Author Topic: De La Soul's Double Diss  (Read 236 times)

Tito

De La Soul's Double Diss
« on: May 01, 2002, 06:34:44 AM »
Tommy Boy Records sold the contracts of a majority of their rap acts in March and De La Soul were among those affected. Their contract transferred to Elektra in the shakeup, but the trio didn't hear about the change from Tommy Boy founder Tom Silverman. "It was actually unfortunate and a bit of a disappointment because we found it out in the streets," a frustrated Trugoy the Dove told SOHH. "The president of the company, Tom Silverman, unfortunately, the way I see it, didn't have the heart to just tell us that the company was falling. And I think to an extent it was a strategy of his to not let us know, so that we released the last album on the label. Had we known the company was falling down, we would have just held back [AOI: Bionix] and waited until we found out what the situation was...but business is business and we're moving on."

To add insult to injury, Elektra Records have elected not to keep De La Soul on their roster. "To break the news, I guess you're the first one to know it. We are not on Elektra," said Trugoy. "[Elektra CEO] Sylvia Rhone pretty much didn't feel like she could actually, I guess, run with a group like De La. I guess she's used to groups that put an album out and there's like two hits on the record and you know, that's it." Elektra is home to artists like Tweet, Fabolous and Knoc-Turn'al.

De La Soul's current label quandary involves Warner Brothers and Atlantic Records. Both companies have the option to acquire De La Soul's contract, but Trugoy is hoping to simply end their relationship with the Warner/Elektra/Atlantic conglomerate altogether. "What we're hoping will happen is that no one wants to do the album with us and we'll be left to do it ourselves. Either we'll do some indie s--- or we'll just chill and hang out. We love this music and we're going to continue to do it, whether it's on our own or with a company that wants to take on the job."

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

=[Euthanasia]=

Re: De La Soul's Double Diss
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 07:24:41 AM »
Damn, when will record companies fucking over their hip-hop acts stop!!

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

KVB

Re: De La Soul's Double Diss
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 10:41:29 AM »
^ Word, this is some bullshit... De La Soul have been in the game for a long time, and deserve to be treated with respect.

One