Author Topic: What will be Aftermath's legacy?  (Read 4556 times)

me1

Re: What will be Aftermath's legacy?
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2008, 04:08:29 AM »
D12World (indisputably classic in my opinion), Obie's two releases (also classics in my opinion), G-Unit's Beg For Mercy and T.O.S. (best group efforts in the industry, I'd have to say, in many many years).

:laugh:

My bad..meant to say Devil's Night, not D12World....hopefully that's what you found funny!

Still :laugh:

Devil's Night is dope...give it a listen again.  Dope Dre productions, Em comes raw on it, and the other dudes carry their weight too (even if you don't know their names)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2008, 04:56:44 AM »
it doesn't have that raw uncut talent that death row(92-96)had. if he had kept king t,and signed niggas like knoc turn al, timebomb, xzibit,jayo felony,snoop dogg,tha dogg pound and kept rbx he woulda exceeded death row and would have a legacy. he just need to get rid of the clutter over there and start fresh(artist wise). i'm waiting to see what he's gonna do wit the d.o.c.'s upcoming album.
Disagree. West Coast fans would have loved that roster no doubt but the critics would have dismissed it after awhile as being the same shit he did at Death Row. He had a heavy hand in Xzibit's career as it was for a couple years. Of those rappers you named, none of them would have been Eminem or 50 Cent as far as sales go. People can argue that sales aren't everything but Eminem and 50 are a huge part of the reason that people are still checking for Dre outside of the L.A. area.
yeah but do you think snoop, tha dogg pound,and others on death row at the time woulda sold records if it wasn't for dre being there? no. what i'm sayin' is anything dre puts him stamp on people tend to gravitate towards. 5-0 was a no name nigga and look what dre and em did for his career: made him a household name.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2008, 10:35:49 AM »
yeah but do you think snoop, tha dogg pound,and others on death row at the time woulda sold records if it wasn't for dre being there? no. what i'm sayin' is anything dre puts him stamp on people tend to gravitate towards. 5-0 was a no name nigga and look what dre and em did for his career: made him a household name.

50 Cent had a lot of things going for him when his debut dropped. He didn't sell a million plus the first week, simply off the strength of Eminem and Dre. If it were as easy as that, every artist they put out would be doing those numbers. When 50 Cent came out, he had it covered in many areas. He had a compelling story that people were interested in. He had an underground audience through the mixtape circuit. He was going at Ja Rule who a lot of fans were sick of. Dre was a contributing factor unquestionably but as good as he is, he wouldn't have sold like that with Dogg Pound or Knoc-Turn'al. 

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »

50 Cent had a lot of things going for him when his debut dropped. He didn't sell a million plus the first week, simply off the strength of Eminem and Dre. If it were as easy as that, every artist they put out would be doing those numbers. When 50 Cent came out, he had it covered in many areas. He had a compelling story that people were interested in. He had an underground audience through the mixtape circuit. He was going at Ja Rule who a lot of fans were sick of. Dre was a contributing factor unquestionably but as good as he is, he wouldn't have sold like that with Dogg Pound or Knoc-Turn'al. 
5-0 sold on the strength of being affiliated with dre and em. how many of y'all gave a fuck about around 1999-200? nobody. dre could produce a frog and make it go platinum.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2008, 07:02:07 PM »
5-0 sold on the strength of being affiliated with dre and em. how many of y'all gave a fuck about around 1999-200? nobody. dre could produce a frog and make it go platinum.
If it was just strength of affiliation, why is Stat Quo signed to the same Shady/Aftermath/Interscope machine and hasn't been put out for four years? Why did 50 come out before Obie? He had the whole package as far as marketing goes. Dre and Eminem were a big part in it but they weren't the only factor. 50 Cent wasn't just some talentless bum who got lucky and had the biggest fucking album in the world. 

Chad Vader

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2008, 07:30:50 PM »
I really hope for Dre that he get out the contract with Interscope after "Detox"
so that he can founds a new label where nobody tell him what he has to do and what not.

....or before  ;)

I'm little tired of Aftermath and the whole drama around them,  :P
as many has pointed out before,Jimmy interferes too much with the creative side of things.

Dre didn't bring out King T because it would have flopped, he didn't bring out Hitman because it would have flopped
- if he'd let those albums come out Aftermath would have been in way worse shape...
but instead he put out Eminem and 50 Cent

- you can't argue with the success they've had, they're arguable the two most well know people in HipHop!

Dre didn't decide that, interscope did.
Dre actually wanted to put out a hittman and a King T album :P

The label (and the industry as a whole) got too obsessed with the "block buster mentality"  :-\(read; first week sales),  :-\
that anything that might get looked as a flop would damage the "block buster legacy" Aftermath got.  :P
But I believe that in the long run,releasing some albums that don't have that "block buster stamp" over them would actually benefit them.
Look at Ruthless,Above The Law and Ren´s solo releases was never a big success. Bone Thugs and Eazy took care of the "block buster" numbers.
Never the less Above The Law and Ren´s solo albums was fan favorites that took care of the Ruthless legacy of putting out "quality" music.
Hittman and King T could be one of those type of artists,
as far I'm concerned I think the "unreleased" Hittman and King T album is amongst the top five album from the "Aftermath Camp".

This fit here and now that it seems too be "confirmed" by "official" source´s I might as well post it here;
Busta Rhymes off the Math
July 17th, 2008 by admin

http://www.aftermathmusic.com/blog/?p=50

It’s official - Busta Rhymes got dropped from Interscope/Aftermath. It was reported that Busta Rhymes was dropped from Interscope due to a heated argument with Jimmy Iovine. He later confirmed that the album would be released in late September on Aftermath. www.Aftermathmusic.com contacted the general manager of Aftermath.

“Yes, it’s true. He got dropped.”, so the General Manager of Aftermath.

“Blessed” is scheduled to release in September, but not on Aftermath.

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2008, 03:24:51 AM »
Jimmy Iovine is full of shit.

Aww he got hurt feelings with Busta who propably spoke the truth and kicked him out with bleeding tears. Poor hip hop killing faggot, please don't kill yourself, go eat some pretzels with Birdman.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2008, 10:36:05 AM »
I really hope for Dre that he get out the contract with Interscope after "Detox"
so that he can founds a new label where nobody tell him what he has to do and what not.

....or before  ;)

as many has pointed out before,Jimmy interferes too much with the creative side of things.

Dre didn't bring out King T because it would have flopped, he didn't bring out Hitman because it would have flopped
- if he'd let those albums come out Aftermath would have been in way worse shape...

- you can't argue with the success they've had, they're arguable the two most well know people in HipHop!

The label (and the industry as a whole) got too obsessed with the "block buster mentality"  :-\(read; first week sales),  :-\
that anything that might get looked as a flop would damage the "block buster legacy" Aftermath got.  :P
But I believe that in the long run,releasing some albums that don't have that "block buster stamp" over them would actually benefit them.
Look at Ruthless,Above The Law and Ren´s solo releases was never a big success. Bone Thugs and Eazy took care of the "block buster" numbers.
Never the less Above The Law and Ren´s solo albums was fan favorites that took care of the Ruthless legacy of putting out "quality" music.
as far I'm concerned I think the "unreleased" Hittman and King T album is amongst the top five album from the "Aftermath Camp".

I think the Ruthless situation is different - because the big albums Aftermath has put out were also very critically acclaimed... while outside of this forum I don't really know anyone who thinks the unreleased King T or Hittman albums are like WOW - a lot of people have the King T one and most people are like, phew, good thing he didn't put this out, because it's not really that great, and reviews of it were just kind of 'meh'. Also Aftermath spends a lot on promotion, making an expensive video, etc etc - they don't want to lose potentially millions on promoting something that is not going to break even

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2008, 11:59:57 AM »

....or before  ;)

I think the Ruthless situation is different - because the big albums Aftermath has put out were also very critically acclaimed... while outside of this forum I don't really know anyone who thinks the unreleased King T or Hittman albums are like WOW - a lot of people have the King T one and most people are like, phew, good thing he didn't put this out, because it's not really that great, and reviews of it were just kind of 'meh'. Also Aftermath spends a lot on promotion, making an expensive video, etc etc - they don't want to lose potentially millions on promoting something that is not going to break even

well if you think about it, they are already flushing millions through the toilet....

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2008, 12:18:52 PM »

....or before  ;)

well if you think about it, they are already flushing millions through the toilet....
Yeah...Dre could've already released 2 albums and I'm sure they would've had at least good reviews and sold like shit...instead he is trying to model a masterpiece that is now a joke with no buzz and propably will go down as a VERY VERY BIG letdown if it isn't The Chronic like revolution.
And how wouldn't Raekwon sell with Aftermaths backing up? C'mon now, that's ridiculous.

lakers4life

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »
dre dont wanna tarnish his legacy by puttin somethin out thats not an absolute classic. he shaped the sound of an entire generation of hip hop, not once, twice, but three times!!! think about that. nwa and both chronic albums had everyone followin the leader. he was able to make us forget about been there done that (and if u remember, he was just about done after that) cuz he came with a super classic. but if detox flops, he might be done :(

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2008, 07:46:34 PM »
Damn, has everyone gone insane? Aftermath is probably in the top 3 greatest HipHop labels ever, and they're easily one of the biggest selling, Eminem, Dre, 50 Cent - those are three of the biggest HipHop artists ever! Who sold big AND are critically acclaimed

Aftermath has sold more records than Death Row by a large margin - 50 sold about 25 million, Eminem about 45 million, Dre sold 6 million of 2001... compared with Death Row selling 3 million of the Chronic, Doggystyle 4 million, and 2Pac about 15 million
Death Row had more 'classic' stuff, though only thanks to Dre anyway... and Eminem's first two records, 2001, and 50's first record are all highly acclaimed

Bad Boy sold a lot, but is a 99% a joke in terms of credibility (apart from Biggie), same with No Limit, they don't have any really classic stuff

The only label that probably beats both Aftermath and Death Row is Def Jam just because they have so many classic records and had such a huge influence in getting HipHop onto the level it is now

I'm probably forgetting some labels off the top of my head, but Aftermath is definitely up there

what about Ruthless?
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2008, 08:33:18 AM »

....or before  ;)

yeah aftermath is limiting it's focus to such stars.

they should stop betting on one horse.

Chad Vader

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2008, 10:20:55 AM »

....or before  ;)

I think the Ruthless situation is different - because the big albums Aftermath has put out were also very critically acclaimed...
while outside of this forum I don't really know anyone who thinks the unreleased King T or Hittman albums are like WOW
- a lot of people have the King T one and most people are like, phew, good thing he didn't put this out,
because it's not really that great, and reviews of it were just kind of 'meh'.
Also Aftermath spends a lot on promotion, making an expensive video, etc etc
- they don't want to lose potentially millions on promoting something that is not going to break even

I said fan favorites  ;).
The King T album got average reviews/ratings by both The Source and Rap Pages read; official Hip Hop media.
We could agree or disagree that they´re biased,but that´s another convo that can be continued here;
Open letter to The Source Mag. about your reviews and ratings of West Coast *poll*

reviews
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=150824.msg1640421#msg1640421
King T review in The Source September 1998 NO.108

If interscope don´t feel that albums from artists such as King T and Hittman ain´t blockbuster material,
don´t spend so much money on promotion,just release it on the low.
Not everything has to be "block buster material".

Related links;
MC Ren reviews
Above The Law reviews

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2008, 10:36:28 AM »

....or before  ;)

i agree that limiting the damage is better than causing maximum damage,
but let's not forget that several album budgets went to waste, so i don't see why you sort of implied that aftermath is working cost-efficiently.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 10:41:32 AM by Dre-Day »