Author Topic: Shady Records Issues Statement On Obie's Departure  (Read 913 times)

Elano

Shady Records Issues Statement On Obie's Departure
« on: June 30, 2008, 10:10:35 PM »
Following the heavy circulation of Obie Trice's new single "The Giant" signaling the Detroit rapper's departure from his situation with Shady Records and it's parent company, Interscope, the brass at Shady issued a statement Monday (Jun 30) reaffirming its support of Trice's decision.

"Shady Records has agreed to allow Obie Trice to pursue his craft in a different forum free from the constraints of the current major label model," Eminem's long time partner and manager Paul Rosenberg told AllHipHop.com.

Sources on the web have erroneously reported that the new explanatory track released to the web on Sunday (Jun 29) included lyrics meant as a diss to his former label and Eminem, who added Trice to the label's roster in 2000.

At issue was the song's opening verse, on which Trice raps "Guess it was meant / for me to branch off from my Caucasian friend" and "Nope, no more 2nd place to Eminem / question if I was 2nd is the question to many men."

"Eminem will continue to support and work with Obie on many levels of his career," Rosenberg stated frankly. "He remains a close friend and member of the Shady family."

During his time as a Shady/Interscope artist, Obie Trice's two albums which were well received critically, established the artist as Eminem's heir apparent.

The first, 2003's Cheers, sold over 500,000 copies worldwide, while its follow-up Second Round's On Me found slightly less commercial support.

Lunatic

Re: Shady Records Issues Statement On Obie's Departure
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:15:25 PM »
props!
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 10:50:44 PM »
the new explanatory track released to the web on Sunday (Jun 29)

where is that track?

Drop A Gem On Em

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 11:19:57 PM »
That's good to hear.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 01:09:43 AM »
Shady Records wasted so many great beats and ideas on obie Trice.  Even Dre served him with "Shit Hits The Fan" one of Dre's best verses ever he wasted on Obie's album.

I thought obie was going to be great when I first heard his snippet on the D-12 album and his street cuts like "Dope, Jobs, Homeless" was fire... but was dissapointed with everything after that.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

tempo2

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 03:09:48 AM »
^^ no way were dre's beats wasted on that album. Obie ripped every one of them apart and it was good to hear dre prosducing tracks for the likes of obie trice and not the 50 cents etc.

Blood$

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 07:13:05 AM »
both Obie's albums were dope, can't wait for his next one

GATMAN

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 07:27:53 AM »
He sold more than Tony Yayo and he's dropped?

I Hope D-12 stays on the label

www.myspace.com/djbutter

Michael

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 08:48:43 AM »
Obie Trice is an amazin rapper....good to see their still on good terms

MediumL

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 08:49:40 AM »
he aint dropped ^^^ Hew left cause he knew getting an album out would take 3 more years and hed have to dumb it down. Obies great and as long as he continues to feature with Em then im haps
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 10:12:10 AM »
^^ no way were dre's beats wasted on that album. Obie ripped every one of them apart and it was good to hear dre prosducing tracks for the likes of obie trice and not the 50 cents etc.

actually 50 cent needs tho dre beats again, not these low budget names and beats. but obie did rip those dre beats, and shit hits the fan was on of my fav. songs on that album.

HELL YEA! i loved both of obies albums! Cheers>>>2nd Rounds On Me, IMO.

Elano

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 10:38:23 AM »
obie alone is better than banks,yayo and the whole g-unit

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 09:05:01 PM »
those dre beats on cheers were some of dres best beats in a long minute...all wasted on obie...he should have kept them lol

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 11:49:02 PM »

actually 50 cent needs tho dre beats again, not these low budget names and beats. but obie did rip those dre beats, and shit hits the fan was on of my fav. songs on that album.

HELL YEA! i loved both of obies albums! Cheers>>>2nd Rounds On Me, IMO.

yeah his 2 albums are quite good to me; not personal favourites though  ;)

those dre beats on cheers were some of dres best beats in a long minute...all wasted on obie...he should have kept them lol
wasted as in, it could have been Detox material to you, or wasted as in, Obie is a bad artist to you?  :P

Okka

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 01:16:30 AM »
"Cheers" is fuckin dope, never liked the second one though, only a couple of good tracks.