Author Topic: Monagamy A Myth?  (Read 1076 times)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Monagamy A Myth?
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2008, 05:02:13 PM »
I wouldn't call my partner a girlfriend in a free relationship. It would just be the person I fuck most or something. "Main bitch". Not girlfriend, let alone wife. And no, to the other part of your statement. But you can have your own opinion.

Well, there's people who (say they) really love each other and who are really into each other, but they don't attach so much value to monogamy - they don't mind their partner getting some joy with someone else. What do you think all those clubs for couples are for? They can be happily married, yet getting their fuck on like they're from fraternities and sororities.

I don't mind people doing whatever they think is right. That doesn't mean that I approve of any promiscuosity - not at all. People are free to fuck around, if that's what they think is right, but that doesn't mean I won't despise them for behaving in a way of which I strongly disapprove. Whatever flows your boat though...

1. This is something I can't quite relate to, cause I'm not like that at all, but if it's not cheating and shit, and really as chilled out and mutual as you describe it there, then I don't have a problem with it. Maybe I should have been more explicit in my initial statement.

2. This is something we can never agree on, because I'm not down with that anarchist type of mentality at all. Do I mind people doing whatever the fuck they want? If it's something fucked up, you can bet your ass I do.

Then who's to decide if something's fucked up? I say people can only do it for themselves. Who else is to set the standards, and what if the standards seem unnatural to you? Wouldn't you follow your own path, without taking other peoples hurt feelings into consideration?

Only the next man goes to hell, and I damn sure don't bemoan the loss of that immoral ass nigga. But even besides that, I doubt that a healthy person would find everything that I would call "fucked up" right even if he or she does it. Some people don't go for the right thing, but for the fun thing.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Narrator

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 04:44:20 PM »
And if anyone would care to elaborate, I would be very interested to hear why staying single for sexual purposes is "shallow."

It's shallow because, frankly, there IS more to life, and to being with women, than just sex. If that's your attitude, then it's basically like saying sex is the only thing you think women are good for. That, I hope you would agree, really is a totally adolescent, and even misogynist, mentality. And people who do live like that don't always wind up being happy in the long run.

Personally, I disagree with Mitt Romney's claim that "you don't need sex; you just think you do", because obviously that's not true, either. I actually WOULD go so far as to say that if you're married to a woman who you can't get hard for, and your marriage is suffering for it, you do actually need to think long and hard about whether her personality makes up for her lack of, uh, "sexually stimulating" characteristics (some columnist's words, not mine). Whether that leads to separation and/or divorce is another matter.

So, to sum it up, my attitude is, Yes, you do need sex to be happy, but at the same time, there's more to life than sex. Being stuck with a woman you don't like and don't find attractive, for the "moral superiority" of being monogamous = bullshit. Staying single just so that you can fuck a random stranger every night = also bullshit. Find the balance, and find what suits you.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2008, 03:36:56 PM »
And if anyone would care to elaborate, I would be very interested to hear why staying single for sexual purposes is "shallow."

It's shallow because, frankly, there IS more to life, and to being with women, than just sex. If that's your attitude, then it's basically like saying sex is the only thing you think women are good for. That, I hope you would agree, really is a totally adolescent, and even misogynist, mentality. And people who do live like that don't always wind up being happy in the long run.

Well first of all, you're simply assuming someone who doesn't want to be with only one person thinks all there is to life is sex. That is seriously flawed logic and it also doesn't mean you think all a woman is good for is sex. Where are you getting these assumptions? To me, making these types of sweeping generalizations about a huge group of people is shallow. And regarding people being happy, people who are in committed relationships often end up miserable. What is your point? People whose foundation of happiness is based squarely on their sexual habits/relationships are probably not going to be happy no matter what.

Anyone else care to explain the logic behind saying anything but monogamous committed relationships are shallow?

Narrator

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2008, 07:36:52 PM »
Well first of all, you're simply assuming someone who doesn't want to be with only one person thinks all there is to life is sex. That is seriously flawed logic and it also doesn't mean you think all a woman is good for is sex. Where are you getting these assumptions? To me, making these types of sweeping generalizations about a huge group of people is shallow.

I don't see how it doesn't follow. I mean, that person clearly values sex more than just about anything else they could or would get out of a relationship.

And regarding people being happy, people who are in committed relationships often end up miserable. What is your point? People whose foundation of happiness is based squarely on their sexual habits/relationships are probably not going to be happy no matter what.

Yes, that is my point exactly. Though I have also tried to demonstrate a more nuanced view by explaining that I understand how sex can make or break a relationship.

Anyone else care to explain the logic behind saying anything but monogamous committed relationships are shallow?

I dunno about any of these other people, but I sure as hell never said that. Personally, I'm not interested in a committed relationship right now (though my reason has nothing to do with wanting to fuck a lot of women).

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2008, 02:32:27 AM »
Well first of all, you're simply assuming someone who doesn't want to be with only one person thinks all there is to life is sex. That is seriously flawed logic and it also doesn't mean you think all a woman is good for is sex. Where are you getting these assumptions? To me, making these types of sweeping generalizations about a huge group of people is shallow.

I don't see how it doesn't follow. I mean, that person clearly values sex more than just about anything else they could or would get out of a relationship.

And maybe nothing that comes from a relationship would appeal to the person in question. Relationships are not for everybody. Just because somebody is not interested in a relationship does not mean they are shallow. I don't follow your logic.

Narrator

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2008, 07:31:11 AM »
And maybe nothing that comes from a relationship would appeal to the person in question. Relationships are not for everybody. Just because somebody is not interested in a relationship does not mean they are shallow. I don't follow your logic.

But that's not what I said.  I simply said that wanting to stay single to sleep around is shallow.  I didn't say people who aren't interested in relationships are shallow.  Otherwise, I would insulting myself.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2008, 05:17:58 PM »
^^^That doesn't make sense though. How does staying single to sleep around = shallow? Is that better or worse than getting into a relationship knowing you are going to sleep around?

Narrator

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2008, 06:45:52 AM »
^^^That doesn't make sense though. How does staying single to sleep around = shallow? Is that better or worse than getting into a relationship knowing you are going to sleep around?

You aren't making sense.  Are you saying that people who get into relationships always are going to "sleep around"?

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2008, 12:15:22 PM »

You aren't making sense.  Are you saying that people who get into relationships always are going to "sleep around"?

no, I'm saying if someone is inclined to sleep around, isn't it better for them no stay out of a relationship? Knowing yourself and making personal decisions accordingly is hardly shallow.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2008, 04:36:47 PM »
^Lol@this nigga waiting to respond until the other dude is gone
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!