Author Topic: Onyx - All We Got Iz Us  (Read 576 times)

Okka

Re: Onyx - All We Got Iz Us
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 10:31:25 AM »
They ain't from QB

Yeah they is.

only sticky iz from brooklyn or bronx original onyx iz QB

I thought Sticky is from QB, he mentions Southside, Queens in some songs.

EDIT: Wikipedia says he's from Brooklyn. The official website has this info: He was born in New York City sometime after the Watts riots, and lived in basically every borough NYC has to offer.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 10:42:39 AM by Okka »

Lil White Azz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Always stay G`d Up
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 11:05:14 AM »
Come on and scream, And shout , just let it all out!!!

YEEEAAAH  8)

Dope shit

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »
They ain't from QB

Yeah they is.

EDIT: Wikipedia says he's from Brooklyn. The official website has this info: He was born in New York City sometime after the Watts riots, and lived in basically every borough NYC has to offer.
Southside is just Queens, not QB
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts

Lucifuge

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 11:51:42 AM »
They ain't from QB

Yeah they is.

Southside is just Queens, not QB

;D

yea i read on wikipedia. shut em down was dope album also they got some ill shit
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 12:04:41 PM »
This album was dark and morbid.

That sums it up pretty good. And it was a dope album indeed but people weren't expecting this from Onyx.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Blood$

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 01:37:56 PM »
Bacdafucup is the only album I have from Onyx... that shit was classic

only track I heard from this particular album is "Last Dayz" which is hard as fuck... I'm gonna have to check this one out  8)

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 03:14:47 AM »
Last Dayz is a classic...dope album...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Soopahigh

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 06:13:33 AM »
Come on and scream, And shout , just let it all out!!!

YEEEAAAH  8)

Dope shit

yeah dope shit  8)

Elevz

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 10:53:27 AM »
definently one of the best East Coast records ever made
it's still a 10/10 album.

::)

Yeah, it was a cool album, but don't wet your panties over it...

Okka

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 02:22:12 PM »

Well, i have always liked it, so for me it's a 10/10 album.

Elevz

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 04:55:58 AM »

Well, i have always liked it, so for me it's a 10/10 album.

There's plenty of albums that I've always liked, but that doesn't make them all 10/10 albums.

The same thing goes for you:

the remixes of "Shout" and "All We Got Iz Us" (Evil Streets ft. Method Man) should have been on the album
They all got dope lyrics, but Sticky is the one that was the most lyrical on this album
Fredro Starr had great beats.

If those remixes should have been on the album but they weren't, how is the album 10/10 perfect? Is the album as good without those remixes as it would have been with them?
If Sticky Fingaz is the most lyrical (only on this album?), how can it still be a 10/10 perfect when the others dropped rhymes too (that you just classify as  dope)? You're basically saying the others aren't as good as Sticky, and still it is a perfect effort.
Fredro Starr had great beats. Great, like your all time favorite composer or producer's best effort great? Or (just) "really enjoyable" or "very nice"? If you classify the beat Fredro did for "Live Niguz" as 10/10, then how do you rate the beats to "California Love" or "Nuthin' But A G-Thang" (assuming that you're at least very fond of such tracks)?

I think you're getting the point. If you're calling this rap album is a 10/10, then you're degrading those artists who actually deserve that 10/10. I don't think any rap artist could potentially pull a 10/10, and if there were some, it surely wouldn't be Onyx.

Another $0.02 added.

Okka

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 05:12:13 AM »
I think you're getting the point. If you're calling this rap album is a 10/10, then you're degrading those artists who actually deserve that 10/10. I don't think any rap artist could potentially pull a 10/10, and if there were some, it surely wouldn't be Onyx.
Another $0.02 added.

Aiight, whateva man. But the album is great, it's a classic East Coast record (so those Dre beats you were talkin about doesn't have anything to do with this and i've never considered "Nuthin But A G Thang" as so great as a lot of people think it is) , and they all had dope lyrics, but i liked Sticky's lyrics the most and the reason i said Fredro had great beats was, 1) I never knew he produced those beats, untill i looked at the credits not too long ago and the most of those beats were great, yeah maybe it ain't a 10/10 but it's a close one, my favorite Onyx album.

If those remixes should have been on the album but they weren't, how is the album 10/10 perfect? Is the album as good without those remixes as it would have been with them?

Yeah it is, but they could've been great bonus songs.

Elevz

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 07:59:30 AM »
Ah, well, that's a different story then ;)

I disagree however on how you say the comparison between Fredro's beats and the music of Dr. Dre or even The Rolling Stones or Bach would be irrelevant. In the realm of human attempts at crafting the perfect combination of sounds (in other words: in music), artificially drawn borders don't make the difference in whether something is perfect as such or not. If you call something the perfect piece of music in hiphop or rap, whilst also stating how that doesn't mean it can "objectively" compete with the best other genres have to offer, you're implying the subpar status of hiphop or rap music. That's an indirect way to say that rap music simply cannot be as good as the best music from some other genres.
Now I know you didn't say Fredro Starr is the best East Coast producer, but Dr. Dre is generally regarded as (at least one of) the best musician(s) in westcoast rap, as well as hiphop on a whole. All We Got Iz Us is rarely seen as a classic in hiphop, let alone Eastcoast hip-hop, but if this were a truly as (nearly) perfected piece of music as you say it is, that necessarily implies how much rap music on a whole is only so-so at best. That's the only conclusion I can draw here, unless, of course, you're willing to dismiss the general opinion on a whole. That would be one daring position to take, and I personally would doubt the objectivity behind it. So much for the philosophical talk... I have a feeling I don't belong in the music sections here. ;)

Okka

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 09:31:54 AM »
Now I know you didn't say Fredro Starr is the best East Coast producer, but Dr. Dre is generally regarded as (at least one of) the best musician(s) in westcoast rap, as well as hiphop on a whole.

Yeah, i know that. But we ain't talkin about Dre ;) We are talkin about "All We Got Iz Us" from Onyx :D

It's all opinions though, but i like this album very much, cause it's dark like somebody said allready.

Elevz

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 09:58:50 AM »
Now I know you didn't say Fredro Starr is the best East Coast producer, but Dr. Dre is generally regarded as (at least one of) the best musician(s) in westcoast rap, as well as hiphop on a whole.

Yeah, i know that. But we ain't talkin about Dre ;) We are talkin about "All We Got Iz Us" from Onyx :D

...put into perspective, amidst other music of its time! Now that does include the good doctor, doesn't it? ;)

It's all opinions though, but i like this album very much, cause it's dark like somebody said allready.

I used to be a huge fan of Onyx some years ago, but somehow this album never did it for me. I always liked Bacdafucup and Shut 'em Down a lot better. Perhaps it was all a bit too dark and grimey for me - I don't know, but it felt to me that it was all a lot less musical and more aggressive, just for the sake of being aggressive. Just didn't really do it for me. I know that now, years later, I wouldn't even be able to listen to one Onyx song all the way through. Funny how times change.