Author Topic: Dr. Dre interview in Vibe  (Read 1625 times)

MisterX

• 'G'
Dr. Dre interview in Vibe
« on: August 15, 2008, 01:44:03 PM »
Producer is an inadequate label for Andre “Dr. Dre” Young. In addition to personally changing hip-hop’s sound at least three time, first with N.W.A, then with his solo debut, The Chronic (Deathrow/Interscope, 1992), and then again with [Chronic 2001] (Aftermath/Interscope, 1999), he’s also shepherded three of rap’s biggest stars, ever- Snoop Dogg, Eminem, and 50 Cent- to pop superstardom. While Dr. Dre, 43, is a cultural force and a kingmaker, in his heart, he’s still a producer; from the fury of N.W.A’s 1988 “—- tha Police,” to the serpentine funk of his 1992 “Nuthin’ But a ‘G’ Thang,” to the tongue-in-cheek charm of Eminem’s 1999 “My Name Is” and the irresistible bump of 50 Cent’s 2003 “In da Club,” his music defines at least one, if not two generations. In July, Dre check in from– where else?– the studio, where he’s currently “three-fourths the way done” with his long, long-awaited Detox.

What were you doing in 1993?

Dr. Dre: Working on Snoop’s introduction album, Doggystyle.

You’ve had many hits, but you’ve also made stars of other artists. Luck, or labor?

The luck comes in by just meeting these people. These guys are talented as shit. They make me look good, you know what I mean? Once the luck passes, the labor comes in– and it’s definitely a lot of work.

Producing music, developing talent– do you draw on the same skill set?

It’s different. The music doesn’t talk back [laughs].

What’s the key to your track record?

I don’t take any shorts. I don’t say, “Okay, it’s good enough.” I try to get exactly what I’m hearing in my head to the tape, and I won’t let it move until then. In my opinion, some of the hip-hop records that come out, people are willing to compromise. I’m not.

Nineteen ninety-three was also the year after The Chronic. Did you anticipate the overwhelming response?

To be perfectly honest, I wasn’t sure. Before I got with Interscope, I recorded the entire album, artwork and everything and went into almost every label, and everybody was slamming doors on my, talking about, “This isn’t hip-hop; you’re using live instruments.” It had me second-guessing myself. I remember being on my balcony with Nate Dogg, listening to my record like, Is this shit good or not? I had no idea it would do what it did.

Do you see that as your defining effort?

I don’t feel like I’ve made my best record yet. The Marshall Mathers LP got the closest, but I don’t feel like I’ve hit that thing just 100 percent perfect, from the first note to the last note. I always use Quincy Jones as an example– he didn’t make his biggest record until he was 50 and he started when he was 14. So I feel like I have a lot of room to get that thing done.

Is “100 percent” achievable?

I’m not sure. But it’s definitely going to be a fun ride trying.

http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=23851

Also, the interviewer made a post on another web site and said that Dre said the Grow up song was a mistake and shouldn't have leaked.

"I interviewed him - briefly - today for this Vibe piece and in ending with the standard "so what are you up to now?" he mentioned he was 3/4ths the way through Detox (hey - his words, not mine) and I brought up the Bishop Lamont song and he told me, "yeah, that wasn't supposed to leak" and called it a "mistake" which I thought meant "the song just wasn't where it needed to be." So if people think it's weak, it sounds like D.R.E. would agree."

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/printthread.php?Cat=0&Board=crates&main=1141893&type=thread

Jimmy H.

Re: Dr. Dre interview in Vibe
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 02:08:43 PM »
So if people think it's weak, it sounds like D.R.E. would agree."
It doesn't sound that way to me. Dre is notorious for picking his singles carefully and not wanting to put stuff out when it isn't ready. It sounds like he just wasn't happy with it being the first single.

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 02:21:48 PM »
Bishop's gonna get dropped. :laugh:

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 04:10:40 PM »
So if people think it's weak, it sounds like D.R.E. would agree."
It doesn't sound that way to me. Dre is notorious for picking his singles carefully and not wanting to put stuff out when it isn't ready. It sounds like he just wasn't happy with it being the first single.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH, fukk ALL you haters out there that shitted on me when I said Grow Up was weak as fukks, and now Dre himself is agreeing with me
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »
not quite

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 04:16:31 PM »
not quite

quite so, Dre realized that the track was severely underwhelming which is why the track has got ZERO buzz outside cali, and I don't think it's much buzz in cali either
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:22:43 PM »
Yah Grow Up was weak as fuck, the beat was ight, nothing special, really weak for Dre, that was a pathetic record right there, got hella let down!!!

Matty

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 05:02:14 PM »
another person on that forum says that detox is supposed to sound way better than 'grow up' and that grow up sounds like a 2-3 year old focus beat in comparison. i hope thats about right, cause it was nothing special imo. but bishop says it was more of a detox track from the beat and isn't there supposed to be a video for it dropping? something don't add up. either bishop is hyping himself up and there's a possibility that he could be dropped or if what dre says about the track is actually what dre said - he's trying to make it seem like it wasn't finished etc cause the reaction wasn't that great...

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 05:07:05 PM »
How reliable is the poster on that forum though ? Dre doesn't let songs leak just like that...

MisterX

• 'G'
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »
How reliable is the poster on that forum though ? Dre doesn't let songs leak just like that...

Well he made the post over a month ago and the Vibe interview just barely came out.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 06:26:50 PM »
hmmm...interesting....
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

dameons

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 09:56:12 PM »
Thanks , G

Hittman2001

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 09:58:47 PM »
looks like detox might be coming first   :)

blunts40sbitches

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • The Realness
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 10:09:02 PM »
Grow up is sick as fuck.....very unique, perfect kinda song for a dude like Bishop......I think all he meant was it was leaked too early.....but thats a great song, Dre's a fool if he thinks differently

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 12:33:53 AM »
looks like detox might be coming first   :)

Detox will come first, there's no question about that as far as i'm concerned