Poll

What do you prefer; content or flow

content
flow
both

Author Topic: content VS flow *POLL*  (Read 2030 times)

HimselfTheMajestic

Re: content VS flow *POLL*
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2008, 03:32:31 PM »
the essence of a good MC, is being dope lyrically and having a good flow.
i can enjoy a mcs lyrics at times if they have a somewhat "boring" but
interesting flow(mastah killah comes to mind), as long as they have
dope thought provoking lyrics, or really visual lyrics.

however theres plenty of mcs i listen to who have good flows or "swagger"
as the kids call it these days, but absolutely no lyrical prowess.

i wouldn't say either is more important then the other, they're equally
as important. where would tupac and biggie have been if they didn't have
those unique flows, but backed with mad lyrical content.

with that sad, eminems older shit, and nas are the best flows in hip hop.
straight up, on beat, on point, catchy and understandable.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2008, 04:14:44 PM »
i wouldn't say either is more important then the other, they're equally
as important. where would tupac and biggie have been if they didn't have
those unique flows, but backed with mad lyrical content.

with that sad, eminems older shit, and nas are the best flows in hip hop.
straight up, on beat, on point, catchy and understandable.

Eminem's flows got crazier and doper in my opinion as he's gone on - he only had that one battle flow he always used with punchlines on the first couple of albums mainly

Biggie had a cool flow, it wasn't crazy, but it changed up enough to make it interesting

2Pac I think had a pretty dull flow, but he wasn't about the flow at all, he was more about a passionate delivery and painting a picture

I think dudes like Nas, Jay-Z, Common have the most boring flows that I fall asleep to - they're always the same and don't do anything interesting most of the time - I've never heard a dope Nas flow, it's just like he's talking most of the time, so it's lucky he has dope content!

Common had a doper flow back on Resurrection, he was playing around with the rhythms and shit a bit more, and Jay-Z occasionally does something interesting with the flow, but not very often

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2008, 04:19:31 PM »

Eminem's flows got crazier and doper in my opinion as he's gone on - he only had that one battle flow he always used with punchlines on the first couple of albums mainly

yeah True!!
but I kinda view Eminem as one of the few rappers that has both flow and content!
Though at times, i wish he'd do more content laden tracks, than just flow!
but of late he has been failing in both categories!
His older stuff, proves IMO that he had both technique's in the palm of both hands..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 04:26:11 AM by Mackin »
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

RingMan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BWS Czech Capo
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 11:22:27 AM »
Chad Vader: what Talib album have you heard? because since Reflection Eternal he improved his style pretty much

and why is flow more important to me, because usually when I listen to music I am doing something else, like browsing dubcc and I dont pay big attention to lyrics so I cant listen to some boring rapper, but that doesnt mean I dont know what they are rhyming about ;)

Rap is not real, I don't care what they told you,
Fake people say fake things in their vocalbooth
- Soul Position - Mic Control

I make it hard to read me, graffiti flow - Rakim - Word On The Streets

Chad Vader

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2008, 12:05:48 PM »
Chad: what about some of his earlier work like Resurrection?

Don't believe I heard that one.... if for some reason the beats is tight on that one,I'm not sure if that's enough to keep my attention.
Beats can (at times) save the most shitty,wak and/or boring rappers out there.... but to save Common... ehhh the beats better be some crazy ass shit.  :laugh:

What's the purpose of having a tight flow if you are constantly spitting verbal garbage.
Same thing with content, you could be saying the realest words ever spoken, but if it sounds like a garbled mess on the beat, I'm not listening.
They go hand in hand, ain't no separation for me.

What about a cat like Kurupt?
-Hardly any content (most of the time)
-A lot of "big words"
-A lot of cursing
-Then some name drops....

That's basicilly Kurupt for you. You could say he spits;

verbal garbage
so I would argue that a "non content" rapper like Kurupt,still could get away "just" flow and delivery.

Itīs all a opinion though,thereīs probably rappers out there that canīt keep your attention either for some reason... be it their content,their flow or voice.  ;)

true but they got to be at least wack.

like?

I dont think Common was the best example, Mos Def is

same shit.....  ;)
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=187292.msg1930694#msg1930694

Chad Vader: what Talib album have you heard? because since Reflection Eternal he improved his style pretty much

Reflection Eternal..... Iīve heard him on Hi-Tekīs albums after that + on;
The Coup feat; Black Thought & Talib Kweli canīt say Iīm impressed.... I love this song though;

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/N_5iRLn91TM&amp;hl=en" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/N_5iRLn91TM&amp;hl=en</a>
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 01:41:17 PM by Chad Vader »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2008, 12:21:11 PM »
if it weren't for Encore i would have agreed with you :P

RingMan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BWS Czech Capo
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2008, 01:32:41 PM »
Chad Vager: yeah, everyone on this song ripped it, try Ear Drum, I'm sure you'll like it, or just some singles, Hostile Gospel 1 and More or Less

Rap is not real, I don't care what they told you,
Fake people say fake things in their vocalbooth
- Soul Position - Mic Control

I make it hard to read me, graffiti flow - Rakim - Word On The Streets

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2008, 07:55:55 PM »
First of all i voted both because at the end of the day, u can flow and flow but if your shit ends up like encore, imma take an album from one these so called 'boring flow' rappers like nas and jigga like someone said in a hilarious statement.

As for Content and flow...Nas has it..Content is dope and makes good music, flows to his shit and thats why he is one of the greats...not just based on content but because of his flow...anyone telling you nas cant flow dont know shit about nas and his history.

Second jigga, not a fan but again, dude got flow and while i dont like him personally, his content is not terrible.

Bishop is kinda a 50/50...is he a content based rapper or flow based rapper?....grow up would suggest dude thinks his content...but then the initial first single was 'feel on it' and that was all about flow and jamming to music, though it failed...it was in complete contrast to 'grow up'...im not big on bishop right now anyway

Also alot depends on what music you're making and how important content is for that type of music...if you're making a club joint, your content better fit a club joint...if your making a street gangsta joint...again, your content better fit that...same with more realistic/deep stuff but its about content which fits for the aim of the joint and making sure the flow is right.

Someone said something along the lines of flow can make up for poor content and i agree, but many things can make up for many things...a super dope beat can hide a weak flow..amazing content can hide an average flow...and thats why i voted both because at the end of the day, many things make a great song and content,flow, beat etc all make a great joint for me.

Eminem cant hid from the fact that encore was terrible regardless of his flow...but again, thats one one example, i could give many but the basic thing is...

Content and flow, both important imo...

Dope topic

pz

Scrappy Doo

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2008, 06:08:48 AM »
Flow all the way....i mean i could blast Biggie and Pun all day long not even listening to the lyrics cause their flow is on a whole nother level.

ThaRealSupreme

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »
Both but content is more important than flow to me because u can ride the hell out of a beat but say some bull shit.
I stand before God when I say that I'm not a facade_Supreme

Muhfukka

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2008, 09:23:16 PM »
Everything should be in balance though, that's for sure.

Yeah but if I HAD to choose I'd go with flow. Flow without any real lyrical content is listenable IMO (especially with a hot beat) but I can't stand it when it's the other way around.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2008, 10:36:37 PM »
I'd say it depends on my mood, what I wanna listen to at that moment.

But I gotta choose content, cause that's the most important about music for me.

Word.

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Kane Beatz Movement - The Building Records
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2008, 11:08:56 PM »
Both. You gotta say some fresh shit (content) while presentin it in a catchy way (flow)

Chuuuuch!

Chad Vader

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2008, 04:26:40 PM »
Chad Vader: yeah, everyone on this song ripped it, try Ear Drum, I'm sure you'll like it, or just some singles, Hostile Gospel 1 and More or Less

I found these; (is those right?)

Hostile Gospel 1.5 (remix)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XAfwI7Oslc0&amp;hl=en" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XAfwI7Oslc0&amp;hl=en</a>

^^^ the beat is cool...... Talibīs flow is a little different on that,a little wild to be him  :laugh: :laugh: ... it's alright  ;) ^^^^

Talib Kweli - More or Less
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JHIGKOpefBw&amp;hl=en" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JHIGKOpefBw&amp;hl=en</a>

^^^Dope video,dope lyrics..... but the beat,hook and flow don't move me  :-\ ;) ^^^^

Majesty

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2008, 04:40:11 PM »
Flow over lyrics look at game he aint saying much but it sounds dope
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 04:45:41 PM by Ecay Uno »