Author Topic: Grizzlies & Minnesota Trade  (Read 263 times)

'EclipZe

Grizzlies & Minnesota Trade
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:02:31 AM »
Grizzlies acquire Mayo and three players from Minnesota

Memphis trades draft rights to Love, Miller, Cardinal and Collins to Timberwolves

MEMPHIS – The Grizzlies acquired the draft rights to guard O.J. Mayo, the third overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, in an eight-player trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves, Grizzlies General Manager and Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Wallace announced Thursday night.
OJ Mayo Photo Gallery

Memphis also received guard Marko Jaric, forward Antoine Walker and guard Greg Buckner in exchange for the draft rights to forward Kevin Love (fifth overall), guard/forward Mike Miller, forward Brian Cardinal and center Jason Collins.

Mayo, a Naismith and Wooden Award finalist, led USC in scoring (20.7 points, second in the conference), assists (3.3) and steals (1.6), while ranking third in rebounding (4.5). A First Team Pac-10 and All-Freshman Team selection, the 20-year-old set school freshman single-season records for scoring average, points scored (684) and three-point field goals made (88).

A 6-4, 200-pound early entry candidate, Mayo averaged 28.2 points, 7.2 assists and 6.1 rebounds, leading Huntington High School to the 2007 Class AAA state championship and earning West Virginia Player of the Year honors.

Jaric, a six-year veteran, owns career averages of 7.8 points, 2.9 rebounds and 3.9 assists in 394 career games (221 starts) with the Los Angeles Clippers and Minnesota. The Serbian native averaged 8.3 points, 3.0 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 75 games (56 starts) for the Timberwolves last season.
Press Conference Audio: Chris Wallace

Walker, a 12-year veteran, holds career averages of 17.5 points, 7.7 rebounds and 3.5 assists in 893 games (707 starts) with the Boston Celtics, Dallas Mavericks, Atlanta Hawks, Miami Heat and Minnesota. A former three-time All-Star and member of the 2005-06 NBA Champion Heat, Walker averaged 8.0 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.0 assists in 46 games (one start) for the Timberwolves last season.

Buckner, a nine-year veteran, has career averages of 5.4 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 507 games (117 starts) with the Dallas Mavericks, Philadelphia 76ers, Denver Nuggets and Minnesota. Buckner averaged 4.0 points, 2.1 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 34 games (one start) with the Timberwolves last season.

Miller, the 2000-01 Rookie of the Year and 2005-06 Sixth Man of the Year, averaged 14.6 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists in 371 games (277 starts) in five-plus seasons with Memphis. He leaves the Grizzlies as the franchise’s all-time leader in three-point field goals made (737), three-point field goals attempted (1,778) and three-point field goal percentage (.415). Miller owns the Grizzlies’ record for threes in a single season (202 in 2006-07) and a single game (nine, twice) and ranks third on the team’s all-time scoring list (5,403 points).

Acquired by Memphis on Feb. 19, 2003 from the Orlando Magic in exchange for Drew Gooden and Gordan Giricek, Miller set a franchise single-game record with 45 points on Feb. 21, 2007 at Golden State.

Cardinal, an eight-year veteran, averaged 5.6 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 263 games (29 starts) in four seasons with the Grizzlies. Acquired July 14, 2004 as a free agent, Cardinal averaged 3.4 points and 2.6 rebounds in 37 games (one start) last season.

Collins, a seven-year veteran, was acquired by Memphis on Feb. 4, 2008 along with cash considerations from New Jersey in exchange for Stromile Swift. Collins averaged 2.6 points and 2.9 rebounds in 31 games (three starts) after the trade to the Grizzlies.

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/grizzlies_aquire_mayo_plus_three_from_mn-080627.html

seems to me like a good trade for both teams

Lunatic

Re: Grizzlies & Minnesota Trade
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 09:13:38 AM »
thats a big one; cant seem to call who won it (depends on how Mayo and Love turn out - but Mike Miller is the best player involved).
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:21:42 AM »
The Grizzlies' big guys are Darko and 'Toine now. They are beyond fucked.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:24:57 AM »
The Grizzlies' big guys are Darko and 'Toine now. They are beyond fucked.

Hakim Warrick...Marc Gasol.

We wont be able to say who won the trade until we see both Mayo and Love play on the NBA level...but they're both great prospects. I dunno why Memphis needs Mayo when they have Rudy Gay, though. And T-Wolves don't need Love when they have AJ. Strange shit.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 11:36:29 AM »
LOL I still think this trade is stupid for Minny. The KG trade wasn't near as bad as its made out to be (actually wasn't bad for Minny), but this is just incompetent. If I'm Minny I try to trade Foye rather than Mayo. Foye and Brewer even, but Mayo is too talented to give up instead of Foye.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 11:38:46 AM »
LOL I still think this trade is stupid for Minny. The KG trade wasn't near as bad as its made out to be (actually wasn't bad for Minny), but this is just incompetent. If I'm Minny I try to trade Foye rather than Mayo. Foye and Brewer even, but Mayo is too talented to give up instead of Foye.

Nobodys gunna take Foye for Love...LOL. Love is a lot better than anyone is giving him credit for. He can quite possibly have a nicer career than Beasley.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 11:43:26 AM »

Nobodys gunna take Foye for Love...LOL. Love is a lot better than anyone is giving him credit for. He can quite possibly have a nicer career than Beasley.

This is Chris Wallace we're talking about here. LOL

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 02:24:54 PM »
i totally forgot about marc gasol.....but regardless of that you can put gasol at C and love at power and have gay sf then you have Miller at 2 and critt/conely at point

i really like that line up better than  Gasol/Walker/Gay/Mayo/Critt Conely.........IMO the first line up is more consistant......you have a big hole at 4 with walker... and the grizz play in the WEST....land of the big

but who knows i could be wrong. maybe this was a business move for $. you do sell more jersey's and tickets with mayo/gay in the line up now

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 03:33:23 PM »
i totally forgot about marc gasol.....but regardless of that you can put gasol at C and love at power and have gay sf then you have Miller at 2 and critt/conely at point

i really like that line up better than  Gasol/Walker/Gay/Mayo/Critt Conely.........IMO the first line up is more consistant......you have a big hole at 4 with walker... and the grizz play in the WEST....land of the big

but who knows i could be wrong. maybe this was a business move for $. you do sell more jersey's and tickets with mayo/gay in the line up now

Yea...Mayo is probably worth more financially, but Love coulda' made them a better squad...I dunno yet, though. Love and Mayo are both great prospects. We'll have to wait and see how this pans out.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »
Gay-Mayo!!!
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 02:49:05 PM »
Gay-Mayo!!!

Conley - Mayo - Gay - Gasol - whatever scrub C who will sign for the MLE

D~Nice

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »
Gay-Mayo!!!

Conley - Mayo - Gay - Gasol - whatever scrub C who will sign for the MLE

They still got Kwame Brown

D~Nice

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 03:35:31 PM »
I am sure Al Jefferson will gladly accept some low post scoring help in Minnesota.