Author Topic: Gangsta Blac "Da Undaground King"  (Read 294 times)

themovie

Gangsta Blac "Da Undaground King"
« on: July 17, 2002, 08:14:12 PM »
This is another tight album.....

"This is Gangsta Blac's 5th CD. For those who dont know, GB used to be with Three 6 Mafia back in the day and dropped his first album "Can It Be" on Prophet Entertainment and since then, he has dropped each of his next albums on a different label. Now he's with his own label Taylor Made and Mouth Of The South hopefully he can find stability there and keep droppin solid albums.

The first track is "Undaground King" and in this song Blac describes many different aspects of his career, from splitting money with DJ Paul in his Cutlass, to not working with big labels: 'Thats why I'm sick with it, in many different ways / I say the hell with labels, cause Independent pays' The chorus is nice, they're scratching and bringin back the same line: 'All hail to da undaground king'

"Da Mayor" is a nickname that GB has earned over his many years of service to the fans of Memphis rap. This track has a bumpin beat and a nice chorus, Blac drops 3 tight verses.

The hook on "Fight" is sampled from Gangsta Blac's underground tape "Breakin Da Law" which came out about 8 years ago. Its nice to hear some of his older words sampled on his new shit, I havent heard them on any of his other albums.

On of the best tracks on the album is "Grimmy" It's probably one of Blac's all time best tracks, the beat is hard as hell, its got a real tight bassline and some piano & strings in it. 'What being grimy gonna get me, shit better get me rich / at least from my perspective, I'm so tired of takin shit / I deal with what I got and what I got aint quite that much / Its just enough to keep me, not that far but still in touch' The subject of this song is best described as being reflective.

The only song on this album that I wasnt feeling that much is "Code Red" and the only reason that this track isnt as good as the rest of the album is because the beat just aint as good. Gangsta Blac is always gonna come with some solid verses, this is almost tight, but not quite.

The beat on "Da Truth" made me think of "Mr. Big" off of 8Ball & MJG's first CD. Its got that old keyboard sound to it, it because monotonous after a while, but its still a bumpin track.

The next 3 songs are all nice. "Shot" has an old pimpin feel to it, Curtis Mayfeild helps with the chorus and it features Lil Gain from Playa Posse. "Sap Sucka" has a much harder feel and "Gangsta Blac" is more laid back and contains his best lyrics out of the 3.

"What Ya Think" has a great bassline on it and it has real small bit of Louisiana flavor in it, the beat is uptempo and GB lets you know he's doin alright: 'So, what you thinkin we aint eatin no more / like we starvin fuckin marvin, bitch I'm 284'

'Get da fuck up off of me' is sung like its in an opra for "Get Da Fuck" This is a get buck song, its got a good beat and GB has a real nice flow on it, he's rappin faster than usual.

The album closes out with 2 more bangin tracks, both of them have a dark feel to them "Kinfolk" & "Taylor Made"

Gangsta Blac dont rap about cheefin hay at the tire shop or woofin yay that much anymore, it would be nice to hear him go back to his killa from southparkway roots and drop some more 'illegal based' songs, but he's still hard as hell and one of the best out of Memphis, scoop this one up."

downsouth.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

S.G.V.

Re: Gangsta Blac "Da Undaground King"
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2002, 09:58:28 PM »
Gangsta Blac is so hard...to me hes the equivalent of King Tee in the south...hes o.g. and gangster to the core....DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »