Author Topic: 360 Degrees of SCARFACE-Pt 1  (Read 358 times)

themovie

360 Degrees of SCARFACE-Pt 1
« on: July 26, 2002, 09:28:40 AM »
"As told to Jigsaw.

As a child, I wanted to be alone. On your report card, you know how it says, “Works/plays well with others?” Well, I always got a minus with that shit. I did not work or play will with others. I was just a loner. There are still days like that where I just want to be alone. I’m in my own world. I love the idea being in my own world. Fuck adapting and adjusting.

I got started in music playing guitar and bass – all that shit. I had a few bands, but I used to run the streets with my boom box then go see my uncles and play their guitars. My mom had like two jobs so I stayed with my grand mom most of the time. They listened to rock-n-roll over there. My grand mother was in the [church] choir so she sung gospel, my uncles listened to rock-n-roll, my mom and my aunt they listened to disco. I like the beat of hip-hop, the idea of saying it. I was cussing in my raps in junior high school. I don’t know what it was back then., but it was just rapping to hear a nigga rap. That was ’79.

With the Geto Boys, I was just glad to get my record out. It wasn’t about who was the leader of the group. Fuck that leader shit, because we got street leaders. I was more interested in getting my shit heard. It was hard as hell to get started. It never really dawned on me how big I was until I left Houston.

The conflicts came after the Geto Boys album came out and went platinum. What happened is, Willie [Dee] wanted to go solo, because there was no Geto Boys, so it forced me to go solo. What was my only way out. Willie said he wasn’t in the group no more and he wanted to do his own thing.

I had no idea how big I was. Right now, I feel honored to be a part of [early Southern hip-hop], but to me, music is so much bigger than one particular region. I didn’t pioneer the sound of the South, but I did make mu’fuckas want to go out and make some music. I don’t want to be considered a pioneer. I don’t like that terminology but I do like that people say, “Yeah, man took the step, let’s go!” I like universal music, man. I am riding around now listening to Mother’s Finest.

Times change man, as music and people do. The music buyers are different these days. I want to stick to my guns and do what’s me. I don’t focus on doing dance music and saying the most bizarre shit you done ever heard, but I d focus on good shit. Just because Cash Money was hot or No Limit was hot, I didn’t go rapping like P or like Juvenile or trying to be Baby. When Luther Vandross came out, Frankie Beverly didn’t twist his shit up to be like Luther. That’s what you buy the record for – you don’t buy somebody’s record to hear nobody else. My music just grew. I think I just grew up.

As a rapper, I wasn’t trying to be political. There’s injustice against niggas all across the world. If that’s what the definition is, so if that’s it fine. I do like to speak out if niggas are getting mishandled. They going to always harass niggas, man. As long as they know what you doing, they got your ass locked. But as soon as they don’t know what the fuck you doing, then they got a problem. Them people don’t know what the new record sounds like, but all they can do is be scared. They know I am going to say something. They [authorities] work a whole gotdamn year and for less than a 100 grand a year and I went to the Mercedes lot yesterday and drove off the lot what they make in a year. I’d be jealous too."

allhiphop.com

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

=[Euthanasia]=

Re: 360 Degrees of SCARFACE-Pt 1
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 04:07:52 AM »
Great read, thanks for that. 'Face sounds like he knows what he wants and he's got his head well screwed on.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

West Coast Veteran

Re: 360 Degrees of SCARFACE-Pt 1
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2002, 02:46:37 PM »
Tight. Thanks themovie.