Author Topic: What will be Aftermath's legacy?  (Read 4557 times)

GSmith

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: What will be Aftermath's legacy?
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2009, 02:04:07 AM »
The Doctors Advocate & L.A.X. were a lot better than Curtis. Plus 50 even said it himself that Dre doesnt want to work with him anymore.

Yeah, but it's all about that money. Dr. Dre don't have the time to be workin' with 50 because he workin' on "Detox".

Yea so hopefully when he drops Detox we will see a lot of rappers with Detox leftover beats

eNgIeS

« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2009, 04:02:57 AM »
Damn, has everyone gone insane? Aftermath is probably in the top 3 greatest HipHop labels ever, and they're easily one of the biggest selling, Eminem, Dre, 50 Cent - those are three of the biggest HipHop artists ever! Who sold big AND are critically acclaimed

Aftermath has sold more records than Death Row by a large margin - 50 sold about 25 million, Eminem about 45 million, Dre sold 6 million of 2001... compared with Death Row selling 3 million of the Chronic, Doggystyle 4 million, and 2Pac about 15 million
Death Row had more 'classic' stuff, though only thanks to Dre anyway... and Eminem's first two records, 2001, and 50's first record are all highly acclaimed

Bad Boy sold a lot, but is a 99% a joke in terms of credibility (apart from Biggie), same with No Limit, they don't have any really classic stuff

The only label that probably beats both Aftermath and Death Row is Def Jam just because they have so many classic records and had such a huge influence in getting HipHop onto the level it is now

I'm probably forgetting some labels off the top of my head, but Aftermath is definitely up there

Chronic sold 4 milliion, Doggystyle sold 5 million. and that was as of 1996 since then maybe add another mill or 2 plus world wide sales

other than that your post is spot on

The sad thing is Aftermath couldve been bigger. There were numerous situations (esp since 2005 onward) that Aftermath screwed up.

Busta's album took ages to make, then when it had its first hype single, buzz was high.....then it was delayed some say coz Dre wanted to mix it better others say due to Jimmy. While it still did decent it wasnt the big bang it could've been, esp after Dre and busta having good chemistry on his non Aftermath album Genesis.

The Game had a huge buzz and yes it was mainly due to Game and 50's own buttheadedness it didnt work out, but as Dre's former right hand man said, when 50 pulled that shit at the How We Do video shoot he should've stepped in and took care of business. Regardless what you think of Game, he still was one of the biggest rappers ever on there

Hittman had some buzz goin on after 2001....not as big as Snoops after The Chronic but enough to sell a platinum record or 2. Instead he wasnt taken on the Up In Smoke tour, which would've gave him even more buzz. And Dre apparently just wasnt around to work with Hitt as much

Eve was already a name in the Game and had prior success with Dre produced singles. Instead she was shelved for her time in Aftermath. Rakim as well

Proof was probably the only other D12'er who could possibly have had a success solo career.

Obie did well 1st album but 2nd album had zero promotion thus he departed

Considering how much Dre worked with him Xzibit should've been officially signed to Aftermath. Maybe even Snoop or Nate as well. Cube having a solo done by Dre would've been great.

Bishop had a little bit of buzz, not nearly as much as Game did but if put on a single or feature on 50 or Em's albums it may have helped the reformation get some great buzz.

Truth Hurts had a decent 1st single buzz but unfortunately it didnt work out, maybe lack of promotion who knows

So yes, Aftermath has had alot more success than many other labels. But you always just think bout how things could've been even bigger. Scary thought

Okka

« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2009, 04:36:53 AM »

The Game had a huge buzz and yes it was mainly due to Game and 50's own buttheadedness it didnt work out, but as Dre's former right hand man said, when 50 pulled that shit at the How We Do video shoot he should've stepped in and took care of business. Regardless what you think of Game, he still was one of the biggest rappers ever on there

What do you mean? What happened?

ThaFormula.com - How was The Up In Smoke Tour for you?

Hittman - It was incredible. A good experience.  I learned alot, I saw alot.  It gave me more fuel for my album.

Hittman had some buzz goin on after 2001....not as big as Snoops after The Chronic but enough to sell a platinum record or 2. Instead he wasnt taken on the Up In Smoke tour, which would've gave him even more buzz. And Dre apparently just wasnt around to work with Hitt as much

Hittman - It was incredible. A good experience.  I learned alot, I saw alot.  It gave me more fuel for my album.

I have an old VHS tape somewhere and it has an MTV Special about the "Up In Smoke" tour and there's a bit of footage where they perfom "Bitch Please II" and Hittman is on the stage with Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem and a lot of others, so i don't understand why you think he wasn't there?

Mietek23

« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2009, 04:58:51 AM »
^^^I remember an interview with Hittman where he said himself that he wasen't on the Up In Smoke tour cause he wanted to work on his album.. maybe that interview was fake?

GSmith

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2009, 05:05:19 AM »
Damn, has everyone gone insane? Aftermath is probably in the top 3 greatest HipHop labels ever, and they're easily one of the biggest selling, Eminem, Dre, 50 Cent - those are three of the biggest HipHop artists ever! Who sold big AND are critically acclaimed

Aftermath has sold more records than Death Row by a large margin - 50 sold about 25 million, Eminem about 45 million, Dre sold 6 million of 2001... compared with Death Row selling 3 million of the Chronic, Doggystyle 4 million, and 2Pac about 15 million
Death Row had more 'classic' stuff, though only thanks to Dre anyway... and Eminem's first two records, 2001, and 50's first record are all highly acclaimed

Bad Boy sold a lot, but is a 99% a joke in terms of credibility (apart from Biggie), same with No Limit, they don't have any really classic stuff

The only label that probably beats both Aftermath and Death Row is Def Jam just because they have so many classic records and had such a huge influence in getting HipHop onto the level it is now

I'm probably forgetting some labels off the top of my head, but Aftermath is definitely up there

Chronic sold 4 milliion, Doggystyle sold 5 million. and that was as of 1996 since then maybe add another mill or 2 plus world wide sales

other than that your post is spot on

The sad thing is Aftermath couldve been bigger. There were numerous situations (esp since 2005 onward) that Aftermath screwed up.

Busta's album took ages to make, then when it had its first hype single, buzz was high.....then it was delayed some say coz Dre wanted to mix it better others say due to Jimmy. While it still did decent it wasnt the big bang it could've been, esp after Dre and busta having good chemistry on his non Aftermath album Genesis.

Eve was already a name in the Game and had prior success with Dre produced singles. Instead she was shelved for her time in Aftermath. Rakim as well

Proof was probably the only other D12'er who could possibly have had a success solo career.

Obie did well 1st album but 2nd album had zero promotion thus he departed

Considering how much Dre worked with him Xzibit should've been officially signed to Aftermath. Maybe even Snoop or Nate as well. Cube having a solo done by Dre would've been great.

Bishop had a little bit of buzz, not nearly as much as Game did but if put on a single or feature on 50 or Em's albums it may have helped the reformation get some great buzz.

Truth Hurts had a decent 1st single buzz but unfortunately it didnt work out, maybe lack of promotion who knows

So yes, Aftermath has had alot more success than many other labels. But you always just think bout how things could've been even bigger. Scary thought

Thats what happens when the main person of the label is concerned more with himself and his albums then the other artists. Its a shame cuz if u really think about it Aftermath could of been so much more and become the label with the most talent. Having Dre is a gift and a curse.

GSmith

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2009, 05:07:04 AM »
^^^I remember an interview with Hittman where he said himself that he wasen't on the Up In Smoke tour cause he wanted to work on his album.. maybe that interview was fake?

I remember Hittman saying he only wanted to be on the west cost shows and then go back to work on his album so when Dre came back it would be done but he was told he had to be on tour

terence chill

« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2009, 05:51:01 AM »
G.A.G.E. had that joint with Akon produced by Dre?

no listen its produced by akon

Really? How do you know that?

think about it or listen to the track
or Blown Away (Feat. Styles P) sound a little bit like dre but isnt a dre production

eNgIeS

« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2009, 06:22:00 AM »

What do you mean? What happened?

I have an old VHS tape somewhere and it has an MTV Special about the "Up In Smoke" tour and there's a bit of footage where they perfom "Bitch Please II" and Hittman is on the stage with Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem and a lot of others, so i don't understand why you think he wasn't there?

News to me, cause i cant remember seeing him on the dvd of it. Been a while since i've seen it though

As far as 50 Game situation goes

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/features/id.1129/title.bruce-williams-the-real-doctors-advocate-pt-3/p.2

“’You know what?' asked Busta Rhymes after taking in one particularly take, ‘When you’re rappin’, sometimes your shit is just so borderline disrespectful. I mean you really take it there!’

Everyone busted out laughing.

That’s what’s great about The Game. And that’s his problem too. His 2004 album, The Documentary, is the sound of someone struggling to keep up with the talent around him. He didn’t always respect his place in the process…” – pg 140

DX: So back to 50 Cent and Game. How real was this beef?
BW: Game and 50 wasn’t cool with that situation from jump. Jimmy Iovine was the one who was the brainchild of putting Game in G-Unit because that gave G-Unit a bigger presence on the west coast, plus Game had a bigger buzz on the east than the west at the time. So that way Game could ride with G-Unit and vice versa. Just for bigger album sales.

But you gotta understand that Lloyd Banks and Tony Yayo were soldiers for 50. Game already had a deal with Aftermath. Game already had his own people. Game and 50 are very similar in their ways, and never really did like each other. But they understood the game. 50 gave Game a few of his songs for Game’s album and those were Game’s biggest hits. [50 Cent] did the hooks. But 50 wanted Game to be a soldier and Game did not want to be a soldier. That’s just the way it was. 50 wanted to be the boss.

You gotta think about the timing of all this. At one time, everyone was talking about Game. 50 was pushing up his album. All the beef stuff was a little orchestration of jealousy.

The video for “This Is How We Do” was supposed to be like this: one side of the street would be Cali and the other side would be New York. 50’s on one side and Game would be on the other. 50 didn’t want to do the video. Reason why? [50 Cent said] “Game wasn’t on my level if people see me and Game doing a video together they will think that he’s on my level.”

DX: Damn…
BW: I felt Dre should have stepped up to the plate on that. He’s the icon, he could have shut that whole thing down. Sometimes you have to take that role. But if you don’t, the beef is going to go where it’s going to go.

Okka

« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2009, 07:32:06 AM »
News to me, cause i cant remember seeing him on the dvd of it. Been a while since i've seen it though

Hittman wasn't on the DVD, i can't remember seein' him in it but do you know how much material that DVD is missin'?

Chad Vader

« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2009, 11:30:47 AM »
News to me, cause i cant remember seeing him on the dvd of it. Been a while since I've seen it though

Hittman wasn't on the DVD, i can't remember seeing' him in it but do you know how much material that DVD is missing'?

I know....  :P I was at their 3rd show of the tour at the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim.
Hittman was MIA.
Lots of shit is missing....  :-[

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2009, 05:00:22 PM »
I remember reading he left the tour early to go back and finish off his album, but I guess that didn't go to well for him lol

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2009, 12:00:48 AM »
aftermath was just a 2 man label, Dre and EM.  I guess you could throw in 50 in there

Game was also a massive hit for them, but in terms of Aftermath only artists it was just Dre

Im sure Dre regrets keeping 50 instead of Game

Whats the basis of that? 50 stays out selling Game, his last album didn't even go platinum.

The Doctors Advocate & L.A.X. were a lot better than Curtis. Plus 50 even said it himself that Dre doesnt want to work with him anymore.
right, that's why he has Dre on his mixtape :laugh:

Yeah, but it's all about that money. Dr. Dre don't have the time to be workin' with 50 because he workin' on "Detox".
you're kidding right? i don't know what Dre is doing right now, but not too long ago he went in the studio with 50 cent for Before i self destruct