Author Topic: The Real Reason Dr. Dre Isn’t Dropping “Detox”…  (Read 805 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: The Real Reason Dr. Dre Isn’t Dropping “Detox”…
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 03:11:50 PM »
i remember bishop once announced a project called blog food

Major-XZ

• 'G'
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 03:47:22 PM »
I couldn’t help but laugh when I saw the USA Today article about Dr. Dre and the music industry myth which is his forthcoming LP, Detox. In the article, Dre says,
“I’m just now — over the last couple of months — starting to feel that it’s going to be right and it’s something I can be proud of, and everybody is going to love it… In a perfect world, I’m shooting for a November or December release.”

Bullshit. The reality is, Dr. Dre has been hinting at the release of this album for almost ten years. It’s long overdue. It’s overdue to the point that I don’t think anyone outside of the music industry even cares if it ever comes out. Really, how many new fans that have been turned on to hip-hop in the past ten years even know who Dr. Dre is? It’s like when I was a kid, you could tell me all about the greatness of this one and that one before me, but as much as I respected them, I didn’t buy their records or get into what they were doing just because. They had to make something I liked right now. How many Soulja Boy or V.I.C. Get Silly fans do you think Dre can appeal to? I don’t even think the average Lil Wayne fan could get with a Dr. Dre record right now.

With the direction that hip-hop has moved in, I don’t see Dre fitting into the current paradigm, and I don’t know that he has the cultural or musical relevance anymore to get with the times. He’s a looming figure, but he doesn’t put out enough material to keep himself relevant, and the projects he has been involved with over the past few years haven’t really lived up to expectations. The Big Bang anyone?

He keeps talking about Detox like it’s some musical masterpiece, which I’m sure on a technical level it will be, that he’s this big perfectionist, and blah blah blah…. I think he’s just waiting for the current tide of kiddie rap to pass by so he doesn’t have to worry about catching a brick, which is very possible with the way hip-hop fans treat their elder statesmen. The reality of it is, kiddie rap ain’t going anywhere, and pop rap hasn’t even met its full potential just yet. What, you thought Fergie rapping on a Nelly song was a rarity? That’s about to be the norm. Get ready.

But seriously, if I’m Dre, I just man the fuck up and keep it real with the people, with his fans, and just come out and say that I’m taking forever with this project because I think I might come out and people just won’t give a shit the way they used to. That I stood by the wayside while hip-hop became a buffoonery show (see: Rick Ross) and nearly died, and I pretty much did nothing but make records and keep them locked away on a hard drive somewhere.

Put your money where your mouth is Dre. No more talk. Put a record out, any record. Just do it.

Because while the whole aura and mystique of Detox was once a cool thing, something that added to the anticipation, now it’s just making you look bad. A running joke. A myth.

(xxlmag.com)

Smart Talk WhoEver Said That! Really!

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »
are you sitting on xzibits lap in your sig?

Lunatic

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »
lol..some of these posing ass writers ain't no shit..when and if detox drops..it's selling through the roof..anyone who says otherwise doesnt know shit or is simply trying to raise controversy/trying to get ppl to talk ::)
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

love33

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 04:27:05 PM »
I kind of tend to agree with the original poster.  Detox has been remade 8 times or so.  When it was in its original stages, it was going to have Six-Two, Hittman, Eminem, The Game, 50 Cent, Knoc'Turnal, Kurupt, Xzibit, Snoop, etc. all on it.  At the time period, if he would have dropped it then, he probably would have done well with it.

But, he didn't think his finished product was good enough and wanted to be more original with it.

So, he waited and redid the album and then Lil Jon was blowing on every track and everyone was getting down to "Get Low" "Salt Shaker" "Shake That Monkey" "Yeah" "Okay w/ Nivea" and all the tracks that Lil Jon was jumping on and making millions off of.  Dre didn't think he could compete with that so he waited and waited for it to pass.

As he waited, he redid the album with a musical play situation where he was going to have each rapper contribute a track and pretend they were in a musical play and play the role of another rapper.  The track "Say Dr. Dre" by Crooked I was one of the tracks that was intended for the album in which Crooked I pretends he is Dr. Dre on the track and telling everyone about his accomplishments.  It was going to be more of a compliation than a solo album riding his name and that "Detox" title.

Dre then thought that the concept would fail, thus he started from scratch once again.

Then the rumors flew that he was going to do an album similar to The Chronic and load it up with Snoop on half the tracks and a small dose of Eminem, 50 Cent, The Game, and Kurupt.  That album never seemed to be up to expectations and Dre said he just scrapped it.  At the time his production couldn't keep up.

And now, we have the rumored tracklist of Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, 50 Cent, Nas, and all the cats in the last 9 years that have been selling records.

Now that Lil Jon is long gone, Dre has to compete with the Florida/New Orleans crew that has a griphold on the rap game.  I'm talking Lil Wayne, Cash Money, DJ Khaled, Fat Joe (he lives in Miami even though he reps NY), Rick Ross (debuted at #1), T-Pain (reps Tallahassee), Akon (has a pad in Florida), Plies (reps Ft. Myers), 2 Pistolz, Flo Rida, Trick Daddy, and Young Jeezy (he reps ATL but he rolls with that crew).

Dre can't hang with "I'm Out Here Grindin" "We Takin Over" "The Boss" and track after track being put out by this crew.  This DJ Khaled crew is just too much for Dre to compete with using true hiphop rappers like 50, Jay-Z, and Nas.  People would rather hear T-Pain and Akon grace a track than to hear that early 2000 roster that Dre is coming with on this latest attempt at Detox.

If he really didn't care about sales, he would put Bishop Lamont, Crooked I, Eastwood, Yukmouth, The Game, Too Short, Daz & Kurupt, Ice Cube, Mack 10, Sly Boogy, XL Middleton, Snoop Dogg, Xzibit, etc. and make it the rebirth of the West Coast.  If he could cause a coastal shift with his album, that would really be a true classic.  That's what The Chronic did and if he could repeat that, he would be showing his coast love.

But don't forget, Dre has failed in a lot of efforts but his failures are overlooked by the media.  Similar to Brett Favre having the most TD passes, he also has the most Interceptions.  Dre is the same.  He failed with Knoc'Turnal, Truth Hurtz, "The Big Bang," Hittman never dropped, Rakim never dropped, a ton of artist from Aftermath dropped.  Dre hasn't always had the magic touch.

I agree with the poster, Dre is afraid to fail.  I personally think that this will be the final product because like fans have been saying he can't sell with the old Death Row crew and his Westcoast crew.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 04:58:40 PM »
^^Agreed!!
Big Bang was Good IMO!

But for some reason, I'm hoping Dre Proves this guys wrong!!!
Rick Ross et al have the rap game on Lock !  :-\ :-\
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 06:03:03 PM »
thing is, he does have history with nas (the firm), and he worked with jay alot recently (kingdom come)

waynes sorta out of left field, but hes gotta be on everything these days  ::)

Jimmy H.

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 06:50:54 PM »
If he really didn't care about sales, he would put Bishop Lamont, Crooked I, Eastwood, Yukmouth, The Game, Too Short, Daz & Kurupt, Ice Cube, Mack 10, Sly Boogy, XL Middleton, Snoop Dogg, Xzibit, etc. and make it the rebirth of the West Coast.  If he could cause a coastal shift with his album, that would really be a true classic.  That's what The Chronic did and if he could repeat that, he would be showing his coast love.

But don't forget, Dre has failed in a lot of efforts but his failures are overlooked by the media.  Similar to Brett Favre having the most TD passes, he also has the most Interceptions.  Dre is the same.  He failed with Knoc'Turnal, Truth Hurtz, "The Big Bang," Hittman never dropped, Rakim never dropped, a ton of artist from Aftermath dropped.  Dre hasn't always had the magic touch.
But it's not realistic situation nor should it be on him to resurrect the West when some of them dudes have dissed him on wax and print. The guy has never really been about just West Coast. He wants to work with the artists he likes. From what people like Kurupt and Quik has said about Dre, he seem to like to working in a creative environment and not with people bringing negative shit into the studio and that's why he don't fuck with a lot of West cats.

And no question that Dre has had some failures too but you can't put albums not dropping on that list. If you recognize that record isn't working and you don't finish or put it out, that's not an "L".

PLANT

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 07:47:08 PM »
Before 2001 came out everyone was saying the same shit about Dre, he fell off, he cant make another classic and on and on......

When Detox finally drops Im certain its going to be the record we've been waiting for.  It will be a classic, theres no doubt in my mind.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 07:50:01 PM »

But it's not realistic situation nor should it be on him to resurrect the West when some of them dudes have dissed him on wax and print.
Agreed, it'll be too much of a burden for one Person to do it!

The guy has never really been about just West Coast. He wants to work with the artists he likes. From what people like Kurupt and Quik has said about Dre, he seem to like to working in a creative environment and not with people bringing negative shit into the studio and that's why he don't fuck with a lot of West cats.

And no question that Dre has had some failures too but you can't put albums not dropping on that list. If you recognize that record isn't working and you don't finish or put it out, that's not an "L".
On Point!
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

Jimmy H.

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 09:26:10 PM »
^^Agreed!!
Big Bang was Good IMO!

I think Big Bang was an amazing album but for whatever reason, it didn't take off like it should have.