Author Topic: "Rampage" Jackson: Serving Knuckle Sandwiches  (Read 139 times)

Elano

"Rampage" Jackson: Serving Knuckle Sandwiches
« on: July 06, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »
Quentin “Rampage” Jackson (27-6) is an anomaly in the UFC.

In an era where many of the top fighters are affiliated with big name camps, the current Light Heavyweight Champion stands alone. When the current face of MMA’s biggest promotion steps into the Octagon tomorrow night at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas to face number one contender Forrest Griffin, he looks to defend his title for the second time, extend his UFC win streak to four victories, and dish out a buffet of fists.

But it wasn’t always bright lights, pay-per-view matchups and media appearances. Before rising to mixed martial arts’ elite class of 205 pounders, Rampage earned a name—and a reputation for being a tough competitor—fighting overseas in Pride FC.
The Memphis, Tennessee born wrestler made his debut at Pride 15: Raging Rumble. Coming into the fight with an impressive 10-1 record, he was submitted by Kazushi Sakuraba in the first round by rear naked choke. Despite the defeat Jackson, was able to rebound and amassed a record of 24-6 before leaving Pride to return home to the U.S.

Being one of few black fighters in the game at that time, Pride FC attempted to turn Jackson into a stereotype, marketing him as a homeless man. The role—which some would see as degrading—didn’t bother Jackson.

“Honestly, I didn’t care. I was happy to be making some money because I was broke as hell back then. They chose to market me as homeless, but the funny thing is the fans believe it. I was being interviewed by one lady and I mentioned going home and she was surprised like ‘you have a home?’” Jackson says of his early years. “I had been fighting in Pride for like a year, even if I was homeless [coming in], you don’t think I made enough money to buy a house?”
“In Japan, it’s a different type of racism. They just don’t like you because you’re not Japanese and I’m ok with that. I’m not ok with somebody not liking me because I’m black. Hell, black people are more accepted over there than white folks.”

Jackson’s personality shines when discussing race in the mixed martial arts, turning a potentially heavy and contentious conversation into a laugh fest.

“I’m happy that white people have a full contact sport,” Rampage says jokingly of the idea that MMA is dominated by white contenders. “Mexicans took over boxing, white folks need something too. Black folks took over football, basketball, hell, golf. If we wanted to we’d take over hockey, but it’s too damn cold. We don’t like that ice [laughs]. I’m just joking."
“When I first started fighting, it never dawned on me that it was a white man’s sport—until I started seeing a bunch of white people. Especially when I fought Chuck [liddell].”

With his likeness soon to be featured in a video game and an action figure, Jackson is set to become one of the most recognizable faces in the UFC. With the number of black fighters growing, the Memphis native is aware that more eyes of African descent are on his rising career.

“A lot of black fans talk to me when I go home to Memphis. A lot of them really didn’t watch [MMA] until they found out I was fighting. I think it’s good that I’ve introduced a lot of black people to the sport and they can relate to me,” he says of his influence. “[Seeing me fight] probably gives them hope that—even if not in mixed martial arts—somebody like me can make a living from Memphis that they can do something too.“

As the champion, Jackson is now in position to avenge several of the defeats he suffered during his stint in Pride—namely to Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Wanderlei “The Axe Murderer” Silva, who bested Jackson twice by TKO and knockout, respectively.

“I want a rematch with everybody who beat me,”Rampage says bluntly.
In the eyes of many fans, Silva-Jackson III is a match destined to happen, but Rampage insists that the outcome will be different.
“I wouldn’t change a damn thing,” he replied when asked about preparing for a possible rematch with Silva. “I was kicking his ass most of the fight.”

With potential rematches with Rua and Silva looming in the future, Rampage is careful not to look past the fighter in Forrest Griffin that stares him square in the face. In preparation for this much anticipated bout, Jackson and Griffin squared off as coaches of the latest season of The Ultimate Fighter. In spite of the bond Rampage formed with his mentees; don’t look to see Coach Rampage outside of TUF re-runs.

I learned that I don’t want to be a coach,” he says of the experience. After probing further, Rampage reveals that he doesn’t like being in the gym every day, a deviation from the majority of fighters who seem to eat, sleep and breathe training.
Coming into season 7 of TUF, Rampage had noticeably put on weight, causing some to wonder if he was taking the bout with Griffin seriously. Any questions about Jackson’s commitment were squelched when the champion showed up to The Ultimate Finale weigh in appearing in top condition, courtesy of current trainer, Juanito Ibrarra. For Rampage, life comes first, but he realizes that dire consequences await a lazy fighter.

“What motivates me…if I don’t train hard, I get my ass kicked.”
In addition to training hard to avoid the ass kicking, training hard to dish out an ass kicking also propels the 29-year-old to give his all in the gym—and that may spell trouble for Griffin. “My fight strategy is to whoop his ass,” he says forcefully.
And other than getting his hand raised at the final bell, how does this fight end?
Rampage “by ass whooping.”

pimpag

• Lil Geezy
Re: "Rampage" Jackson: Serving Knuckle Sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 07:33:58 AM »
Great read, thanks for taking the time to post it.

:)

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:17:47 AM »
I really dont think Rampage trained as hard as he could have and he still should have won that fight

The Best of 3 Worlds

pimpag

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 06:12:58 AM »
He took Forrest too lately, right? I think so anyway and that 9 months that he took off didn't do him any favors.