Author Topic: Hip Hop Scene from D.C.?  (Read 70 times)

Dogg Ly Dogg

Hip Hop Scene from D.C.?
« on: August 03, 2008, 02:44:54 AM »
Hey someone can hook me up with some rappers from D.C.?
The only cat I know is J.A. from North East DC so if someone got names just post in here jus like the topic about Detroit scene.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Re: Hip Hop Scene from D.C.?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 04:06:04 AM »
The main one I hear about now is a dude named "Wale"....he got a song called "Nike boots" and one called "Up in the Go-Go" or somethin like that.

D.C. has always been known more for their Go-Go scene than Hip Hop...some of the Go-Go tracks go hard, even though a lot of them sound weird as hell and like noise if you aren't into it. Check Backyard Band, Junkyard Band, U.C.B., E.U. (Doin da butt), and a few more of their bands to see what Go-Go is like...that's all they've really been on up there. With Go-Go, they usually re-make songs that are already made, or they'll take the beat/hook and flip it and add raps to it.

It's definitely not for everybody...some people love it, some people hate it. The main song that most people love most is called "Sexy lady" by U.C.B....and "Doin da butt" is by far the most famous Go-Go song ever, which may be followed by tracks like "Sardines". Chuck Brown is seen as the originator of it, but I can't even name his songs that have that flavor to it, because his main hits weren't even Go-Go tracks. He does have a new song out called "Party roll" that has that flavor to it...I think it's dope as hell.

i B 2 QUIK 2 c

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 06:07:56 AM »
I live in DC (not MD or VA).  I think the only local artists worth checking out are Wale and Tabi Bonney... Wale is signed to Interscope records and should release his debut in January 2009... never been a fan of Go-Go music though (I moved here 6 years ago, so I wasn't "raised" on it)... What R-Tistic posted above is a good assessment of Go-Go music.

As for the music:

For Wale, peep "W.A.L.E. Dance" over the Justice beat; "Hip-Hop Game Freestyle" over the 9th Wonder beat; "Daytona 1000" :o over the "Nautilus" breaks; all his mixtapes have some good tracks here and there.

For Tabi Bonney, peep "Beat Rock" and "Bonnified"... his style is different.

If you're curious about other artists from the "Urea"  :-\  peep this video, which gives a breakdown of every artist from the region
http://www.imeem.com/keystothecity/playlist/HW7MRduI/wale_presents_keys_to_the_city_dc_video_playlist/

PEACE!

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 06:09:24 AM »
Thanx both of you for all the infos  ;)