Author Topic: Buddist thinkers (7even): I want a respectable debate  (Read 542 times)

Australian Bastard

Re: Buddist thinkers (7even): I want a respectable debate
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 09:49:14 PM »

So just as you go to the grocery store and pick out the cereal you like most to spend your limited money on... you also pick out the people that would benefit you most to spend your limited time on.  There is one cereal that you enjoy more than the others and there are some people who you would enjoy more as a friend than the other.  To say they are all the same and that, like a candle, you will not be diminished in the least by wasting your limited time on harmful people, is foolish.

But I guess it's okay, as long as you use wisdom?  Well, why befriend harmful people at all in the first place?  Why even waste your time?  Why waste our time "training" and "converting evil mind" when we could simply let ourselves go and enjoy the company of people we like?

I've given you answers it just requires you to clear your mind of all your assumptions (alot of Zen poetry is simply just about that, having a clear mind) to investigate it afresh.

Nothing the Buddha says is meant to be taken entirely on it's own, its supposed to be considered within a context. You're not supposed to follow one tenet to it's utmost dogmatic end. You're suppose to cultivate the wisdom and peace within yourself so that you may discern for yourself a measurement of right action. 

Buddha said,

"An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind"

and

"Life is suffering'

...And evil and suffering will go on and on (that idea of the world Buddhism does share with Hinduism),

But Buddha also said that;

"Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law."

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little".

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 11:00:11 AM by OVERFIEND »

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
Re: Buddist thinkers (7even): I want a respectable debate
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 11:02:36 AM »
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008