Author Topic: what it takes for a black news reporter to flip his hood switch in 3 secs lol!  (Read 330 times)

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BUS6nKpddec&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BUS6nKpddec&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

found this on a board talking about this video
I come from a family of newscasters and sportscasters, so I really want to try to outline the skill it takes to speak in "reporter voice" and how unnatural it really is. Since "reporter voice" is definitely an act, one's "regular voice" can be a night/day difference for some people. All reporters pretty much sound the same, but you know that that's not natural. There are as many different accents and dialects as there are people (which is why impersonators can nail almost anyone.)

So, speaking reporter voice is a skill, and here's why:

1) You must sound both formal and natural, even though it's really not natural at all

2) You must eradicate all traces of accent so that you sound so average that nobody could tell where you were from, whether it be New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Minnesota, or Bora Bora

3) You have to stress every single word, but without sounding like you are doing it

4) You have to pepper your report with those dramatic pauses and that annoying "credulous voice raise" that indicates a question.

5) Field reporters have to be able to walk and report into the camera at the same time, which is actually more awkward than you might think

6) Field reporters also have to figure out what to do with their arms as they walk and talk, so they don't just hang their arms at their sides but also don't flail them around too wildly

7) "Reporter voice" comes from the back of your throat, further back than normal speech (sorry, it's hard to explain or describe this one)

8) Reporter voice is much louder than regular voice, but you have to be sure you never sound like you have actually raised your voice at all

Really, the act all comes down to sounding as normal as possible while actually speaking in a completely unnatural way.

So I bet you would be amazed to hear what most newscasters sound like when they aren't "on." It may not always be as hugely different as this guy, but I guarantee Tom Brokaw doesn't sound the same when he's telling his wife about his day as he does when he's on camera.

yall can speak on it lol peace
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 07:59:48 PM by .:TimeLock:. »

Ezekiel Whitmore

Hahahahahahahahaaa.

Classic. Great post.

Woozie

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Hail! Hail!
lol

THAFUKIZDAT????!!!!

:laugh:

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
no lie i keep playing this shit back and busting up laughing thought yall would did it lol

Sikotic™

HAHAHA!!!!

You can take the news reporter out the hood, but you can't take the hood out the news reporter.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

J Bananas

AHAHAHA oh man that was priceless i'm surprised the camera guy didn't start cracking up

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
the cam man is laughing a lil but he probably used to see it from that guy

on a real though i wonder what really happen to "Chris Woods" lol

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
LOL, wow!

But it is something I have noticed, especially in the South...black reporters usually have to speak without ANY sort of regional accent, although most whites tend to have a slight accent for that region. It's the same for hispanics...they cannot have any trace of their accent unless they're doing some sort of cultural segment.

My homeboy is from St. Louis, and he doesn't sound "country" but has a regular black "accent" I suppose you could call it...and he is a newscaster in Tallahassee, Florida. Everyone else on the station has a slight country accent, but they make him speak VERY proper and "nasally", and you can just tell that's not the way he talks at all. Not only do you have to speak 100% correct english, which isn't a major problem even though no one really speaks like that casually...but they make you have that tone and excitedness in your voice at all times.

I definitely don't have that skill...I don't sound "hood" or "country" at all, but I just wouldn't be able to sound like that without sounding hella fake. I don't speak as clearly as I should, and I'd have a very hard time enunciating every single syllable like that.

jeromechickenbone

lmfao

westsiderider323

lmao

-CaliKid-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ^dime^
I posted this vid plus 2 remixes of it a few weeks back. Damn this shit is still funny as hell LOL

Now_Im_Not_Banned

I posted this vid plus 2 remixes of it a few weeks back. Damn this shit is still funny as hell LOL

yea...still crack me up, though.

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
reminds me of will ferrell in anchorman....his 'reporter voice'

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
So, rapping is a skill, and here's why:

1) You must sound both formal and natural, even though it's really not natural at all

2) You must eradicate all traces of accent so that you sound so average that nobody could tell where you were from, whether it be New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Minnesota, or Bora Bora

3) You have to stress every single word, but without sounding like you are doing it

4) You have to pepper your raps with those dramatic pauses and that annoying "credulous voice raise" that indicates a question.

5) Field rappers have to be able to walk and rap into the camera at the same time, which is actually more awkward than you might think

6) Field rappers also have to figure out what to do with their arms as they walk and talk, so they don't just hang their arms at their sides but also don't flail them around too wildly

7) "Rapper voice" comes from the back of your throat, further back than normal speech (sorry, it's hard to explain or describe this one)

HUH??!  THEY ARE THE SAME THING.

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
lmfao