Author Topic: Offical Ice_Cube-Raw_Footage-2008 Discussion Thread  (Read 3405 times)

sav-man

Re: Offical Ice_Cube-Raw_Footage-2008 Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2008, 10:36:31 PM »
Basically, I'm liking it so far...the only songs that really disappointed me were "I Got My Locs On" and "Get Used To It." "Locs" is just too damned simplistic lyrically...it doesn't fit in w/ the rest of the album! Did Cube add that one at the last minute, as a way of having a couple of "fun" songs (along w/ "Do Your Thang") to lighten the issues-oriented stuff? As for "Get Used To It," it's not wack per se, but it just seems like it could have been better considering who's on it.

But the rest of the CD is good-to-great...the beat on "Jack In The Box" sounds out of place w/ the lyrics to me for some reason, but the song is short enough so it's not too much of an annoyance. Lyrically, Cube came w/ it on most of the tracks, especially "Hood Mentality," "Cold Places," "Stand Tall," and "Take Me Away" (to name four). My favorite beat right now is probably the one on "Get Money, Spend Money, No Money"--it's just dark and moody-sounding, and Cube's slower flow just sounds nice w/ it. 

I remember when LAUGH NOW, CRY LATER came out, there were elements of that CD that I couldn't get w/ right away (i.e., the Lil Jon tracks) but that CD's gotten better w/ age to where I now like most of the tracks that I originally didn't, and I imagine that the same will happen w/ RAW FOOTAGE. Just my opinion, though, and everyone's entitled to their's.

PEACE!

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2008, 11:52:40 PM »
I don't know why people are hatin on Do Ya Thang - the beats hot, and its a nice feel-good summer track. Plus it sounds like a good evolution of what the west should be sounding like right now

:eh: please elaborate.

DonCorleone187

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2008, 08:35:17 AM »
music for the mind let it soak in it will grow on you

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2008, 09:03:57 AM »
do ya thang and got my locs on are my jams!!! cranking that shit in the jeep rolling down the street on a sunny day, cant get much better then that!

this cd is straight heat rocks!

Black Gloves

« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2008, 09:09:46 AM »
do ya thang and got my locs on are my jams!!! cranking that shit in the jeep rolling down the street on a sunny day, cant get much better then that!

do u like I Got My Locs On cuz u really enjoy it or just the fact thats its cube so u have to dickride it  ::)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2008, 09:46:19 AM »
Quick little track by track review:

Intro - /
I Got My Locs On 3/5 --> Not a bad track at all but it should've been on Jeezy's album, sounds out of place
It Takes A Nation 4/5 --> Wack chours, dope track though
Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It 5/5 --> Perfect, best single in ages
Hood Mentality 4/5 ---> Lovely production, wack chours again
Why Me 5/5 --> Great production, great subject matter, great chours
Cold Places 3/5 --> Not a bad track, just sounds boring to me, dunno why
Jack In The Box 3,5/5 --> I have this track on repeat but only because the beat is epic, like a mix of Dre and Timbaland. 1st verse was weak, 2nd is dope, 3rd weak again.
Do Ya Thang 3/5 --> Not a bad single, another wack chorus with Cube just repeating the words, not the biggest fan of the beat
Thank God 3/5 ---> Annoying track, other than the nice beat, very generic for Cube's standards. Garbage hook
Here He Come 2/5 ---> Sounds out of place, another awful hook
Get Money, Spend Money 4/5--> Finally something I'd expect from Cube, simillar vibe to G Rap Made Me Do It. Great dark production with Cube doing his thing
Get Used It 3/5 ---> Dissapointment is the best way to describe it. Another wack hook, beat sounds alright, should sound dope in a system. Game's flow is off the hook.
Tommorow 4,5/5 ---> Don't know why but I love this track. From the beat to finally a dope chours and Cube spitting knowledge
Stand Tall 4/5 --> the beat puts me to sleep but other than that a solid track, nice storytelling
Take Me Away 4/5 --> Wtf. garbage hook from Butch, must have been Cube's idea. It's a shame that another track is ruined like that. Good subject matter

Cube is still interesting to liste to, better than the majority of the new rappers. But I don't mean to sound ignorant when I say that his hook game is awful and the production is questionable most of the time.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:49:56 AM by Meho »

sultan

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2008, 10:05:20 AM »
did this album leak on the net then?

Allgold

« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2008, 10:39:19 AM »
No, it didn't.

That being said, (ev'ry one in this thread is from the future poster above me) I really thought that this cd was tight. I didn't care for "Got my Locs On" whatsoever, but after that, the cd really picked up. There was more than one song that I was bobbin' my head to last night.  It's really not that much of a surprise, Cube hasn't came out with a wack cd in his carreer, dude is consistent. Scarface/Cube/Devin(that's right) are three artists that never come wack, and I can rock soooooo many tracks from those three, from years back.

And hey, if The Game would rip that shit like that on every track on a WSC cd, I'm all for it. They ALL tore that shit up.

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2008, 11:37:50 AM »

do u like I Got My Locs On cuz u really enjoy it or just the fact thats its cube so u have to dickride it  ::)

im def not a dickrider, although cube is top 10 easy. ive got the most versitile cd collection youve prolly ever seen, i dont dickride no one.

its got the radio play sound to it, but i find id much rather bang out to I got my locks on rather then all that other bullshit thats gettin played. I can see this song getting heavy rotation on the radio, but this time its a dope artist.

Westdog

« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2008, 03:13:49 PM »
Basically, I'm liking it so far...the only songs that really disappointed me were "I Got My Locs On" and "Get Used To It." "Locs" is just too damned simplistic lyrically...it doesn't fit in w/ the rest of the album! Did Cube add that one at the last minute, as a way of having a couple of "fun" songs (along w/ "Do Your Thang") to lighten the issues-oriented stuff? As for "Get Used To It," it's not wack per se, but it just seems like it could have been better considering who's on it.

But the rest of the CD is good-to-great...the beat on "Jack In The Box" sounds out of place w/ the lyrics to me for some reason, but the song is short enough so it's not too much of an annoyance. Lyrically, Cube came w/ it on most of the tracks, especially "Hood Mentality," "Cold Places," "Stand Tall," and "Take Me Away" (to name four). My favorite beat right now is probably the one on "Get Money, Spend Money, No Money"--it's just dark and moody-sounding, and Cube's slower flow just sounds nice w/ it. 

I remember when LAUGH NOW, CRY LATER came out, there were elements of that CD that I couldn't get w/ right away (i.e., the Lil Jon tracks) but that CD's gotten better w/ age to where I now like most of the tracks that I originally didn't, and I imagine that the same will happen w/ RAW FOOTAGE. Just my opinion, though, and everyone's entitled to their's.

PEACE!

+1
This my town, I run it, you walk it
You just now learnin’ the game, I taught it

dammaged7

• 'G'
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2008, 03:35:18 PM »
2nd time ive heard it now and it is a GOOD ALBUM.
best songs . IT TAKES A NATION, g RAP MADE ME DO IT, HOOD MENTALITY, WHY ME, COLD PLACES, JACK IN THE BOX, DO YOUR THANG. GET MONEY. GET USED TO IT, STAND TALL, TAKE ME AWAY AND TOMORROW.

thats the whole album, except thank god and locs on.

the album goes into some deep shit about the world and how people think and need to change.
top album.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »
yeah its bangin
damn cube bringin heat again

good to see no skits
hate skits
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2008, 05:38:31 PM »
Good to see this thread come back from the 3rd page.  Hope to have more discussion after the album officially drops. 

Westdog

« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2008, 07:57:30 AM »
good album!
This my town, I run it, you walk it
You just now learnin’ the game, I taught it

AnnonymousOne

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2008, 11:11:30 PM »
Anybody notice the advertisments at the back of the CD booklet advertising for K-Dee's "Ass, Gas, & Cash" album and also Kausion's "Los Skanless" album? Is Lench Mob Records going to reissue these?