Author Topic: 50 Cent sues Taco Bell over ad campaign  (Read 371 times)

G-Funk

50 Cent sues Taco Bell over ad campaign
« on: July 24, 2008, 08:52:26 AM »
50 Cent has sued Taco Bell, claiming the fast-food restaurant chain is using his name without permission in advertising that asks him to call himself 99 Cent.

The rapper says in a federal lawsuit filed Wednesday that the Mexican-themed chain features him in a print ad asking him to change his name to 79 Cent, 89 Cent or 99 Cent. His real name is Curtis Jackson.

The rapper's court papers say the ad is part of Taco Bell's "Why Pay More?" campaign, which promotes items for under a dollar, including Cinnamon Twists for 79 cents, Crunchy Tacos for 89 cents and Bean Burritos for 99 cents. The papers say the Irvine, Calif.-based company sent a bogus letter requesting the name change to the news media but not to the rapper.

The rapper's lawyer, Peter D. Raymond, said his client didn't learn about the letter or that he was featured in the ad campaign until he saw a news report about it. Raymond said his client is seeking $4 million in damages.

Taco Bell Corp. spokesman Rob Poetsch issued a statement saying: "We made a good faith, charitable offer to 50 Cent to change his name to either 79, 89 or 99 Cent for one day by rapping his order at a Taco Bell, and we would have been very pleased to make the $10,000 donation to the charity of his choice."

This isn't the first time 50 Cent has sued over his name or image.

In July 2007, he filed a $1 million lawsuit accusing an Internet ad company of using his image without permission in a game called "Shoot the Rapper," in which the player pretends to shoot him.

The game shows 50 Cent walking in an ad across the top of a Web page while the viewer is encouraged to shoot him by aiming and clicking with the mouse, the rapper's court papers said; a successful shot results in a misty cloud of red, and then the viewer is directed to another Web page, where the ad firm's clients sell goods and services.

The rapper is a well-known victim of gun violence: He was shot outside his grandmother's Queens home in 2000 and rapped in one of his biggest hits, "In da Club," about being hit with a few shells.

The rapper has been nominated for 13 Grammys, including for the song "In da Club" and the album "Get Rich or Die Tryin'." In 2005, he starred with Terrence Howard in a semi-autobiographical movie based on that album. He also starred in the 2006 film "Home of the Brave" as a soldier returning home from Iraq.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080724/ap_en_ce/people50_cent_taco_bell

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
Re: 50 Cent sues Taco Bell over ad campaign
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
...what can he get out of this?

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
Mo money, mo money  ;D
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:07:42 AM »
didnt somebody post this like months ago?

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:25:09 AM »
yeah I posted about it when Taco Bell first brought it up and he said he was gonna sue. I guess its actually going down now though

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 01:00:27 PM »
now that TOS flopped lol

G-Funk

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 01:04:37 PM »
yeah I posted about it when Taco Bell first brought it up and he said he was gonna sue. I guess its actually going down now though
now that TOS flopped lol

lol he had a back-up plan :D

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 01:11:05 PM »
apparently it may "ruin his good name".

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 01:28:46 PM »
Bentleys all around again!!!

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 09:51:52 PM »
apparently it may "ruin his good name".

whether he makes good music, or bad music that doesnt sell. "50 Cent" is a idolistic name to the young people who still enjoy his music.