Author Topic: STILL FLY is an ignorant song ?  (Read 407 times)

themovie

STILL FLY is an ignorant song ?
« on: July 18, 2002, 10:25:54 PM »
This is an "article" from sohh.com

"Sometimes I just can't believe how low a rapper will go for a hit. They will go as far as distorting the mind of the youth and maybe even adults for that quick dollar. And a lot of you fall for it saying, "it's just music!" The latest poisoning of the mind comes from New Orleans own Big Tymers. Their song, "Still Fly" has to be one of the most ignorant and sad songs of the new century. Peep the chorus:

"Gator boots with the pimped out Gucci suits/
Ain't got no job, but I stay sharp/
Can't pay my rent, cause all my money's spent /
But that's okay, cause I'm Still Fly/
Got a quarter tank of gas - in my new E class/
Cause that's alright, cause I'm gon' ride/
Got everythang - in my momma name/
But I'm Hood Rich - dadah-dadah da-dah da-dah da-dah"

Yeah, it may sound funny at first, but this is a serious problem among Black and Latino households. They're making it sound like its cool that they don't have a job, that they use their rent money to stay dipped in the latest gear. That all of their bills are in their mother's name so they don't have to be responsible for it... what kind of ignorant, low-life irresponsible lifestyle is that? They're basically telling cats that "it's alright" to use their money for new gear and cars instead of paying their bills and rent. And then they wonder why they can't buy a house, get a loan, or get out of the projects or their momma's house. But I guess it doesn't matter 'cause you're still fly right?

I've seen too many children go hungry because their parents decided that those mini-Jordan's and Baby Guess outfits looked too cute to pass up. Or that they just had to get their drink on at the club and let their mother feed the baby. Of course if you're responsible with your money and you can afford to do these types of things, cool, do ya thing. But this is for the folks who have no heat in the winter because they want those new Jordan's that just dropped or that fly jacket they saw in the window. By the time you wake up, you will realize that you have nothing, no property, no assets, living check to check, trapped in a financial situation you want to get out of. Once you wake up, you'll realize that your credit is shot, you owe $10,000 on your car when it's worth $3,000 and all that gear you bought is worn out or doesn't fit anymore.

It's funny how cats think that just because they aren't on the streets doing illegal things that they're living positive. NEWSFLASH: Just because you're not breaking the law doesn't mean you're doing positive things!!!! The chorus of that song does nothing but encourage the urban community to waste their money and not prepare for their future or their children's future. These emcees need to be careful in what they're putting out there man. And don't email me calling me a hater or whatever. It has nothing to do with that, it has to do with sending out the right or wrong message, period!

For real though, learn to manage your money because it will help immensely in the long run. Be disciplined, open a 401K savings account or put away 10% of every paycheck where it won't be touched (I still struggle with this!). Pay your debts and monthly bills and stay away from the credit cards as much as possible (I'm still paying off mine!!). Make some priorities for yourself and take care of your financial business first, then go shopping or whatever. This isn't the time to play with your money, the bad economy, layoffs left and right, save yourself from the stress and tribulation of being in debt."

I LIKE THEIR IGNORANCE....

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Sikotic™

Re: STILL FLY is an ignorant song ?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2002, 10:32:43 PM »
I dont like the song but whoever wrote that needs to stop being an asshole and enjoy music for what it is......entertainment.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2002, 01:49:38 AM »
I actually agree with this guy because music can have an influence on it's audience to a certain extent, especially younger fans. I mean when young kids see hip-hop videos and they see the chains etc they want those things and in reality there's no way they can afford them then and there without doing something illegal, and you have artists basically saying 'Look at me, I don't have a job but I got all this shit, so why don't you just laze about and do what I do because i'm fly and you can be too'. If you have your own mind then you won't take that shit seriously and you just accept it as entertainment but there are people that take shit like this too seriously. And with straight 'bling bling' artists they usually have nothing positive to say throughout their whole album, it's all basically the same shit, thats basically why I don't listen to too much of those artists.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

themovie

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2002, 02:05:44 AM »
>= link=board=outbound;num=1027067154;start=0#2 date=07/19/02 at 06:49:38]I actually agree with this guy because music can have an influence on it's audience to a certain extent, especially younger fans. I mean when young kids see hip-hop videos and they see the chains etc they want those things and in reality there's no way they can afford them then and there without doing something illegal, and you have artists basically saying 'Look at me, I don't have a job but I got all this shit, so why don't you just laze about and do what I do because i'm fly and you can be too'. If you have your own mind then you won't take that shit seriously and you just accept it as entertainment but there are people that take shit like this too seriously. And with straight 'bling bling' artists they usually have nothing positive to say throughout their whole album, it's all basically the same shit, thats basically why I don't listen to too much of those artists.

Jay z too

King-Suge

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 1000 plus posts under my belt..Its GOOD to be King
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 06:23:11 AM »
>= link=board=outbound;num=1027067154;start=0#2 date=07/19/02 at 06:49:38]I actually agree with this guy because music can have an influence on it's audience to a certain extent, especially younger fans. I mean when young kids see hip-hop videos and they see the chains etc they want those things and in reality there's no way they can afford them then and there without doing something illegal, and you have artists basically saying 'Look at me, I don't have a job but I got all this shit, so why don't you just laze about and do what I do because i'm fly and you can be too'. If you have your own mind then you won't take that shit seriously and you just accept it as entertainment but there are people that take shit like this too seriously. And with straight 'bling bling' artists they usually have nothing positive to say throughout their whole album, it's all basically the same shit, thats basically why I don't listen to too much of those artists.

Guys-it aint nothin but music--for REAL.  A lot of people like Cash Moneys music cos its careless and fun--they wouldnt sell so many units if that wasnt the case.  And the song is a feel good joint about keeping things positive even when situations are down.  Yah--I may be poor, but you know what-fuck yall--Im still fly... how is that not positive thinking?
I only gave you the crown, so I could shoot it off your fucking head-Suge

Refer to me as your highness or dont refer at all

The King is Eddie Winslow/Youre a modern day Urkel/Ill throw you in the pool and hide your pink snorkel.

.:R-E-L:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R-E-L...comin w/ that punk rap!  
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 07:22:53 AM »
if theyr making it sound funny that they dont have a job.....y would they make the song??

making songs is their job....so theyr, in essence, working while this song is being put out.....

also....u should b realistic for a sec....how could u buy:

1)Gators
2)Gucci Suits
3)Benzes (G n E classes)

if ur broke??
Straight Outta Muthafuckin So. Kaliforn-i-a
909 805 310 323 213 818 661 949 714 609 415 619 562

.:R-E-L:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R-E-L...comin w/ that punk rap!  
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2002, 07:23:27 AM »
........so its all in fun, entertainment
Straight Outta Muthafuckin So. Kaliforn-i-a
909 805 310 323 213 818 661 949 714 609 415 619 562

S.G.V.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2002, 06:15:58 PM »
people need to STOP TAKING MUSIC SO SERIOUS!....they dont take movies serious or t.v., so why music?...people always looking for something to bitch about...GET OVER IT.....

P Nelson

• 40 illa
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2002, 07:49:41 PM »
lol they juss mad cuz they dont like cash money. lol 100% hater shit who cant stand entertainment