Author Topic: Co Owner Lashes Out About Artest  (Read 628 times)

"THE" MoSav

Co Owner Lashes Out About Artest
« on: July 15, 2008, 12:43:24 AM »
LAS VEGAS – The Ron Artest media tour continued over the weekend, when the Kings small forward submitted his longest e-mail rant yet to ESPN's Marc Stein.

Having already shared his regret over not opting out of his contract last month after learning he wasn't in the Kings' long-term plans, Artest expressed a desire to be traded and claimed he was "blinded by friendship" with the Maloof family that owns the Kings.

A day later, Kings co-owner Joe Maloof had a message for his conflicted player.

"He has to balance the way he acts," Joe Maloof said by phone. "He's got to control his emotions a little better. You've got to try and keep your cool a little bit.

"Take a deep breath and quit flying off the handle with comments that don't make sense. I hate to say it that way, but that's how I feel. It doesn't make sense to me."

He's not alone.

Artest's latest public venting came just six days after he had apologized to the Kings for "being mistakenly frustrated" by their stance. He not only e-mailed The Bee and ESPN to get his message out but reiterated the remorseful sentiments via text messages to Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie. Less than a week later, Artest pointed to the Maloofs as the root of his frustration.

"I was blinded by friendship," he wrote to ESPN. "Even Mama Maloof (Joe and Gavin's mother, Colleen) told me she wanted me to stay. I never knew that meant one more year. I thought it meant several. When Mama (Maloof) talks, you listen."

In his e-mails to ESPN, Artest also indicated that he would now act as his own agent. Yet his actual agent, Mark Stevens, said he has not been fired. Asked Monday if he was still Artest's agent, Stevens said, "Yes, I am."

Artest did not respond to numerous e-mails for comment.

On April 15 at Staples Center in Los Angeles, Artest – who was not playing because of a sore left thumb – left his team at halftime to take a seat next to Colleen Maloof at courtside. As he sat in street clothes during the regular-season finale against the Lakers, he exchanged pleasantries for some 15 minutes.

Although only Artest knows, that might have been the night he began to believe he was in the Kings' long-term future.

There were other indications as well, from complimentary public comments made by the Maloofs late in the season to gushing praise from Kings coach Reggie Theus in a postmortem media session April 16 in which he repeatedly deemed him the team's "best player." Public comments, however, don't typically serve as the pulse for real negotiations.

To those close to the team last season, the prospect of Artest being given a long-term extension in the summer was minimal at best. And if any of the public signs should have been heeded, it was the monthlong trade discussions with Denver before the February trade deadline. The sticking point on the Kings' end was their unfulfilled request for third-year forward Linas Kleiza, a reserve whose solid reputation remains built mostly on his promise. Then, as now, the Kings were more than willing to end Artest's Sacramento stay for the right deal.

While the Lakers continue to head the list of likely destinations for Artest, the combination of his expiring contract ($7.4 million) and his indisputable talent have led to increased interest than in February. Lakers forward Lamar Odom and his expiring contract ($14.5 million) would be the significant piece coming Sacramento's way in that scenario, though there are other similar opportunities that might arise for the Kings.

Miami is believed to have interest in Artest and be willing to part with Shawn Marion, whose $17.1 million deal also is expiring. As will be the case with most suitors, the question will be whether the Kings can include forward Kenny Thomas and his deal that includes two more seasons and approximately $18 million.

In the meantime, Artest's boss wants him to tone it down while his future unfolds.

"(Artest's comments have) never changed our opinions of him," Joe Maloof said. "We brag about him every chance we get. We speak out about how appreciative we are for everything he's done. And he's done a lot. People like him. We like him. He's just got to settle down."

Id much rather have Marion then Odom

The Best of 3 Worlds

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: Co Owner Lashes Out About Artest
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:12:15 AM »

Big mistake...Marion is a garbage man who scores all his points off of hustles plays, while Odom is a true baller who you can run plays through and for. If you acquired Odom, he'd play a much bigger role in your offense and offensive sets than a Shawn Marion...and despite Marion being a garbage guy who gets all his points from rebounds and assists, Odom still puts up better overall stats than him:

Shawn Marion-

15.4 PPG (13.1 Attempts)
10.2 RPG
2.2 APG
45.9 FG%
69 FT%
2.3 TO

Lamar Odom-
14.2 PPG (10.3 Attempts)
10.6 RPG
3.6 APG
52.5 FG%
70 FT%
2 TO

Odom is also a year and a half younger...so I'd re-think saying you'd "much rather" have Marion, if I were you.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:25:42 AM »
In his e-mails to ESPN, Artest also indicated that he would now act as his own agent. Yet his actual agent, Mark Stevens, said he has not been fired. Asked Monday if he was still Artest's agent, Stevens said, "Yes, I am."

Artest did not respond to numerous e-mails for comment.

:laugh:
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:49:22 AM »

Big mistake...Marion is a garbage man who scores all his points off of hustles plays, while Odom is a true baller who you can run plays through and for. If you acquired Odom, he'd play a much bigger role in your offense and offensive sets than a Shawn Marion...and despite Marion being a garbage guy who gets all his points from rebounds and assists, Odom still puts up better overall stats than him:

Shawn Marion-

15.4 PPG (13.1 Attempts)
10.2 RPG
2.2 APG
45.9 FG%
69 FT%
2.3 TO

Lamar Odom-
14.2 PPG (10.3 Attempts)
10.6 RPG
3.6 APG
52.5 FG%
70 FT%
2 TO

Odom is also a year and a half younger...so I'd re-think saying you'd "much rather" have Marion, if I were you.

Id much rather have Marion
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 07:44:43 AM »
I would mich rather have Marion

DIP DIP SET SET

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »
If the playoffs is not enough proof for you basketball geniueses, here is how they did against eachother in the regular season:

Lamar Odom-
18.7 PPG
14.7 RPG
3.0 APG

Shawn Marion-
15.4 PPG
12.2 RPG
2.6 APG

LOL :grumpy:

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 09:43:41 AM »
NIK, i just wanted to get a rise out of you man  :D
I def think Odom is more established and has a much better offensive game hes so tough when he gets down low cuz of his size and length  but i think Marion might fit in better with us, i would love having either guy. As long as Martin is the main guy in our offensive game, , i think either or would be fine

The Best of 3 Worlds

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 09:45:53 AM »
NIK, i just wanted to get a rise out of you man  :D
I def think Odom is more established and has a much better offensive game hes so tough when he gets down low cuz of his size and length  but i think Marion might fit in better with us, i would love having either guy. As long as Martin is the main guy in our offensive game, , i think either or would be fine

I dunno about Marion fitting in better with you guys...dude can collect his stats, but he can't create for himself. AND he wants to be the main guy (that's why he left Phoenix). I know deep down inside you'd much prefer Odom.

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 09:48:30 AM »
haha, deep down?
I like both guys, but Odom is def the safer guy to go to and he doesnt mind being a 2nd option, i know what u said about Marion wanting to be #1 is true, and Martin is DEF the #1 guy. Martin>>>>>>>>>Marion
Shit Salmons would probably be an option before Marion he has a better offensive game too...

The Best of 3 Worlds

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 10:48:44 AM »
LOL@Marion deferring to that skinny male skank called Martin.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 11:04:16 AM »
I thought stats didn't mean shit, Nik?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 12:51:33 PM »

Head-2-Head stats usually do.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 12:57:48 AM »

they typically dont. Unless youre talking about boxers or some shit lol. This is a team sport. NIK only likes to use stats when they are in his favor.

Btw, Im not a big fan of Marion, i just like to see NIK get all bent outta shape. Marion has always been overrated to me. But Odom levels the playing field with his softness. So its a wash
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 10:22:21 AM »

they typically dont. Unless youre talking about boxers or some shit lol. This is a team sport. NIK only likes to use stats when they are in his favor.

Btw, Im not a big fan of Marion, i just like to see NIK get all bent outta shape. Marion has always been overrated to me. But Odom levels the playing field with his softness. So its a wash

so when 2 players go up against eachother head-to-head, and one player ALWAYS puts up better stats across the board, it doesn't mean shit? LOL. Don't you just wish that every "soft" player could grab close to 11 rebounds a game? ::)