Author Topic: Offical Ice_Cube-Raw_Footage-2008 Discussion Thread  (Read 3400 times)

sav-man

Re: Offical Ice_Cube-Raw_Footage-2008 Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2008, 11:47:02 PM »
Anybody notice the advertisments at the back of the CD booklet advertising for K-Dee's "Ass, Gas, & Cash" album and also Kausion's "Los Skanless" album? Is Lench Mob Records going to reissue these?

Yup, I sure did notice those ads! I hope they get reissued! I have both on tape, but they're getting worn out. The OG CD releases are a bitch to find (and way expensive)! Both of them are bangin' albums that don't get the props that they deserve! We'll just to have to wait and see, but hope springs eternal!

PEACE!

sav-man

« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2008, 11:56:02 PM »
Basically, I'm liking it so far...the only songs that really disappointed me were "I Got My Locs On" and "Get Used To It." "Locs" is just too damned simplistic lyrically...it doesn't fit in w/ the rest of the album! Did Cube add that one at the last minute, as a way of having a couple of "fun" songs (along w/ "Do Your Thang") to lighten the issues-oriented stuff? As for "Get Used To It," it's not wack per se, but it just seems like it could have been better considering who's on it.

But the rest of the CD is good-to-great...the beat on "Jack In The Box" sounds out of place w/ the lyrics to me for some reason, but the song is short enough so it's not too much of an annoyance. Lyrically, Cube came w/ it on most of the tracks, especially "Hood Mentality," "Cold Places," "Stand Tall," and "Take Me Away" (to name four). My favorite beat right now is probably the one on "Get Money, Spend Money, No Money"--it's just dark and moody-sounding, and Cube's slower flow just sounds nice w/ it. 

I remember when LAUGH NOW, CRY LATER came out, there were elements of that CD that I couldn't get w/ right away (i.e., the Lil Jon tracks) but that CD's gotten better w/ age to where I now like most of the tracks that I originally didn't, and I imagine that the same will happen w/ RAW FOOTAGE. Just my opinion, though, and everyone's entitled to their's.

PEACE!

Just to add to this review that I already did: I bought the Best Buy version w/ the bonus tracks: "Don't Let Me Hurt Your Feelings," Crack Baby?" and the live version of "Why We Thugs" (which features WC). The first two songs are really dope and both have some funny lines. IMHO, if they had been on the official CD instead of "I Got My Locs On" and "Get Used To It," RAW FOOTAGE would be even stronger than it already is, since to me,  "Locs" and "Get Used To It" just don't fit in w/ the rest of the CD's content. But hey--you can't have everything!  ;D The live version of "Why We Thugs" probably isn't essential per se, but it's fun to hear it done live, and since the lyrics were/are pretty issues-oriented to start with, it makes sense for it to be on RAW FOOTAGE, since the CD already has a pretty heavy amount of "issues" content. So it's cool.

PEACE!

dammaged7

• 'G'
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2008, 01:01:15 PM »
can anyone shipt the bestbuy version to the uk

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2008, 02:58:19 PM »
Quick little track by track review:

Intro - /
I Got My Locs On 3/5 --> Not a bad track at all but it should've been on Jeezy's album, sounds out of place
It Takes A Nation 4/5 --> Wack chours, dope track though
Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It 5/5 --> Perfect, best single in ages
Hood Mentality 4/5 ---> Lovely production, wack chours again
Why Me 5/5 --> Great production, great subject matter, great chours
Cold Places 3/5 --> Not a bad track, just sounds boring to me, dunno why
Jack In The Box 3,5/5 --> I have this track on repeat but only because the beat is epic, like a mix of Dre and Timbaland. 1st verse was weak, 2nd is dope, 3rd weak again.
Do Ya Thang 3/5 --> Not a bad single, another wack chorus with Cube just repeating the words, not the biggest fan of the beat
Thank God 3/5 ---> Annoying track, other than the nice beat, very generic for Cube's standards. Garbage hook
Here He Come 2/5 ---> Sounds out of place, another awful hook
Get Money, Spend Money 4/5--> Finally something I'd expect from Cube, simillar vibe to G Rap Made Me Do It. Great dark production with Cube doing his thing
Get Used It 3/5 ---> Dissapointment is the best way to describe it. Another wack hook, beat sounds alright, should sound dope in a system. Game's flow is off the hook.
Tommorow 4,5/5 ---> Don't know why but I love this track. From the beat to finally a dope chours and Cube spitting knowledge
Stand Tall 4/5 --> the beat puts me to sleep but other than that a solid track, nice storytelling
Take Me Away 4/5 --> Wtf. garbage hook from Butch, must have been Cube's idea. It's a shame that another track is ruined like that. Good subject matter

Cube is still interesting to liste to, better than the majority of the new rappers. But I don't mean to sound ignorant when I say that his hook game is awful and the production is questionable most of the time.

I don't understand how you can rate song with 3/5 or soemthing and then write things like "garbage hook" or "annoying beat" right after. if it's annoying it's no 3/5  ???

Anyway:
I really like the album. It's an ode to gangsta rap. It has hard and bangin beats, an Ice Cube with anger in his stomache and it sounds very elaborate. Plus I love the fact that he put this guy on his album who also did the intro for WSC. The Intro on here is just amazing and then the first track starts, I was kinda overwhelmed.
The best track to me is "Stand Tall", that's what I would call G-Funk in 2008  :o
Very dope beat, super-tight synth and just a classic sample.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

dammaged7

• 'G'
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2008, 03:01:39 PM »
i love dont make me hurt your feelings!!!!!!! what a beat.

i cant crack baby and this never made the rela album

believe it or nor is awesome, to got a real predator feel to it

Westdog

« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2008, 04:26:45 PM »
Left ov. r bomb - dont_make_me_hurt_ya_feelings!
This my town, I run it, you walk it
You just now learnin’ the game, I taught it

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2008, 05:22:14 PM »
It's a damn shame when this thread gets so few responses/views compared to LAX's.

Westdog

« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2008, 05:39:55 PM »
It's a damn shame when this thread gets so few responses/views compared to LAX's.

The Game is more mainstream now. Cube's album is good, reminded me Lethal Injection.But the Game has more better producers
This my town, I run it, you walk it
You just now learnin’ the game, I taught it

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2008, 06:22:38 PM »
Cub latest Cd is Nice!!
I just wised he worked more with Hallways Productions!..but it's a nice album!
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2008, 12:53:49 AM »

that's because Game is the new messiah

WestCoasta

« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2008, 01:12:58 AM »
the whole album is good, here are my favorites

Take Me Away
Do Ya Thang
Hood Mentality
Crack Baby
Thank God
Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It

Got My Locs On   <----- what the fuck is this?  Jeezy is god awful, who likes this guy?
Here He Come

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2008, 09:38:27 AM »

I know that's where I get my spiritual guidance from.

Lunatic

« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2008, 09:39:38 AM »
I wouldn't say this is getting few views/replies, it's doing very well.

I hope everyone copped that new album; the south nor east would lever let Scarface/Nas flop, so the west better be the same for Cube.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2008, 09:52:47 AM »
I wouldn't say this is getting few views/replies, it's doing very well.

I hope everyone copped that new album; the south nor east would lever let Scarface/Nas flop, so the west better be the same for Cube.

Compared to LAX's thread it has.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2008, 09:54:21 AM »

I know that's where I get my spiritual guidance from.

:laugh: