Author Topic: It's a shame that when the south made a resurgence....  (Read 2398 times)

Philip1123

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: It's a shame that when the south made a resurgence....
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 08:54:43 PM »
I'm with ya, Vader. Who cares about Aftermath, when RAL has released tens of classics...

Good to see so many guy with some good taste in music on this forum.

D~Nice

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 10:24:48 PM »
Rap-A-Lot records was not at the forefront.
Not to say they do not drop quality material but J Prince seems uninterested in really promoting or anything.
Bun-B's 1st solo did well, but that had more to do with his self promo, free pimp c movement, and the resurgence in Houston hip hop artists.
The talent is there, but if it was not for this forum and just keeping up with things online, I would not know about half of their releases.

Rap-A-Lot has always seemed to me like a family label,they had a core producer team for the longest.
They added some cats along the way,but the core team has always been there.
It's a little sad that they didn't catch the wave,
same with 8Ball and MJG they missed out too  :-\ (altough their recent music ain't on the level of their early shit they deserve to get a little shine).

Yeah I would say as far as labels RAL has the dopest producers out. Maybe only 2nd to Aftermath. No Limit always reminded me that the way it was built was kind of a mix of RAL and Death Row but yeah Suave House and RAL never took off like No Limit did.

Yea Rap a lot has some dope shit. Really westcoast influenced back in the 90s
What about Suave house?

Suave House is actually still around. They put out a old album from Rick Ross a couple months back.
Tony Draper does alot of A&R work for Cube's label. Speaking of SH, what's up with Mr. Mike?

Didn't know the part about Suave House and Rick Ross,thanks for the info.  ;)
Yeah,remember reading that Tony work for Cube.
I believe Mr.Mike released a album last year (I might be wrong though,too much shit dropping  :P :laugh:)
www.houstonsoreal.blogspot.com /damagecontrolradio interviewed him in February 2007,
the history links on the site seems to be crooked so I couldn't find a direct link for you.  :-\
From what I can remember from the interview he has been in jail for a couple of years,but is back in biz now  ;)

I would say as far as labels RAL has the dopest producers out. Maybe only 2nd to Aftermath.

Besides Dre,I don't think so,maybe it's a matter off taste?  :P  ;)
I take Scarface (underrated producer),Mike Dean and John Bido over the Aftermath team any day.  ;)

The thing with Aftermath is there are sooo many affiliated producers.
Scott Storch, Bud'da at one time, Mel-Man was a member for a bit.
But you got Focus, Khalil from time to time. I would say CORE producers for a label, you can't beat RAL.

Sure they're cool and all,but other than Hi-Tek and Khalil (Self Scientific)
I have not heard a any albums produced top to bottom from any of the others + I feel the Aftermath sound is to predictive.  :-\
The Aftermath (Shady/G-Unit) catalog ain't as big as Rap-A-Lotīs so it's a little unfair to compare them.  ;)
But if I look at the long list of personal classics Rap-A-Lot has given me,
I know that I prefer the Rap-A-Lot catalog and sound by far.

Real talk. I am glad to see John Bido and N.O. Joe doing more production on RAL related material. N.O.'s work on Cube's War Disc was incredible back in the day.

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 10:45:14 PM »

rap a lot is a family label... thats why they dont do all that promotion stuff...they losin money..J been bout his bread since day one.. if it aint shit u cant write for his taxes that will get him more than he spent.. u got money u spend it..

n if u aint fuckin with mike nem...production wise.. we paid u... u put ya money where ya mouth is.. thats how it always seemed.. thats why u hardly ever seen dre's, premiers, swizz n all them other cats.. n if u did.. it came out whomever got it on pocket..

they caught the wave ..same for ball nem... they jus made a bunch of bad decisions tryin 2 get outside they regions...ugk, ball n g r the only 3 to come out of texas by word of mouth..

draper ran suave house jus like prince.. u didnt see a whole lot of promotion from him.. maybe a page in all the magazines n thats it..

Puffy fucked them boyz off.. if he was gone get em.. he shoulda brought t-mixx wit em.. them niggas aint been the same since forever... yet he wanna put em with bangledesh n the rest of them fuck boys..

last good ball n g album was got damn me space age 4eva...

reason why no limit took off... is P nem turned the music game to the dope game..if u never understood those color cases they put out..

u dont understand the dope game...

p had connections in everything he needed to get his shit out there... and him goin 2 school in houston he knew where to get his graphics n shit for his promotions..

kuz pen n pixel is in houston.. therefore jus bout 80% of the rappers in texas used them cats...

then he was a penny pinchin fool.. he would send some of his street cats in to this eckerds i useta work at back in the day n they bring photos from albums n blow em up as posters for cheaper than nothin..we useta give em discounts on some of the shit he got..

then he was a-1 with mean green.. n if u know nething bout mean green.. u know if mean green cosigns u.. u done made it out ya region.. e-40 wasnt shit in the south til mean green broke some of his shit...he made more rappers famous than u can count.. thats who some of these dj's r tryin 2 be..the kay slays n shit.. n he did all his shit in a positive way n no drama..

p followed.. j's way of doin shit.... but he did it times 2.. but p knew u gotta spend money to get money.. j n tony draper had the same connections master p had... only difference is p used it.. n he thought outside the box...

then when p got his shit ready.. he did what nino did in the carter.. he flooded that shit throughout the south...u had to be here to understand it.. kuz his shit came out of nowhere..we knew of him of the compilations thats all.. then when ice cream man dropped.. it was over with...

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 11:05:53 PM »
check ya pm..

D~Nice

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 12:31:50 PM »
Not to say they do not drop quality material but J Prince seems uninterested in really promoting or anything.
Bun-B's 1st solo did well, but that had more to do with his self promo, free pimp c movement, and the resurgence in Houston hip hop artists.
The talent is there, but if it was not for this forum and just keeping up with things online, I would not know about half of their releases.

Rap-A-Lot has always seemed to me like a family label,they had a core producer team for the longest.
same with 8Ball and MJG they missed out too  :-\ (altough their recent music ain't on the level of their early shit they deserve to get a little shine).

Yeah I would say as far as labels RAL has the dopest producers out. Maybe only 2nd to Aftermath. No Limit always reminded me that the way it was built was kind of a mix of RAL and Death Row but yeah Suave House and RAL never took off like No Limit did.

What about Suave house?

Suave House is actually still around. They put out a old album from Rick Ross a couple months back.
Tony Draper does alot of A&R work for Cube's label. Speaking of SH, what's up with Mr. Mike?

I believe Mr.Mike released a album last year (I might be wrong though,too much shit dropping  :P :laugh:)
www.houstonsoreal.blogspot.com /damagecontrolradio interviewed him in February 2007,
the history links on the site seems to be crooked so I couldn't find a direct link for you.  :-\
From what I can remember from the interview he has been in jail for a couple of years,but is back in biz now  ;)

I would say as far as labels RAL has the dopest producers out. Maybe only 2nd to Aftermath.

I take Scarface (underrated producer),Mike Dean and John Bido over the Aftermath team any day.  ;)

But you got Focus, Khalil from time to time. I would say CORE producers for a label, you can't beat RAL.

I have not heard a any albums produced top to bottom from any of the others + I feel the Aftermath sound is to predictive.  :-\
The Aftermath (Shady/G-Unit) catalog ain't as big as Rap-A-Lotīs so it's a little unfair to compare them.  ;)

Real talk. I am glad to see John Bido and N.O. Joe doing more production on RAL related material.
N.O.'s work on Cube's War Disc was incredible back in the day.

I forgot about N.O. Joe  :-\ (shame on me  :P)
Any luck with those 3-2 albums yet?

I ordered them, just waiting on them to arrive. But nevermind, I got ya pm. And big ups to 3rd Coast dropping some knowledge in here. Good to see some RAL heads in on the thread.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 01:06:52 AM »

What about Suave house?

aftermath has (had) a lot of dope producers, it's just that the music they're making is mixed due to the company ;)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 04:20:36 AM »

What about Suave house?

aftermath has (had) a lot of dope producers, it's just that the music they're making is mixed due to the company ;)

Sure  ;),but enough about Aftermath and back to Rap-A-Lot.  ;)
Do you check for Rap-A-Lot at all?

some of their stuff  ;)

but not enough to make a good comparison  ;)

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 11:28:50 PM »

What about Suave house?

some of their stuff  ;)

youīre missing out.  ;)
ok Iīll start of recomending a album produced by John Bido;
BlacīMonks; Secrets Of The Hidden Temple

and pass the torch to D-Nice and 3rd Coast....  ;)

thats a monster that fell on deaf ears mannn forreal..

D~Nice

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 12:38:58 PM »

What about Suave house?

some of their stuff  ;)

youīre missing out.  ;)

SHIIIIT, That album is my shit right there. 3 Million Ways To Die= Classic beat and track. This album here also gets steady burn from me

Lyrically sound and the beats were cohesive throughout.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 05:29:33 PM »
RAL is still one of my favorite labels.

kemizt

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 02:00:44 AM »

What about Suave house?

some of their stuff  ;)

youīre missing out.  ;)

SHIIIIT, That album is my shit right there. 3 Million Ways To Die= Classic beat and track. This album here also gets steady burn from me

i see what you're saying; the same goes for The Diary.
it's just that i think that there are better albums from that sub genre ( when putting it in a box)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 03:38:17 AM »

What about Suave house?

some of their stuff  ;)

youīre missing out.  ;)

i see what you're saying; the same goes for The Diary.
it's just that i think that there are better albums from that sub genre ( when putting it in a box)

Other than The Diary, Rap-A-Lot don't have any bonafied classics.
So if you compare it up against Ruthless and Death Row catalog they might come short.
That said,in my opinion much of Rap-A-Lotīs catalog is up there with the best from Ruthless and Death Row.
(for ex. Geto Boys,BlacīMonks,Scarface,Big Mike and Devin)
While Ruthless and Death Row crumbled to pieces,Rap-A-Lot kept it going.... LONGEVITY!

i see your point  ;)

ABN

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 07:47:27 AM »
3rd Coast, you seem to know whatīs up with the Houston scene. so i got a question. are all of the rumors iīve heard about J.Prince running Tony Draper outta Houston true? iīve heard that it was coz he owed Tela some money or something and Jīs goons pretty much told them to get outta Houston? i have a hard time believing that but you never know with J coz heīs straight gangsta.

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
3rd Coast, you seem to know whatīs up with the Houston scene. so i got a question. are all of the rumors iīve heard about J.Prince running Tony Draper outta Houston true? iīve heard that it was coz he owed Tela some money or something and Jīs goons pretty much told them to get outta Houston? i have a hard time believing that but you never know with J coz heīs straight gangsta.

nall...

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 07:39:13 AM »
yeah the funny thing about it.. j and draper cool with one another out of respect..

tela had that heat on em..draper wasnt playin wit his ass.. so he did what scarface pimp c, yuckmouth and a couple more artist at the time did...run to lil j when its prices on they heads... in debt or constantly gettin robbed n shit

scarface cant leave rapalot if his life depended on it, kuz once this ol head see j aint babysittin em no more and the money stop..face got hell to pay

tony aint get ran out..shit i still see em on occasions ...plus we astros, texans and rockets season ticket holders...

tela was jus a pretty nigga tryin 2 be on some g-shit..got his ass checked and almost killed..and ran had to work for lil j to pay off whatever it was j paid them dudes who tony sent after him off

its always been rumors bout suave house and rap a lot