Author Topic: What will be Aftermath's legacy?  (Read 4599 times)

D~Nice

What will be Aftermath's legacy?
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:28:24 PM »
I ain't saying it is dead, but once it is all said and done, what is the label's place in hip hop history. Drop ya 2 cents.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: What will be Aftermath's legacy?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:33:10 PM »
When i think Aftermath it makes me think of the early 2000s

You had the firs and second Em album dropping( yes in late 90s )
Dre  record in nov 99
Then 50 in 03

I think they made a big impact during those years and probably oculd of done a little bit more and released at least one or 2 more artists.
I mean when the roc or def jam was doing big things they were dropping diff artists. Aftermath dropped Dre, eminem and 50 and thats pretty much it the rest dint get too much shine on tv.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:50:56 PM »
Aftermath should've been on the same level if not bigger than Death Row. Too bad Dre & Em got rich and stopped giving a fuck. They pretty much handed their labels over to 50 in 03 and haven't done shit since.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

D~Nice

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:51:59 PM »
Aftermath should've been on the same level if not bigger than Death Row. Too bad Dre & Em got rich and stopped giving a fuck. They pretty much handed their labels over to 50 in 03 and haven't done shit since.

Or Jimmy Iovine. He is fucking up that whole organization right now.

smegma

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 12:03:02 AM »
The only things that will be remembered are 50 Cent's and Dr. Dre's albums.

Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 12:07:12 AM »
Sad, but true.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 12:51:14 AM »
20 Great shelved albums (that has 5 versions of Detox) and 10000 Dr. Dre tracks that will not get released.

D-Stress

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 01:04:26 AM »
Aftermath should've been on the same level if not bigger than Death Row.
No Way!Aftermath?Who?Eminem?Dre (Who Needs 10 Years For An Album) And 50?
C´mon Man!If They Would Have King T, RC, Sharief,etc. Producers Like Mel-Man, Buddha,etc. They Would Make Some Dope Shit But Now?Em,50 And Dre, That´s All.Just My 2 Cents ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:10:47 AM by Changed Man »

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »

Whoever is responsible fact is Aftermath will never be looked upon as a rap powerhouse. With talented artists and Dre at the head of a company that's being backed by Interscope one would think Aftermath should be right up there with DR, Cash Money, Bad Boy, No Limit and Bad Boy.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Lazar

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 01:52:34 AM »
Sad, but true.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 02:07:29 AM »
I ain't saying it is dead, but once it is all said and done, what is the label's place in hip hop history. Drop ya 2 cents.

they brought two classic albums, 2001 and The Marshall Mathers LP.

anyway, as i once said in one of my first posts, it started off wrong with the joint feature and it got worse when Dre sold his 30% share of aftermath to interscope.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 03:40:23 AM by Dre-Day »

Okka

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 02:36:03 AM »
They released one of the best albums ever made (2001) and other great albums (The Documentary, Get Rich Or Die Tryin etc..)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 05:08:29 AM »
oh well, at least bishop spent some of the album budget (provided by interscope), on 4 street albums  :cheers:  ;D

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 06:03:47 AM »
Damn, has everyone gone insane? Aftermath is probably in the top 3 greatest HipHop labels ever, and they're easily one of the biggest selling, Eminem, Dre, 50 Cent - those are three of the biggest HipHop artists ever! Who sold big AND are critically acclaimed

Aftermath has sold more records than Death Row by a large margin - 50 sold about 25 million, Eminem about 45 million, Dre sold 6 million of 2001... compared with Death Row selling 3 million of the Chronic, Doggystyle 4 million, and 2Pac about 15 million
Death Row had more 'classic' stuff, though only thanks to Dre anyway... and Eminem's first two records, 2001, and 50's first record are all highly acclaimed

Bad Boy sold a lot, but is a 99% a joke in terms of credibility (apart from Biggie), same with No Limit, they don't have any really classic stuff

The only label that probably beats both Aftermath and Death Row is Def Jam just because they have so many classic records and had such a huge influence in getting HipHop onto the level it is now

I'm probably forgetting some labels off the top of my head, but Aftermath is definitely up there

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 06:10:17 AM »
Damn, has everyone gone insane? Aftermath is probably in the top 3 greatest HipHop labels ever, and they're easily one of the biggest selling, Eminem, Dre, 50 Cent - those are three of the biggest HipHop artists ever! Who sold big AND are critically acclaimed

Aftermath has sold more records than Death Row by a large margin - 50 sold about 25 million, Eminem about 45 million, Dre sold 6 million of 2001... compared with Death Row selling 3 million of the Chronic, Doggystyle 4 million, and 2Pac about 15 million
Death Row had more 'classic' stuff, though only thanks to Dre anyway... and Eminem's first two records, 2001, and 50's first record are all highly acclaimed

Bad Boy sold a lot, but is a 99% a joke in terms of credibility (apart from Biggie), same with No Limit, they don't have any really classic stuff

The only label that probably beats both Aftermath and Death Row is Def Jam just because they have so many classic records and had such a huge influence in getting HipHop onto the level it is now

I'm probably forgetting some labels off the top of my head, but Aftermath is definitely up there

nah i'm just being totally honest.

if you compare aftermath ( as a business ) with Ruthless Records (before it got out of hand) then i'd say aftermath is a joke.

there was some good music being made, but i wouldn't really credit the label for that.