Poll

What do you prefer; content or flow

content
flow
both

Author Topic: content VS flow *POLL*  (Read 2022 times)

Chad Vader

content VS flow *POLL*
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »

In the last week or so I have come across some interesting convos between UCC and Dre-Day.
If you boil it down it has been about content VS flow.
If I/you generalize things,you can say that "Gangster" rappers can be pigeon hold to having dope flows and no content,
and that "Conscious" rappers got boring/lazy flows with a lot of content.

Two rappers that has come in question is; (I used their convo and these two rappers as examples)
-Snoop arguably one of the best when it come to nice flows,but the content is almost zero.
-Bishop Lamont is trying to fill is lyrics with some meaningfull content,but doubters has complained about his boring/lazy flow.

So I ask you;
-What is more important? (content or flow)

Re: Dre Produced Snoop Dogg Album Or A Dre Produced The Game Album?
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=186529.msg1907397#msg1907397

-Snoop is way past his prime, we know exactly how he will spit over every beat, he will rhyme bitch with dick for 16 bars and talk some pimp shit... I mean it will still be dope, lol, but it won't be surprising in the least

-Game is kind of the same in that he will just spit your typical Game shit over the beats, it'll sound dope, but I can't really take Game for a whole album, he never changes his flow or the tone of his voice so it'll get tired quick and you'll just end up listening to the beat for about 30 seconds before skipping to the next track because he doesn't hold people's attention too well, his main talent so far has been to get dope beats for his albums

-Bishop has the flows, the content, and the newness that will make it interesting

Re: The serious DETOX thread: what are y'all hoping for?
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=150187.msg1907552#msg1907552

but I'm starting to think that the new innovation will be mainly the lyrical content...
basically a huge mainstream album with different subject matter than we're used to - that's exactly what 'Grow Up' is

Critics mainly criticized 2001 for it's cliched, tired lyrical content,
and so I think Dre picked up on that and that's why he he's going to change the content with Detox
- no more out and out gangsta shit (and therefore no room for Game or 50)

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
Re: content VS flow *POLL*
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:11:05 PM »
I would say that flow is more important. I can't listen to some lil wayne faggots even if he would have good lyrics. Everything should be in balance though, that's for sure.

JRK

• 'G'
  • WarDoggz - Diocese/TakeOff
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:15:28 PM »
Both. You gotta say some fresh shit (content) while presentin it in a catchy way (flow)

Chuuuuch!
GIVE ME MONEY, GIVE ME PUSSY!!!

Twitter "http://twitter.com/LetsGoJRK"

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 06:16:53 PM »
Everything should be in balance though, that's for sure.

Yeah but if I HAD to choose I'd go with flow. Flow without any real lyrical content is listenable IMO (especially with a hot beat) but I can't stand it when it's the other way around.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

That Ese, In S.A., From C.A.

• 'G'
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 06:19:15 PM »
Flow. If you present a rap in a way that just sounds dope, thats more important to me. I can't listen to music because of the message. To me, music is just entertainment. Sounds like shit=not entertaining.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 06:20:46 PM »
I've always been about flow, I love hearing different flows and when dudes go nuts and change up the flows to keep it interesting - Snoop used to, but doesn't as much anymore (apart from Think About It, which was crrraazy), stuff like Tha Shizznit and Gz & Hustlaz had his best flows in my opinion

I'm all about dudes like Pharoahe Monch, KRS-One, Lady Of Rage, Kool G Rap, Eminem, Slick Rick, E-40, Das Efx, Sean Price, Tech N9ne, Royce Da 5'9'', Method Man, Pharcyde, Gift of Gab, etc - MCs who have crazy flows they can switch up and entertain me with

If they have good content to, that's a bonus, but my worst kind of MC is one who is all content and no flow, it's just sleepy time for me then

I've been paying attention to content a bit more than I used to and it's cool if they're dropping some clever shit there as well, but that to me comes second

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 06:41:37 PM »

Like, if you're listening to the hottest underground artists and they have amazing lyrics... Intelligent perspectives on shit, strong vocabulary and present issues and messages, incredible knowledge, ya know and got bars that will shock you, if they got no flow, it's boring. Like, to me, if you got all dat, but boring beat, lazy flow, I CANNOT listen to it. It would bore the shit out me.

But than again, a loud excited flow is gonna catch a niggas attention. Like Busta Rhymes, Magic, ya know. They may not be a Tupac as far as lyrical content, but their flows is amazing. They loud. They catch a nigga's ear.

As a Hip Hop fan......
Like Das EFX to me, are the greatest artists to ever bless Hip Hop. Their flow is like extraordinary. Their delivery  is on somethang serious, but as far as content, they were no Nas, but they was as innovative as an artist can get.
And now Papoose, every nigga wanna dismantle his flow, saying he don't got it, he screaming, there's no delivery, but his lyrical content is the truth. It's knowledge. It's street smart. And to me, he stands out as a rapper.

So to sum it all up, I guess a nigga gotta have both, even though alot of cats only have half of the package. And when you got it all, than you just a classic. ;D

Johnny B

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 06:45:20 PM »
FLOW for sure.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 06:50:29 PM »
I would go for Flow!!

Common is a dope MC, but Damn his flow and rapping style is boring!!
I find it hard to enjoy his music!! I've only listened to two songs outta his entire catalogue which i feel is sad, cuz he is a good MC, from the two tracks i forced myself to listen. IMO a fan shouldn't really have to do that. But then again i shouldn't really disregard an artist based solely on his flows, but unfortunately, the reverse is the case!

I appreciate content as well! A rapper with a superb flow, rhyming about nothing can get tedious as well! I think a bit of both would not be a bad idea!
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

GottiValentino

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 07:17:10 PM »
I picked flow because thats what really gets my ear when I listen to a rapper

when I listen to old Snoop like you said he wasnt saying much but the way he said was dope 8)

Chad Vader

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 07:43:01 PM »
Common is a dope MC, but Damn his flow and rapping style is boring!!
I find it hard to enjoy his music!!

Well Common must be the best example for a content rapper with the most boring flow ever.
MC? I can't tell if Common is a MC or not (his shit UNLISTENABLE),
a MC for me is a cat that concentrate more on flow and delivery. (+wordplay)

when I listen to old Snoop like you said he wasn't saying much but the way he said was dope 8)

old Snoop is a perfect example when it comes to flow,there's hardly any content.
Like Mac Dre said;

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:31:20 AM by Chad Vader »

Fresco

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 10:14:57 PM »
I side with Flow too! However I don't agree to the part the Snoop had weak lyrics... Murder Was The Case for example is the best cinematic song in my opinon.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »
I'd say it depends on my mood, what I wanna listen to at that moment.

But I gotta choose content, cause that's the most important about music for me.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:17:00 PM by K.Dub »

kemizt

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 02:40:22 AM »
nice one Chad  8)

I've always been about flow, I love hearing different flows and when dudes go nuts and change up the flows to keep it interesting - Snoop used to, but doesn't as much anymore (apart from Think About It, which was crrraazy), stuff like Tha Shizznit and Gz & Hustlaz had his best flows in my opinion

I'm all about dudes like Pharoahe Monch, KRS-One, Lady Of Rage, Kool G Rap, Eminem, Slick Rick, E-40, Das Efx, Sean Price, Tech N9ne, Royce Da 5'9'', Method Man, Pharcyde, Gift of Gab, etc - MCs who have crazy flows they can switch up and entertain me with

If they have good content to, that's a bonus, but my worst kind of MC is one who is all content and no flow, it's just sleepy time for me then

I've been paying attention to content a bit more than I used to and it's cool if they're dropping some clever shit there as well, but that to me comes second

yeah for me a good flow is more required than content, cause i believe a good flow can make up for the content, but not the other way around.

it's music after all  :)

and good delivery fuels the words, so with content it makes it stronger.

so it's not like content is not important at all, it's just not that important.

i always find it hard to judge content anyway, so i often don't really comment on when reviewing stuff.

by the way, let's not forget about the D.O.C. !

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:42:08 AM by Dre-Day »

smegma

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 02:54:20 AM »
The combination of both is the most important... but when I listen to Nuthin But A G Thang I really don't care much about the content lol