Author Topic: Fergie goes to war over Berbatov  (Read 81 times)

Elano

Fergie goes to war over Berbatov
« on: July 20, 2008, 11:37:55 AM »
Sir Alex Ferguson is considering legal action against the Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy as Berbatov row continues

SIR ALEX FERGUSON is considering legal action against the Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy as the row over Manchester United’s pursuit of striker Dimitar Berbatov threatens to escalate into an ugly confrontation between the clubs. Ferguson is incandescent about a statement by Levy in which he branded the United manager “unbelievably hypocritical” and accused him of “sheer arrogance”.

Levy has also made a complaint to the Premier League regarding Ferguson’s conduct in his attempts to sign Berbatov, for whom United have bid £20m. United indicated last night that this would be vigorously contested.

At the centre of the argument are quotes attributed to Ferguson in The Sun, which he categorically denies having given. The newspaper quoted Ferguson as saying he was confident of signing Berbatov. Levy interpreted this as “interference” with regard to his player, labelling it “probably one of the worst offences by any manager in the Premier League to date”.

However, Ferguson, speaking in Cape Town after United drew 1-1 with Kaizer Chiefs in the first game of their South African tour, hit back in the strongest terms. “It is going to be very embarrassing for Tottenham because they have based their complaint on a story in The Sun. I don’t know where they got these quotes from, but it certainly wasn’t me,” Ferguson said.

“I haven’t seen [Levy’s statement] yet. I have just been given the gist of it by our press officer. But I’m sure our legal people will be looking at it.”

Unless it can be proved that Ferguson made the comments in dispute, Levy could find himself defending a defamation case. However, last night Tottenham said that they stood firmly by the statement.

In all likelihood, the row has strengthened United’s chances of signing Berbatov, who joined Spurs in May 2006 for £10.9m. Levy was determined to play hardball over the 27-year-old Bulgarian striker, for whom he is thought to be seeking £30m, but he may have to be more accommodating should he find himself trying to persuade Ferguson not to sue.

Barcelona are also interested in Berbatov and are reported to be ready to offer Tottenham £24m for his services.

(times)

Elano

Re: Fergie goes to war over Berbatov
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 11:41:56 AM »
ALEX FERGUSON has been blasted as a disgraceful, arrogant hypocrite by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy.

Tottenham last night reported Manchester United and boss Fergie to the Premier League for tapping up their star striker Dimitar Berbatov.

And a furious Levy also let Liverpool have it by reporting them for their attempts to lure Robbie Keane to Anfield.

Levy said: “It is unbelievably hypocritical given Ferguson’s recent comments about Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid.

“It is also one of the worst offences by any manager in the Premier League to date.

''As a result, we’ve made an official complaint about the conduct of Manchester United.

“Comments made by their manager, announcing he is confident a deal will go through, is a blatant example of sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players.”

Levy had remained tight-lipped on United’s interest in Berbatov but exploded in anger when he read Fergie’s admission in yesterday’s SunSport that he had made a £22million offer for Berba.

Ferguson said he was convinced Berba, 27, would be moving to Old Trafford — even though he tried to get Real Madrid punished by FIFA for going public with their desire to sign United winger Ronaldo.

Levy raged: “This comes after a series of events — dating back to last summer — which have shown Manchester United to be in breach of Premier League rules.”

Liverpool are already in the dock after comments from their boss Rafa Benitez about Berbatov’s strike partner Robbie Keane, 28.

Levy added: “Benitez made similar comments in respect of Robbie and we made an official complaint about the conduct of Liverpool earlier this week.

“The behaviour of both clubs has been disgraceful.

''We told them very early on that we had no interest in selling Robbie or Dimitar and they should refrain from chasing the players.

“Both arrogantly chose to ignore this request and we have evidence both have worked outside league rules.

“Indeed both clubs made contact with the players and their agents without the Tottenham’s permission.”

Levy insists United and Liverpool’s interest has caused unrest in the Spurs dressing room during pre-season.

He said: “When a player’s head is turned and their commitment is absent, they become a negative influence.

“Dimitar and Robbie have made it clear they wish to leave for Manchester United and Liverpool respectively.”

(sun)

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »
lol this is coming from the guy who took ramos from sevilla  ::)

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 02:53:59 PM »
IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING FOOD CHAIN NIGGERS
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin