah, bad year for rap so far. Only records I enjoyed so far are Snoop´s "Ego Trippin" (4/5), Weezy´s album (not a fan of him, but the album has some strong cuts 3/5) and the N.E.R.D. album (really like it, but it´s not really a hip-hop record y´all know 4/5)

Hope the third and fourth quarter will give us some better shit. Game and Cube could be great, not sure about Nas, Busta, Malone and Dogg Pound. Except Malone, all their tracks doesn´t really impressed me. Bishop ( ::)) could be great when "The Reformation" drops this year...

rayallen0

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »

When Did Webbie release anything?
awhile ago u never hear INDEPENDENT?

D~Nice

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 09:29:42 PM »

That even more shows the South has it on lock. Even the subpar is selling.

D~Nice

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 09:40:08 PM »
Bun-B's album is probably the best from the South this year. And it might not go gold. Not unusual, Scarface had one of the best albums from the South last year with Made and no one hardly bought that either. Cunnylinguists too with Dirty Acres. Not so say sales dictate a good album, but it is nice every once and a while a great album catches on with the people and they go out and cop it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 09:45:35 PM by D~Nice »

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 09:46:59 PM »

thats the difference between the south n the west...imo

when the south aint have any say in the game.. we jus did our shit and wasnt worryin bout takin the game over...dre told the game we had somethin 2 say... if u dont listen ya bad.. then suddenly it feel in our hands..

did we care no... do we care if we lose it no.. do we hate if somebody else takes it...no... we supported everybody n still do...

but when it comes our own..thats what we do..regardless if its bullshit or not...

best southern album to date is a mixtape... devin's cougheebrothers mixtape is better than anything dropped...this yr..

D~Nice

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »
Bun-B's album is probably the best from the South this year. And it might not go gold.
Not unusual, Scarface had one of the best albums from the South last year with
Made and no one hardly bought that either.
Cunnylinguists too with Dirty Acres.

Not sure about Bun B....
I said 3 out of 5 above,and that´s based on the overall feeling.
That said there´s some heaters on there.

-Scarface was dope 4 out of 5
so was
-Cunnylinguists 4 out of 5

Well I have not heard alot of just dope shit from the South this year. If it came out it must be hella underground so for me so far that is the best I have heard so far. I don't think Killer Mike has dropped yet and I'm sure the 2nd half of the year some more quality stuff will drop from everywhere.

D~Nice

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 12:28:01 PM »
Bun-B's album is probably the best from the South this year. And it might not go gold.
Not unusual, Scarface had one of the best albums from the South last year with
Made and no one hardly bought that either.
Cunnylinguists too with Dirty Acres.

Not sure about Bun B....
I said 3 out of 5 above,and that´s based on the overall feeling.
That said there´s some heaters on there.

-Scarface was dope 4 out of 5
so was
-Cunnylinguists 4 out of 5

Well I have not heard alot of just dope shit from the South this year. If it came out it must be hella underground so for me so far that is the best I have heard so far. I don't think Killer Mike has dropped yet and I'm sure the 2nd half of the year some more quality stuff will drop from everywhere.

I missed out on Genacide (6-2´s group) and One Gud cide (Twisted Black´s group) when they came out,
so I have been listening to their albums quite a lot lately.
Devin´s Smoke Sessions vol.1 is pretty dope,that must be the best south album so far this year.

I have to check those out, I have not heard Devin's yet.