Author Topic: Mos Def vs Talib Kweli  (Read 363 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

Mos Def vs Talib Kweli
« on: July 18, 2002, 08:51:55 AM »
Which member of Black Star are you feeling more?

My vote has to go with Mos Def. Although I do think that Talib is probably better lyrically, there is something about Mos that draws me into liking him more. Plus it seems as if Talib may be starting to go the commercial route, whereas Mos is keeping it real with projects like Black Jack Johnson which show that he is not afraid to experiment, and that he doesn't really care that much about mainstream commercial success.

What about you lot?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

S.G.V.

Re: Mos Def vs Talib Kweli
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2002, 09:48:23 AM »
without a doubt its kweli....hes just rawer...he can rock any track...he can rock with anyone...and his lyrics are always on point....

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2002, 01:37:48 AM »
Talib Kweli. Within Black Star Talib always came off as the better MC lyrically and flowise to me, don't get me wrong I do like Mos Def but sometimes he can sound a bit flat flowise, his lyrics are always on point though. I don't think Talib will ever do the sellout thing and make records just to chart, he's got too much love for what he does to do that, but I do think his sound is beginning to sound a little more appealing to the mainstream, I don't see that as a problem though, aslong as his lyrics are still as consistent and he doesn't venture into the whole 'thug', 'bling bling' ish (which he won't) then it's fine with me.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

infinite59

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 05:38:02 AM »
Ya'll made some good arguments for both sides.

Not to take anything away from Mos Def.  His album was bangin for sure.  And he's a Muslim, so it's nice for me to hear a Muslim rapper who begins his album by saying in Arabic, "All praises to Allah, most beneficient, most merciful."

Nevertheless, Talib had the better solo album.  "Reflection Eternal" was one of the best 3 albums of the Year 2000.  Talib also came tighter on the Black Star album like Euthenasia said.

So my vote=  Talib Kweli

HairWuzEre

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Timbaland
It's a hard decision...
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 02:45:24 PM »
I like Mos Def better, (even though Kweli and Mos Def are both in my top ten "Favorite MCs" list).