Author Topic: It's a shame that when the south made a resurgence....  (Read 2412 times)

D~Nice

It's a shame that when the south made a resurgence....
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:38:13 PM »
Rap-A-Lot records was not at the forefront. Not to say they do not drop quality material but J Prince seems uninterested in really promoting or anything. Bun-B's 1st solo did well, but that had more to do with his self promo, free pimp c movement, and the resurgence in Houston hip hop artists. The talent is there, but if it was not for this forum and just keeping up with things online, I would not know about half of their releases. And what's up with the sound quality on the last couple releases from them?

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
Re: It's a shame that when the south made a resurgence....
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:39:58 PM »
Well i'm not into Southern rap, other than a few notable few, Scarface+Devin The Dude.

It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

D~Nice

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 03:40:12 PM »
Well i'm not into Southern rap, other than a few notable few, Scarface+Devin The Dude.

You should check out Rap-A-Lot's catalogue of albums, they have alot of dope ones.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 06:15:05 PM »
^^Rap-A_lot, didn't they use to manage The Luniz, and ton o fother Bay Area Rappers???

I'll check out some of their rooster.  Funny i figured this thread will get the discussion talk about more southern rappers than the ones that are usually discussed on this section.....Nothing... :-\ :-\
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

D~Nice

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:58:09 PM »
^^Rap-A_lot, didn't they use to manage The Luniz, and ton o fother Bay Area Rappers???

I'll check out some of their rooster.  Funny i figured this thread will get the discussion talk about more southern rappers than the ones that are usually discussed on this section.....Nothing... :-\ :-\

Yeah I was surprised too.

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 08:21:25 PM »
Rap-A-Lot records was not at the forefront. Not to say they do not drop quality material but J Prince seems uninterested in really promoting or anything. Bun-B's 1st solo did well, but that had more to do with his self promo, free pimp c movement, and the resurgence in Houston hip hop artists. The talent is there, but if it was not for this forum and just keeping up with things online, I would not know about half of their releases. And what's up with the sound quality on the last couple releases from them?

when has rap-a-lot promoted tho...j aint gotta do nuthin.. he pay the artist.. if they cant sale themselves.. the fuck they in it for?..

instead of blowin the bread they get on cars n shit..they could be doin their own promoting..

nobody outside of the boot n texas new bout the geto boys..(this before j got scarface from lil troy)..

rap alot artist that stood the test of time.. know they dont need to promote waste of time.... do shows...

nowadays anything comin from scarface or the geto boys is prolly over 5-6yrs old.. kuz everybody doin their own thang... n they got a problem wit face still.. with him thinkin he bigger than everybody else..shit again..

rap a lot never was in the forefront of nething.. when the south had its up n down... durin the cashmoney n no limit days...rap-a-lot dropped jus like they do now in spurts..

when texas had that wave of major's come thru ..n the yungstars, lil flips and big pokeys .was gettin signed kuz of the lil bit of noise they was makin...rap-a-lot wasnt makin a bunch of noise.. cept for droppin compilations...

that wave came again recently n they picked up swishaouse and koopa.. u got a face album..then he retired.. came back out..did that side shit.. dropped another.. n that was that...

rap-a-lot aint shit nowadays.. devin gone... face can only talk about snitchin for so long.. he aint nowhere near what he useta be..he dont even sell nomore..

z-ro aint gone ever cross over.. w or w/o promotion ..he local joker to the fullest..

WestCoasta

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 03:41:30 AM »

man you sound like a retard... "I'm not into Southern rap"

that's some clueless dumbass shit right there, you have any idea how much good stuff you're missing out on?

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
i think they need to step up on the production. i like devin the dude but his last album the production was shallow compared to his earlier efforts.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Philip1123

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 12:44:55 PM »
Rap A Lot is the probably the best indy label ever, since it's the only one that never fell appart, and the artists rarely leave the label... They put out nothing but quality records.

HOWEVER, Rap A Lot is notorious for not promoting it's artists. I feel that guys like Tela, Do Or Die, and many other could be much bigger with the right push.

jpm

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 12:50:58 PM »
z-ro aint gone ever cross over.. w or w/o promotion ..he local joker to the fullest..

I for myself see Trae and Z-Ro as a duo or only Trae making it though..
www.ReallyHipHop.com for all the latest hip-hop media available!

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 01:17:55 AM »

I for myself see Trae and Z-Ro as a duo or only Trae making it though..

nann...

trae had his shot.. then he started fuckin wit rap a lot.. n he majors on his ass.. but fucked up

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 11:46:38 AM »
Yea Rap a lot has some dope shit. Realy westcoast influenced back in the 90s

What about Suave house?

D~Nice

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »
Rap-A-Lot records was not at the forefront.
Not to say they do not drop quality material but J Prince seems uninterested in really promoting or anything.
Bun-B's 1st solo did well, but that had more to do with his self promo, free pimp c movement, and the resurgence in Houston hip hop artists.
The talent is there, but if it was not for this forum and just keeping up with things online, I would not know about half of their releases.

Rap-A-Lot has always seemed to me like a family label,they had a core producer team for the longest.
They added some cats along the way,but the core team has always been there.
Itīs a little sad that they didnīt catch the wave,
same with 8Ball and MJG they missed out too  :-\ (altough their recent music ainīt on the level of their early shit they deserve to get a little shine).

Yeah I would say as far as labels RAL has the dopest producers out. Maybe only 2nd to Aftermath. No Limit always reminded me that the way it was built was kind of a mix of RAL and Death Row but yeah Suave House and RAL never took off like No Limit did.

Yea Rap a lot has some dope shit. Realy westcoast influenced back in the 90s

What about Suave house?

Suave House is actually still around. They put out a old album from Rick Ross a couple months back. Tony Draper does alot of A&R work for Cube's label. Speaking of SH, what's up with Mr. Mike?

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 06:13:41 PM »

when has rap-a-lot promoted tho...j aint gotta do nuthin.. he pay the artist.. if they cant sale themselves.. the fuck they in it for?..

instead of blowin the bread they get on cars n shit..they could be doin their own promoting..

nobody outside of the boot n texas new bout the geto boys..(this before j got scarface from lil troy)..

rap alot artist that stood the test of time.. know they dont need to promote waste of time.... do shows...

nowadays anything comin from scarface or the geto boys is prolly over 5-6yrs old.. kuz everybody doin their own thang... n they got a problem wit face still.. with him thinkin he bigger than everybody else..shit again..

rap a lot never was in the forefront of nething.. when the south had its up n down... durin the cashmoney n no limit days...rap-a-lot dropped jus like they do now in spurts..

when texas had that wave of major's come thru ..n the yungstars, lil flips and big pokeys .was gettin signed kuz of the lil bit of noise they was makin...rap-a-lot wasnt makin a bunch of noise.. cept for droppin compilations...

that wave came again recently n they picked up swishaouse and koopa.. u got a face album..then he retired.. came back out..did that side shit.. dropped another.. n that was that...

rap-a-lot aint shit nowadays.. devin gone... face can only talk about snitchin for so long.. he aint nowhere near what he useta be..he dont even sell nomore..

lol wow....   ^^^^^^^^^  True story..   

D~Nice

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 08:27:41 PM »
Rap-A-Lot records was not at the forefront.
Not to say they do not drop quality material but J Prince seems uninterested in really promoting or anything.
Bun-B's 1st solo did well, but that had more to do with his self promo, free pimp c movement, and the resurgence in Houston hip hop artists.
The talent is there, but if it was not for this forum and just keeping up with things online, I would not know about half of their releases.

Rap-A-Lot has always seemed to me like a family label,they had a core producer team for the longest.
They added some cats along the way,but the core team has always been there.
It's a little sad that they didn't catch the wave,
same with 8Ball and MJG they missed out too  :-\ (altough their recent music ain't on the level of their early shit they deserve to get a little shine).

Yeah I would say as far as labels RAL has the dopest producers out. Maybe only 2nd to Aftermath. No Limit always reminded me that the way it was built was kind of a mix of RAL and Death Row but yeah Suave House and RAL never took off like No Limit did.

Yea Rap a lot has some dope shit. Really westcoast influenced back in the 90s
What about Suave house?

Suave House is actually still around. They put out a old album from Rick Ross a couple months back.
Tony Draper does alot of A&R work for Cube's label. Speaking of SH, what's up with Mr. Mike?

Didn't know the part about Suave House and Rick Ross,thanks for the info.  ;)
Yeah,remember reading that Tony work for Cube.
I believe Mr.Mike released a album last year (I might be wrong though,too much shit dropping  :P :laugh:)
www.houstonsoreal.blogspot.com /damagecontrolradio interviewed him in February 2007,
the history links on the site seems to be crooked so I couldn't find a direct link for you.  :-\
From what I can remember from the interview he has been in jail for a couple of years,but is back in biz now  ;)

I would say as far as labels RAL has the dopest producers out. Maybe only 2nd to Aftermath.

Besides Dre,I donīt think so,maybe itīs a matter off taste?  :P  ;)
I take Scarface (underrated producer),Mike Dean and John Bido over the Aftermath team any day.  ;)

The thing with Aftermath is there are sooo many affliate producers. Scott Storch, Bud'da at one time, Mel-Man was a member for a bit. But you got Focus, Khalil from time to time. I would say CORE producers for a label, you can't beat RAL.