Author Topic: Dubcnn Album Review: Ice Cube Raw Footage!  (Read 1541 times)

smegma

Re: Dubcnn Album Review: Ice Cube Raw Footage!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 04:33:51 AM »
I don't agree with the review. The album sucks donkey balls. It's Ice Cube's worst record by far.

wcsoldier

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 04:41:10 AM »
I wonder if I heard the same album ... to each his own but to say it's one of the Cube finest effort whereas the album is VERY average is something weird imo ... same thing with Game album ...

smegma

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 04:57:24 AM »
I wonder if I heard the same album ...

I think Jonathan promised someone to write a favorable review :P

Ice Cube, the Grand Wizard of Gangsta Rap, fires his lyrical passion on the stellar "Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It" -- backed with a catchy melodic piano loop -- as Cube drops heat,

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 03:28:09 PM »
Alright.  Imma say a few words about Raw Footage.

1. What is a Pyroclastic Flow?
-cool little introduction with the voice-over by Keith David and score by John Murphy who also did Janky Promoters film score.  Has a nice cinematic feel to it sort of like the War disc.  Rating N/A

2.I Got My Locs On
-not a good start to the album and an unusual collaboration that doesn't work too well  :-X Just because you make a film together doesn't mean it's indespensible to record together.  Beat isn't bad but has a southern feel to it-sounds better in a nice system or car.  Lyrics are alright at best and Jeezy is terrible on this  :-[ Rating 2.75/5

3.It Takes a Nation
-should have been the album's 1st song to start off with a bang.  Dope lyrics with "aggression that's depressin."  Love the line "you muthafuckas programmed by the programmers, that's why you gettin' locked up by the door slammers.  Not me." Rating 4/5

4.Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It-easily one of the best songs on the album and the accompanying video certainly doesn't hurt.  "Y'all spit saliva and I spit lava."  Rating 5/5

5.Hood Mentality
-excellent introduction by Keith David with John Murphy's intro music.  Another heater and a sarcastic look at those who maintain a Hood Mentality are only sustaining exactly what the prison industry and those who gain from it want.  One of my favs from the record.  Angie Stone adds a little flare to the hook.  Didn't expect to see her name in the credits.  Rating 5/5

6.Why Me?
-featuring Musiq Soulchild who is a great and unexpected addition to the track.  Hallway Productionz drop another heater and Cube drops some pertinent rhymes about a victim of a random shooting.  There will be a video for this and rightfully so.  Another slapper.  Rating 5/5

7.Cold Places
-the production isn't quite as good as the last 2 Hallway joints but Cube spits some tight raps over the track regardless.  "A lunatic is in the White House, make me wanna go do a lick right now."  That's what I'm talking about, Cube.  Rating 4/5

8.Jack N The Box
-Keith David intro and The Bizness production.  Has cinematic feel to it-sonically enhanced.  The 2nd verse is superior to the others with Cube rappin', "Don't catch a case cause these people got a place to throw your life away..."  Did I mention I love the piano/keyboard on this one  :) Subtle but efficient. Rating 3.5/5

9.Do Ya Thang
- I like the idea of Do Ya Thang and yelling fuck what they lookin' at but the lyrics could have been rewritten to fit the hook.  Instead we get music for the booty instead of the brain.  Aside from that the track bangs in the ride.  Rating 3.5/5

10.Thank God
-love the intro and the hook sung by Traci Nelson and Barbara Wilson (west coast background staples). Hallway dropped another banger.  Lyrics are full of bravado but it works for the most part.  Love Cube on the uptempo tracks where he gets to resort to his older flow (somewhat). Rating 3.5/5

11.Here He Come
-one of the worst songs on the album.  It's gritty and grimey but that doesn't translate into a hit.  Is Doughboy really Cube's kid cause the credits say otherwise it appears.  It's also another attempt to cater to the south and west coast fans simultaneously (see track 2).  Rating 2.75/5

12.Get Money...
-shit is off the hook w/Emile behind the boards.  Has a menacing, yet laid back feel to it.  Reminds me of Down For Whatever a little bit.  Relevant lyrics once again from Cube: "You always talking bout a fuckin' car or truck, you always talkin' bout some fuckin' rims or interior, that kinda shit we'll keep our ass inferior."  Rating 4.5/5

13.Get Use To It
-big disappointment IMO.  Cube came off the worst on this.  Seems like he was just rhyming random words that have been used repeatedly by the entire hip hop community.  I actually like the beat a little more so now than previously but the hook is just dull and useless.  WC came hard on this and Game also did his thing although it's more of the same ol same ol lyrics.  Rating 3.25/5

14.Tomorrow
-Warren Campbell on the boards and deservedly so.  Where's "Raised In the Hood?" Love the track and the messages expressed within it.  The hook is addicting also.  One of my favs quotes: "Tomorrow, that shit'll never come, I know it sounds strange but today is never done."  See  Alan Watts  ;) Rating 4.5/5

15.Stand Tall
-excellent song produced by Crazy Toones and Dizmix.  Dope message and sample and the kind of track Cube is excellent at creating/writing.  C Toones should have produced more than 1 track that's all I know.  William Devaughan sample is a straight up hit.  If you don't have the original go ahead and add it to your musical lexicon.  Rating 5/5

16.Take Me Away
-great way to end the album with a small cameo from Butch Cassidy that is impressive anyway and catchy production by some new heads Fokus and Cas.  1st time I heard this I was expecting Butch to sing "Take me away from these people, take me from this evil"..but oh well the song is great.  America eats its youth like reptiles.  Rating 5/5

Overall rating: approximately 4/5

Not bad what so ever from the 39 year old.  It seems the direction of this album changed a bit along the way but if Cube is spending his own money on the creation/promotion/marketing/mixing/etc. than I guess it's up to the Boy N The Hood to release what he wants.  I can't say that I'm not a little disappointed with him because of some of Cube's statements leading up to the record but drop those notions and the album is really good.  I hope he decides to release another one.  Take Me Away from these people...

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 09:50:39 PM »

^^^ Nice review Laconic,altough I think you´re too kind at times  :laugh: ;).... but then again I´m hard cat to please  :P :laugh: ^^^

Too kind? Example?  Perhaps you're right-an old man like me will understand. 

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 12:26:39 AM »
props Jonathan & Laconic for the reviews  :)

Not bad what so ever from the 39 year old.  It seems the direction of this album changed a bit along the way but if Cube is spending his own money on the creation/promotion/marketing/mixing/etc. than I guess it's up to the Boy N The Hood to release what he wants.  I can't say that I'm not a little disappointed with him because of some of Cube's statements leading up to the record but drop those notions and the album is really good.  I hope he decides to release another one.  Take Me Away from these people...

holy shit, so you think it's close to a personal classic?  :o
oh well, to each his own i guess
  ;)

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 10:04:29 AM »

^^^ Nice review Laconic,altough I think you're too kind at times  :laugh: ;).... but then again I'm hard cat to please  :P :laugh: ^^^

5/5 equals classic right(?) The only instant classic as far as I go is "Gangster Rap Made Me Do it"... 5/5
It's too early too call what other tracks will go down as classics,time will tell....
Just for the sake of this thread a repost my Raw Footage review again;

I hate;
2. got my locs on ft. jeezy -  :-X
5. hood mentality -  :-X
8. jack in the box -  :-X
9. do ya thang -  :-X
11. here he come -  :-X
13. get use 2 it -  :-X

I love;
3. it takes a nation Dope 4 out of 5
4. g-rap made me do it - Instant CLASSIC! 5 out of 5
6. why me - Cool. 3.5 out of 5
7. cold places - Nice. 3.5 out of 5
10. thank god  Dope. 4 out of 5
12. get money, spend money, no money - Tight dark piano beat. 4.5 out of 5
14. tomorrow - Love the hook... 4 out of 5
15. stand tall - Cool. 3.5 out 5
16. take me away - grower... 3.5 out of 5

Overall conclusion;
When trimming it down to the 9 tracks I like,it sounds pretty tight.
But sadly there's 6 tracks that my ear can't stand  :-\ :P
So my overall rating ends at;
3 out of 5

I didn't give those tracks 5/5 because I think they are certified classics (I hate that term BTW  ;)a la Paris' Bush Killa.  I gave them 5/5 in the context of this album.  The best tracks received 5 and lowest 2 something.  Have you had an opportunity to listen to this in a nice, clean system?  Cause that's what jacked up some of the ratings for me.  The album is really mixed well and Cube sounds much better when the clarity is conspicuous.  Just a thought for the next time you listen  ;)

props Jonathan & Laconic for the reviews  :)

holy shit, so you think it's close to a personal classic?  :o
oh well, to each his own i guess
  ;)

Personal classic?  Only time will tell but right now it received an 4/5 or 80% or B- etc.  I think a lot of people are going to go back to this album after not listening to it for a while and find something in it they didn't the 1st time.  If not that's cool too though.  Like you said-to each his or her own  ;)

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 10:51:19 AM »

^^^ Nice review Laconic,altough I think you're too kind at times  :laugh: ;).... but then again I'm hard cat to please  :P :laugh: ^^^

5/5 equals classic right(?) The only instant classic as far as I go is "Gangster Rap Made Me Do it"... 5/5
It's too early too call what other tracks will go down as classics,time will tell....

I hate;

I love;

Overall conclusion;
3 out of 5

I didn't give those tracks 5/5 because I think they are certified classics (I hate that term BTW  ;)a la Paris' Bush Killa.
I gave them 5/5 in the context of this album.  The best tracks received 5 and lowest 2 something.

I see... there´s no written rules on how to rate albums so it´s all good  ;)
But now it now it makes more sense  ;)
I rate tracks/albums up against every Hip Hop tracks/albums out there.

Have you had an opportunity to listen to this in a nice, clean system?
Cause that's what jacked up some of the ratings for me.
The album is really mixed well and Cube sounds much better when the clarity is conspicuous.  Just a thought for the next time you listen  ;)

No.... will have that in mind next time. I added two of the bonus tracks to rotation (Believe It Or Not and Crack Baby?).
That means 11 tracks out of 18,that ain´t bad is it?  ;)

I think it becomes difficult to rate tracks and albums of today to the ones of say 90-91.  To me it's almost impossible to do so in a fair and legitimate manner especially with the increasing technology available but I understand where your coming from also.  I think LP's would be the best way to go in terms of that fairness doctrine.

Believe It or Not and Crack Baby? are pretty good as well and I like the Why We Thugs live version because of its rawness (voice, sound).  Do you have a version of Believe It or Not that isn't cut off?  If so can you holler at me?

So yes, 11 out of 18 ain't too bad in today's world of rap releases  ;)

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 11:43:43 AM »

[/quote]

-Since you brought up technology,do you mean/believe that albums sounds better today than back then?
I can't help it to compare todays music up against all the certified classics.
It's like we make up an excuse... "ohh it's better than all the other crap that comes out". I wont be hypocrite,I do that too at times  :-\ :P :laugh:.....
But there's still top quality shit coming out.... the last one that comes to mind is Young Maylays´s; The Real Coast Guard (my review).
So I ain't on that; "all the new shit sucks" tip....  ;)

-My version of Believe It or Not is 3:11 is that right?
-I didn't check "Why We Thugs live version"... I figured it was just another live version. Will check it later.  ;)

[/quote]

I think, as far as technology is concerned, it's a double-edged sword.  Sometimes the quality of digital tech has its advantages and other times not but I guess it depends on the listener.  And it's hard not to compare albums of today to those of yesterday because it's just natural for most people to do that-me included.  There should be a standard set and most, if not all artists, should try to re-create that bar that was set by the forefathers of the genre.  But what percent of artists actually drop better product the 2nd go around(sophomore effort)?  Not many.  There are far too many variables in the way.  But right now, as you know, the game is just flooded with crap and not a lot of art so it's easy to say "well it's better than all the shit that's coming out now anyway."  So there is some truth to that if one only looks in certain places for talent and timeless music.  That's why I love Khayree because I will be listening to his stuff 20 years from now. As far as Maylay is concerned it's a hot mixtape but to me it's not timeless music-it's just something that somewhat stands out for the time being IMO. 

Sorry for the explanation which I'm sure you're well aware of but it's just my opinion  ;)

The Beleive It or Not track I have cuts off before the 3 minute mark  ???

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »

I hate;

I love;

Overall conclusion;
3 out of 5

I didn't give those tracks 5/5 because I think they are certified classics (I hate that term BTW  ;)a la Paris' Bush Killa.
I gave them 5/5 in the context of this album.  The best tracks received 5 and lowest 2 something.

I see... there's no written rules on how to rate albums so it's all good  ;)
But now it now it makes more sense  ;)
I rate tracks/albums up against every Hip Hop tracks/albums out there.

Have you had an opportunity to listen to this in a nice, clean system?
Cause that's what jacked up some of the ratings for me.
The album is really mixed well and Cube sounds much better when the clarity is conspicuous.  Just a thought for the next time you listen  ;)

No.... will have that in mind next time. I added two of the bonus tracks to rotation (Believe It Or Not and Crack Baby?).
That means 11 tracks out of 18,that ain't bad is it?  ;)

I think it becomes difficult to rate tracks and albums of today to the ones of say 90-91.
To me it's almost impossible to do so in a fair and legitimate manner especially with the
increasing technology available but I understand where your coming from also.
I think LP's would be the best way to go in terms of that fairness doctrine.

Believe It or Not and Crack Baby? are pretty good as well and I like the Why We Thugs live version because of its rawness (voice, sound).
Do you have a version of Believe It or Not that isn't cut off?  If so can you holler at me?

So yes, 11 out of 18 ain't too bad in today's world of rap releases  ;)

-Since you brought up technology,do you mean/believe that albums sounds better today than back then?
It's like we make up an excuse... "ohh it's better than all the other crap that comes out". I wont be hypocrite,I do that too at times  :-\ :P :laugh:.....
But there's still top quality shit coming out.... the last one that comes to mind is Young Maylays´s; The Real Coast Guard (my review).

-I didn't check "Why We Thugs live version"... I figured it was just another live version. Will check it later.  ;)

i try to rate the music for what it is

Chad Vader

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 09:28:16 AM »

I think, as far as technology is concerned, it's a double-edged sword.
Sometimes the quality of digital tech has its advantages and other times not but I guess it depends on the listener.
And it's hard not to compare albums of today to those of yesterday because it's just natural for most people to do that-me included.
There should be a standard set and most, if not all artists, should try to recreate that bar that was set by the forefathers of the genre.
But what percent of artists actually drop better product the 2nd go around(sophomore effort)?  Not many. There are far too many variables in the way.

Better product the 2nd time around or just as good;?
Ice Cube; Death Certificate
NWA; Niggaz4Life
Dr.Dre; Chronic 2001
BDP; By Any Means Necessary
Ultramagnetic MC´s; Funk Your Head Up
EPMD; Unfinished Business
Run DMC; King of Rock

and then you have artists that made their best a little later;
Scarface; The Diary (third album)
Too Short; Get In Where You Fit In and Cocktales (8th and 9th album)

But there ain't many "these days".... I give you that.  ;)

But right now, as you know, the game is just flooded with crap and not a lot of art so it's easy to say
"well it's better than all the shit that's coming out now anyway." 
So there is some truth to that if one only looks in certain places for talent and timeless music.
That's why I love Khayree because I will be listening to his stuff 20 years from now.
As far as Maylay is concerned it's a hot mixtape but to me it's not timeless music-it's just something that somewhat stands out for the time being IMO. 

Sorry for the explanation which I'm sure you're well aware of but it's just my opinion  ;)

I do check for most shit... and just filter out what I like or not.  ;)
As far as Maylay´s; The Real Coast Guard becoming a timeless classic is hard to tell.... for now it's just really dope.
I played it for a couple of friends and they was all like; "What's this? This is dope..."
When it comes to Khayree,there's no doubt that he makes quality music... that I really love.
I'm trying to get Dre-Day hooked on Khayree.. but with no luck so far  :-\.
So I guess we're alone  :P :-\

The Believe It or Not track I have cuts off before the 3 minute mark  ???

Want mine then?  ;)

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 09:49:43 AM »
^I ended up getting the full version of Believe It or Not.  Thanks anyway, man.

So Dre ain't feeling Khayree at all?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 10:06:57 AM »

well i checked out some of the stuff that Chad recommended to me, and i just didn't get blown away like you guys were  ;)
then again, there's so much of Khayree's work that i haven't heard yet so who knows  ;)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 10:20:43 AM »

well i checked out some of the stuff that Chad recommended to me,
and i just didn't get blown away like you guys were  ;)
then again, there's so much of Khayree's work that i haven't heard yet so who knows  ;)

What about Mac Mall?
You ain't feeling?
14 Illegal Business?
1 When They Come For Me
7 Keys 2 The City
8 With Me Or Against Me

Those tracks should be right up your alley or?

i still need to check those  ;)

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 10:30:02 AM »
Dre, have you heard any of the Khayree instrumentals yet?