Author Topic: BENO RESIGNS FOR 5 YEARS!!!  (Read 243 times)

"THE" MoSav

BENO RESIGNS FOR 5 YEARS!!!
« on: July 04, 2008, 04:14:51 AM »
On the day Ron Artest questioned his decision to stay with the Kings, Beno Udrih had no such internal conflict.

"I know I'm not going to have any regrets," Udrih said by phone from New York City.

Nor should he.

The fifth-year player, who was a career backup until last season, agreed to a five-year deal with the Kings on Tuesday, filling the void at point guard for a team so badly in need while landing the sort of contract few would have foreseen eight months ago. Two sources close to the team said Udrih - who was traded from San Antonio to Minnesota last in October and waived before the Kings signed him Nov. 1 - was given the Kings' entire midlevel exception and will earn approximately $32 million over the five seasons. He cannot officially sign the deal until July 9 because of the league's moratorium period.

In his first three seasons in San Antonio, Udrih went from a highly regarded rookie to Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's doghouse. But his circumstances eventually turned, from his emergency signing by the Kings after a thumb injury to Mike Bibby to the season in which few doubted Udrih's ability to be a full-time starter.

The Los Angeles Clippers had no doubts. They were believed to be the most likely team to challenge the Kings in the Udrih sweepstakes. He met with Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy in New York City on Monday night and received an offer identical to one the Kings already had put forth. Udrih said New York, Miami and Cleveland also showed interest, but only the Clippers and Kings offered a five-year deal.

"I met with Dunleavy and he made a good impression on me," Udrih said.

"But I talked to (the Kings) early (Tuesday) morning, like 10 o'clock (Pacific time) and then I talked to them and to my family and my close friends who have been around the league. Every minute I was leaning to Sacramento."

Yet Udrih's call to Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie left his future uncertain enough that the Kings moved down their wish list of point guards in anticipation of Udrih declining. Kevin Bradbury, the agent for free-agent guard Chris Duhon, said the Kings called about Duhon just hours before Udrih called back with his final decision.

Meanwhile, it's unclear exactly what part Baron Davis played. The veteran point guard surprisingly opted out of his final season ($17.8 million) with Golden State and reportedly will join the Clippers for a five-year deal worth $65 million. Udrih's agent, Marc Cornstein, said the Clippers' offer still was available to Udrih when he opted for Sacramento.

While Udrih answered many of the questions surrounding his game last season, the question of durability again was raised when he missed 10 games near the end of the season with a back strain. Still, Petrie said Udrih showed plenty to warrant the deal. In the 51 games Udrih started, he averaged 14.4 points on 47.4 percent shooting (40.4 from three-point range) and five assists.

"He's just turning 26," Petrie said. "This is his first year of being a full-time starter. ... I think his best basketball is still in front of him."

In light of Artest's decision to not opt out of his contract and Udrih's expected signing, the Kings' payroll is approximately $70 million and nearing the expected luxury tax threshold of $72 million. While the Kings still have the biannual exception (approximately $1.8 million) available, Petrie said any more "outright (free-agent) signings" are unlikely.

Asked if the Udrih signing jeopardized the grand plan of clearing significant salary cap space the next two summers, Petrie said he, too, is without regret.

"You're trying to accomplish two things at once to a certain extent: Continue to keep value on the roster and still give yourself an opportunity down the road (to clear space)," he said. "I feel comfortable that, to this point, we're still in good shape."

The Best of 3 Worlds

Antonio

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R.I.P. Nate
Re: BENO RESIGNS FOR 5 YEARS!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 04:50:27 AM »
LOL i still remember him from when he played in Maccabi Tel Aviv. To tell you the truth he didn't look that good.

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 10:27:50 AM »
he had a great year, smart move by the kings.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Bay Area Representative
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »
That's a smart move, Beno played good last year when he got the chance. Health is a big issue for them, but if they stay healthy and everybody gets on the same page, they can definitely challenge for a playoff spot. I guess this leaves Quincy Douby as their backup PG, who I would prefer over Anthony Johnson, but everywhere else they should have solid depth.
I got a bird's eye view

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:29:32 PM »
$32 mill is a lot...you better hope he plays up to that kinda cheese.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:10:28 PM »
^^^If he plays like he did last year it should be a good move.

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 01:00:27 AM »
^^He will, he is perfect for this team. Singletary will be the backup hopefully..Douby will be reliable at the 1 or 2 if needed. But with Kmart, John and Cisco theres not much room at 2.

The Best of 3 Worlds

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 05:15:19 AM »
Hopefully Thompson pans out. I think he is probably slightly more NBA ready than most of the first round. If he can translate his 20 and 10 into 13 and 6 he's a damn good pick at 12.