Author Topic: 5 tite N.Y. duos - How would you rate them?  (Read 664 times)

Jome

5 tite N.Y. duos - How would you rate them?
« on: July 08, 2002, 05:29:25 AM »
N.Y. got a bunch of tite duos in the game.

Mobb Deep - Havoc & Prodigy
CNN - Capone & Noreaga
M.O.P. - LiL Fame & Billy Danze
Method Man & Redman
Gangstarr - Guru & Primo

Is there any more DOPE N.Y. duos?
How would you rate these?
Just curious.
And just rate the ones you have heard.
Dont rate M.O.P. if you only heard "Cold as ice", or you just happen to know that CNN consists of Capone & Noreaga.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

teecee

Re: 5 tite N.Y. duos - How would you rate them?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2002, 07:10:49 AM »
Mobb Deep- Fell off on last album,, but there debut (Juvenile Hell), as hell as their second and third albums are tight as hell

CNN- They can't exactly rap- "What What" - and Capone sounds like Magoo.  However, their first album is very nice, and their second one had one of the best songs that year with Invincible

MOP- These guys are hype, they always got the dope beats....and they ripped on that LFO song!  Just kidding,  i didn't mind that LFo song, although it was a bitch move. Lyrically, MOP sucks but they make fairly good albums.

Meth and Red- both are talented, and have good chemistry.  Their one album together was not bad, but they have not put out the product of any of these other duos.

Gangstarr- These guys blow everyone out the water....when Premo porduces for Guru, he actually experiments instead of doing the scratch loop for every damn song.  Guru is one of the smartest cats in the game, as i don't actually feel dumber after listening to him spit lyrics.  They have at least 2 classic a;lbums, and an incredible amount of amazing songs.  They are one of the greatest groups of all time.

You want ratings? Out of 10?

Mobb- 7.5/10
CNN-  6.5/10
MOP- 6.5/10
Meth and red- 6.5/10
Gangstarr- 9.5/10

Yo Jome, Tribe Called Quest are prolly the best duo from the east (all though they not together now)....also, Pete ROck and Cl SMooth are coming back, and so are EPMD again.  All 3 of these groups have accomplished much more than the duous you mentioned and possess a lot more talent.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2002, 08:58:58 AM »
I give some detailed ratings later, but to add to the list there's also rumoured to be a Nas/AZ duo album dropping in the future, that should be something to look forward too.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Jome

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2002, 10:19:57 AM »

Mobb- 7.5/10
CNN-  6.5/10
MOP- 6.5/10
Meth and red- 6.5/10
Gangstarr- 9.5/10

Yo Jome, Tribe Called Quest are prolly the best duo from the east (all though they not together now)....also, Pete ROck and Cl SMooth are coming back, and so are EPMD again.  All 3 of these groups have accomplished much more than the duous you mentioned and possess a lot more talent.

damn, strange ratings. lol :D
I didn't mention Tribe or EPMD as they aint been doing shit since a long time ago.
And both projects are both up in the air, and so is Nas/Az.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2002, 10:24:58 AM »
Mobb Deep - They did fall off, but lyrically I always liked em...8/10

CNN - "War Report" was a great album, but they fell off too. Noreaga's the better rapper though his solo albums were wack except for God's Favorite which is ok..7/10

M.O.P. - They rap in a very special way, it's like they  rather scream at you than try to flow, I like that style. Production-wise their albums were good...7.5/10

Red & Meth - Their chemistry is fine and they got talent even though there's better Wu members than Reggie. I was a bit disappointed in "Blackout"...7/10

Gangstarr - The best of those duos. Guru has some of the most interesting lyrics in the game and Primo's an amazing producer...9.5/10

I dunno if u count that, but Raekwon & Ghostface Killah made loads of songs together. "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" officially guest starred Ghost and he rapped nearly as much as Rae. I would rate that duo 9.5/10 too, they're tight as fuck together and both Rae's and Ghost's style are absolutely unique

Joachim

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2002, 10:51:15 AM »
Mobb Deep: One of my personal favourite groups/duos of all time, i love their grimy sound, especially Havoc's production. P fell off, but when he gets better he'll be back harder then ever. 8/10

CNN: Not really a fan, but 'War Report' was nice, but ive never really felt Nore at all. 6.5/10

M.O.P: Their shit can pump you up something crazy, but they bore me easily, their a pretty solid group though. They always blow up the guest appearances. 7.5/10

Red and Meth: They make me laugh with their shit, their mad entertaining, and i cant deny their abilities on the mic, i enjoyed 'Blackout' but it wasnt brilliant. 7.5/10

Gangstarr: Consistently good music, 'Moment Of Truth' in my eyes is a masterpiece, Premo is one of the games best, and my only problem with them is Guru's monotone voicem but their a great group. 9/10

Jome you forgot Dead Prez. (unless you meant too leave them out).

teecee

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2002, 12:25:08 PM »
Jome, aare my ratings "strange" cuz i don't entirely feel rappers that have no lyrical substance, and cover this up by screaming over dope beats?

Jome

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2002, 12:59:09 PM »
Jome, aare my ratings "strange" cuz i don't entirely feel rappers that have no lyrical substance, and cover this up by screaming over dope beats?

That's not what I meant, but I know see that the others agree pretty much with you ratingwise.
Interesting shit yall!!

teecee

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2002, 01:11:15 PM »
Jome, what are your ratings man?  How do you feel about each group.......

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2002, 01:35:02 PM »

Dope early work, but have fallen off a long ways since Hell On Earth... 6/10

CNN - Capone & Noreaga
First album is decent...after that not feeling much of their stuff at all really... 4.5/10

Never liked them... i think its their style that bugs me. 4/10

Method Man & Redman
Dope individually and sometimes together... i didnt dig the album for some reason... but with How High to their name...
6/10

Gangstarr - Guru & Primo
One of the premier duos to grace hip-hop.
9.5/10

there's also as teecee said, pete & CL, EPMD, Tribe (if you don't count Ali), Ghost & Rae, Pharoah Monch & Prince Poetry (Organized Konfusion), Eric B & Rakim, but i realize you're trying to stay current... there's also Punchline & Wordsworth... Black Star, Smif N Wessun,

i'll rate em anyways, cause i got a few minutes to kill.

Pete Rock & CL Smooth
perfect pair, don't have a song I don't like...
10/10

Tribe
See above... complimenting styles + dope beats...
9.5/10

EPMD
so many classics....
9/10

Ghost & Raekwon
not as many joints as other duos, but dope... and if they do put out an album together it would be ill.
7/10

Pharoah Monch & Prince Po
probably the most lyrically gifted duo... 2 classics, one good album as a group.
8/10

Eric B & Rakim
the best MC ever, plus dope beats
9.5/10

Punch & Words
sometimes their beats are hit and miss, but both are dope, witty rhymers...
6.5/10

Black Star
individually enjoyable, but much better as a duo... dropped one of the most slept on albums ever...
8/10

Smif N Wessun
been around a long time, finally got their name back... dope first album, didnt feel their second... some good and bad songs as singles/soundtrack/compilation joints...
6/10
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

S.G.V.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2002, 03:38:39 PM »
Mobb Deep - Have never liked them....Havoc only makes up for them in his beats...6/10

CNN - War Report=Tight, Reunion=Tight, Nores solos TIGHT!..9/10

M.O.P. - Theyve always been different...while most of the east coast was on that slow flow peaceful meaningful shit they were coming with some REAL STREET MUSIC...8.5/10

Red & Meth - Real tight duo, Meths solos are ok, Reds are crazy, together they got some of the best chemistry in the biz...8/10

Gangstarr - Gurus lyrics, Premiers beats...9/10

Id like to mention the Beatnuts...all of their albums have been real good....their lyrics are on point and theyre beats all hand crafted by them are crazy....8/10

PLANT

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2002, 05:05:58 PM »
OGC and Cocoa Brovaz are real dope aswell as Heltah Skeltah, and ^^mentioned Smiff N Wesson...represent the Bootcamp to the fullest....they got the most talent in the East but have never sold out to any kinda commercial shit...
I rate
Mobb...8/10
CNN...7/10, but War Report was Classic IMO
MOP...7/10
Meth & Red...6.5/10
Gangstarr...9.5/10

Scribe

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2002, 04:05:17 AM »
Mobb Deep - Havoc & Prodigy - 7
CNN - Capone & Noreaga - 6
M.O.P. - LiL Fame & Billy Danze - 7
Method Man & Redman -7
Gangstarr - Guru & Primo - 9.5
Eric B & Rakim - 9.5
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - 10.
"Without The Elements It's All Irrelevent" Jurassic 5

"This world better acknowledge me I'm over ambitious
Do almost anything to rob a genie for his wishes." 57th Dynasty

"We didn't give a toss about money, fame or stardom
Just about the culture, the music, slang and jargon." Blak Twang

"Freedom Is A Road Seldom Travelled By The Multitude" Public Enemy

"If Ignorance Is Bliss Then Knock The Smile Of My Face" Zach De La Rocha

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2002, 05:02:17 AM »
Mobb Deep - 7/10 (Apart from their last album they've been pretty consistent. They're sound is that distinctive grimey eastcoast style, beatwise and lyricwise, which I enjoy listening to.)

CNN - 6/10 (They can be dope at times, "War Report" was a solid album but at times their sound is lacking)

M.O.P 8/10 (Hard and grimey lyrics, aggresive flows and some v.nice beats, makes a great listen.)

Method Man & Redman - 8/10 (No-one can deny the explosive chemistry these 2 have, they bounce off each other perfectly. Their flows are pretty different but they work together well to create that energetic sound that's great.)

Gangstarr - 9/10 (Definately one of the best duo's in hip-hop history. Their sound is still relevant and fresh. One of the best lyracists and one of the best producers in hip-hop history, what more could you ask for?)

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Jome

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2002, 06:17:49 AM »
This is how I see it:

Classic albums, good beats, good lyrics, Havoc is one of the most underrated in the game BOTH as rapper & producer.
Performance can be unconsistant though.
Prodigy can be irritating (A small skinny dude talking about gun-slinging and beatdowns, lol)
9 of 10

CNN - Capone & Noreaga
Much people see Capone as the weak link of the group, and he is admittably the weakest, but if his voice doesn't irritate you, he got a dope flow and pretty nice lyrics, even though he is unconsistant as hell.
Nore rarely delivers a average verse, and his charisma & authority makes him very dope on almost every track.
Blows guest-spots up all of the time.
Can be a little repetive though, and the period after his father died, he wasn't very motivated. Back for good after that though. If Capone can keep his ass out of jail, I can see some dope music coming from this duo.
8.5 of 10

Been putting in work for 10 years soon, and even though their albums has received mixed receptions, they're probably the most solid group of all the ones that's mentioned here.
Sick on guest-spots, and "Warriorz" was, if not classic, at least near it. Pretty unique style, with ultra-amped delivery and the most grimey lyrics.
Not the music to listen to if you got a headache though.
And LiL Fame can have a little off-beat flow some times.
Underrated as hell
9 of 10

Method Man & Redman
The funniest of all the duos, and the one with best chemistry, due to the fact that they are half-brothers.
They both possess a sick flow, and lyrics can range from dope as hell, to unmotivated. Haven't showed of much yet, but the "Blackout" album was very good, and they match eachother good on guest-spots.
Has a lot of potential, and a good opportunity to show it off, since they're both on Def Jam.
Def. needs to work more with Rockwilder
A dope album or two, and the rating can very easily rise.
8.5 of 10

Gangstarr - Guru & Primo
I never been a BIG fan of them, but I dont admit that they're both dope at what they do.
Primo is usually dope, but needs a new and improved flavor.
Guru is one underrated rapper, and I cant help to think that maybe it would be easier if he has someone like Pharoahe Monch or Mos Def alongside him in the group.
He is consistant as hell, but this duo sometimes seems a little dated. Got classic work and dope albums, but the future seems unclear for these two.
Guru reminds me a little off Havoc: Solid rappers, but can seem a little gray sometimes, and keeping theirselves out of the limelight, seemingly by free will.
8 of 10

Nice mentions:

Organized Konfusion- Cant wait to see these back in game.
Pharoahe is unmatched in what he do, but they need someone to hook them up with fresh beats.

Dead Prez- Pretty dope, but they are more like the Dilated Peoples of the East. A little to farfetched for me at times.
Got dope bangers though, even if I usually dont feel their lyrics.

EPMD- Should be dope if they make a comeback, but will it happen? And who will produce?
Prod. by Sermon & Rockwilder hopefully.
No DJ Twinz fuckers please.