Author Topic: The Game - L.A.X.  (Read 947 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The Game - L.A.X.
« on: August 23, 2008, 03:25:09 PM »
01. Intro - Don't rate intro's

02. L.A.X. Files 5/5 ---> Great opening track. J.R. drops a lovely piano loop and adds bunch of little elements to the beat (the guitar in the 2nd verse is the shit). Game's flow and delivery are off the chain. Nothing special lyrically or subject matter wise but Game just straight spitting. Loved the last line " Look what the bloods did to Weezy, look what the crips did to Jeezy, this gangbanging shit ain't nothing to play with, me and Snoop Dogg just made it look easy..."

03. State Of Emergency 5/5 ---> J.R. bringing the heat yet again. Beat wise it sounds like California Vacation part 2 but the production is better on this one IMO. Same as on track 2, another killer flow and delivery from Game that covers up for some poor lyricism. The chours is the shit, one of the best from Game since the departure from 50. Oh and I don't know what you call that sound effect that starts at 0:34 in a correct english term but in a good system it will blow up your speakers. "California ain't state it's an army!"

04. Bulletproof Diaries 4.5/5 ---> And the great ride continues. I'm not a fan of Jelly Roll beats at all but this one is a monster. Rae and Game go back and forth like they've been doing it for ages, you can tell they were in the studio together.

05. My Life 4,5/5 ---> The production is great, nice dark piano and the hook from Weezy really grew on me (desšite being recycled and auto-tune). The only complaint is Game himself, who drops waaaaaay too many random names on a track that is suppose to be about his life. If anybody wants to know how it should sound like, check Chamillionares version.

06. Money 4/5 ---> This sounds too much like a Down South record from somebody like Rick Ross. Played out subject matter, nevertheless still enjoable track. BTW I think that with some Dre mixing this beat would be 10x better, that piano loop is way too low/silent. Dope sample though.

07. Cali Sunshine 4,5/5 ---> Was dissapointed with the Nottz beat at first but it grew on me like crazy. Game once again rides the beat perfect, with switching up to a more laid back flow and the hook from Bilal is perfect. He should shoot a dope summertime video for this, just riding through Cali. The ending is crazy "That's 10 funerals, 10 caskets, 10 three piece Ralf Lauren suits, 10 motorbikes stopping traffic and 10 reasons why I got California hotter than acid, don't you ever leave me out of your top 10 list, you fucking bastards!" A lil bit too much name dropping to give it a 5/5

08. Ya Heard 3/5 ---> Dissapoint beat from Nottz, on some Nintendo shit. Game is also very poor on this one, Luda killed it though.

09. Hard Liquor (Interlude)

10. House Of Pain 3/5 --> Didn't like this track at first at all because it sounded out of place, just like Scream On Em' from DA. Well both track grew on me eventually. It could've been done without jacking Dre's flow/voice in the chours. Game killed the verses though.

11. Gentleman's Affair 3/5 ---> Not bad for a chick track, the simple, yet effectibe beat and Ne-Yo's voice bring a certain mature vibe to the song. The 1st verse from Game is awful  :-X

12. Let Us Live 2/5 ---> I was really anticipating this, hey, it's Scott Storch and Game. And what do I get ? A beat that sounds like it was made in 98 and Game jacking Nas's flow. This track is a joke to me, he should've put it on a mixtape like Chamillionare does and not on a fucking LP.

13. Touchdown 2/5 ---> Awful. Just horrible. Wack production, wack verses, annoying flow, the hook is the only highlight.

14. Angel 5/5 ----> Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about! I wasn't a big fan of the previous 2 Kanye/Game collabos but this one is pure magic. Game stepping out of the box on this one. Both Common and Game killed it, the flow they used was perfect for the beat. Best Kanye beat in ages, reminds me of the old Kanye that used a soulful sound and not that Graduation tehcno bullshit. And let's not forget about the hook, I get chills everytime I hear it.

15. Never Can Say Goodbye 4,5/5 ---> Another creative concept from Game. Some great storytelling when doing all 3 rappers. Why am I not giving this a 5/5 ? Well, for one thing, I don't understand why he didn't completley copy their flows/voices on this track, which would make perfect sense, like he did with Nas on Let Us Live. 2nd thing is the hook, just repeating one bar, should've come up with something more creative. And the 3rd reason is that I've heard Royce Da 5'9's version before this and it's better.

16. Dope Boys 4/5 ---> Very energetic track right here, with some help from Travis Baker on the drums. The beat bangs hard, it's just that Game obviously dumbed down his flow, taking these 2 seconds pause every few bars, just like on Big Dreams. And it has some very cheesy punchlines/poor lyrics.

17. Game's Pain (feat. Keyshia Cole) 4,5/5 ---> Great choice for a 1st single, something different. Game once again switched his flow, to a more laid back one but it's still sharp and fast unlike on Dope Boys. Only complaint is that the beat is a lil repetitive and the hook from Keyshia could've been better and shorther.

18. Letter To The King 4,99/5 ---> As usual for Game's albums, it ends with a bang. Another more emotinal and out of the box track. Nas and Game obviously have great chemistry, both killed it, especially Game's last verse is very impressive. I'm giving it a 4,99 only because the beat from Hi-Tek is a lil bit boring, Ole English was much better.

19. Outro /

So, what's left to say ? Game is definetly top 5 mainstream rappers right now. He's not a great MC or anything, his subject matter is predictable for most of the time but his great flow and delivery make up for all of that AND he knows how to make an album, that can be played from top to bottom (he'll be a great executive producer one day). At first I thought this album was all over the place but it takes some time to play it, to see that it flows nicely. But still it doesn't have that cohesive vibe that Doc and DA had, the production is not as good as on the other 2 and it doesn't have that many "omg!" tracks. Which brings me to comparing Game's discography:

The Documentary -- 4,75
DA - 4,5
L.A.X. - 4,25

I took 3 factors when grading them: a) Replay value (both 3 have them), b) Tracks I skip (Doc had "Don't Worry", DA had "Bang" and "Around The Word" and L.A.X. has "Ya Heard", "Let Us Live" and "Touchdown" + the unnecessary intro, outro and interlude) c) Overallvibe (Doc>> Da>> L.A.X.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:33:15 PM by Meho »

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Game - L.A.X.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:00:50 PM »
Very good review, I agree with you almost on all tracks except 'Let Us Live', for me that's like 4/5. But props for a good review.

Tha Magus

• 'G'
  • KILLAFORNIA BABY!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 01:39:13 PM »
Why is DMX skipped he should at least be mentioned.
www.ThaWasteland.com Tha Magus Team Leader for Bone Thugs N Harmony #1 community site

By Magus7

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 08:59:48 PM »
i think you are ebing way generous, me and you usualy agree on most things.

WestCoasta

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 06:37:49 PM »
02. L.A.X. Files 5/5 ---> Great opening track. J.R. drops a lovely piano loop and adds bunch of little elements to the beat (the guitar in the 2nd verse is the shit). Game's flow and delivery are off the chain. Nothing special lyrically or subject matter wise but Game just straight spitting.

03. State Of Emergency 5/5 ---> J.R. bringing the heat yet again. Beat wise it sounds like California Vacation part 2 but the production is better on this one IMO. Same as on track 2, another killer flow and delivery from Game

04. Bulletproof Diaries 5/5 ---> And the great ride continues. I'm not a fan of Jelly Roll beats at all but this one is a monster. Rae and Game go back and forth like they've been doing it for ages, you can tell they were in the studio together.

05. My Life 4,5/5 ---> The production is great, nice dark piano and the hook from Weezy really grew on me (desšite being recycled and auto-tune). The only complaint is Game himself, who drops waaaaaay too many random names on a track that is suppose to be about his life. If anybody wants to know how it should sound like, check Chamillionares version.

06. Money 4/5 ---> This sounds too much like a Down South record from somebody like Rick Ross. Played out subject matter, nevertheless still enjoable track. BTW I think that with some Dre mixing this beat would be 10x better, that piano loop is way too low/silent. Dope sample though.

I agree with all that...

07. Cali Sunshine 4,5/5 ---> Was dissapointed with the Nottz beat at first but it grew on me like crazy. Game once again rides the beat perfect, with switching up to a more laid back flow and the hook from Bilal is perfect. He should shoot a dope summertime video for this, just riding through Cali. The ending is crazy "That's 10 funerals, 10 caskets, 10 three piece Ralf Lauren suits, 10 motorbikes stopping traffic and 10 reasons why I got California hotter than acid, don't you ever leave me out of your top 10 list, you fucking bastards!" A lil bit too much name dropping to give it a 5/5

this one here is terrible... Nottz who usually comes correct comes with a dud
Game sucks with his raps (what you quoted was cool but the rest, ya know)
and they must have seen how fast they could put together a hook
couldn't get into this whatsoever

08. Ya Heard 3/5 ---> Dissapoint beat from Nottz, on some Nintendo shit. Game is also very poor on this one, Luda killed it though.

I actually like this beat and the little hook, Luda did handle it, but Game was a piece of shit, nice way to start off his 2nd verse... :P

10. House Of Pain 4/5 --> Didn't like this track at first at all because it sounded out of place, just like Scream On Em' from DA. Well both track grew on me eventually. It could've been done without jacking Dre's flow/voice in the chours. Game killed the verses though.

this beat is so god damn boring/annoying/repetitive I can't listen past the first verse
can't believe they gave this DJ Toomp guy money for this trash, possibly the worst on the album

11. Gentleman's Affair 3/5 ---> Not bad for a chick track, the simple, yet effectibe beat and Ne-Yo's voice bring a certain mature vibe to the song. The 1st verse from Game is awful  :-X

12. Let Us Live 2/5 ---> I was really anticipating this, hey, it's Scott Storch and Game. And what do I get ? A beat that sounds like it was made in 98 and Game jacking Nas's flow. This track is a joke to me, he should've put it on a mixtape like Chamillionare does and not on a fucking LP.

I agree with this, these probably won't be played by me ever again

13. Touchdown 2/5 ---> Awful. Just horrible. Wack production, wack verses, annoying flow, the hook is the only highlight.

agreed, but the hook sucks too

14. Angel 5/5 ----> Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about! I wasn't a big fan of the previous 2 Kanye/Game collabos but this one is pure magic. Game stepping out of the box on this one. Both Common and Game killed it, the flow they used was perfect for the beat. Best Kanye beat in ages, reminds me of the old Kanye that used a soulful sound and not that Graduation tehcno bullshit. And let's not forget about the hook, I get chills everytime I hear it.

again I agree, did not like the previous 2 Kanye ones either, this blows them away

15. Never Can Say Goodbye 4,5/5 ---> Another creative concept from Game. Some great storytelling when doing all 3 rappers. Why am I not giving this a 5/5 ? Well, for one thing, I don't understand why he didn't completley copy their flows/voices on this track, which would make perfect sense, like he did with Nas on Let Us Live. 2nd thing is the hook, just repeating one bar, should've come up with something more creative. And the 3rd reason is that I've heard Royce Da 5'9's version before this and it's better.

the only thing I liked was the beat
the concept was kinda gay, it's better to just leave that stuff alone, it's not really that creative
if he would have rapped about something else with this beat it would have been 10x better

16. Dope Boys 4/5 ---> Very energetic track right here, with some help from Travis Baker on the drums. The beat bangs hard, it's just that Game obviously dumbed down his flow, taking these 2 seconds pause every few bars, just like on Big Dreams. And it has some very cheesy punchlines/poor lyrics.

the fact they mention Travis Barker brings a gay little twist to this song but I have to admit that I enjoy it
that's a sick beat
all in her stomach and just UGGGGGGH

17. Game's Pain (feat. Keyshia Cole) 4,5/5 ---> Great choice for a 1st single, something different. Game once again switched his flow, to a more laid back one but it's still sharp and fast unlike on Dope Boys. Only complaint is that the beat is a lil repetitive and the hook from Keyshia could've been better and shorther.

I like it, no complaints

18. Letter To The King 4,99/5 ---> As usual for Game's albums, it ends with a bang. Another more emotinal and out of the box track. Nas and Game obviously have great chemistry, both killed it, especially Game's last verse is very impressive. I'm giving it a 4,99 only because the beat from Hi-Tek is a lil bit boring, Ole English was much better.

I agree with everything but the beat being boring... one of Hi-Tek's best I think
it's just as good as Ole English, kinda like a Part 2 (the drums and bass sound similar)
if you listen to it with a system that got bass you zone out
it's really creepy sounding and makes you feel like your on drugs, sounds real deep

Doctor's Advocate was better all around and is his best, he seemed more pissed off
this is a tie for me with The Documentary
mainly because those 2 have tracks I didn't like and some that I loved

Birdie

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 01:38:11 PM »
The Documentary > Doctor's Advocate > L.A.X.

''Agnel'' dope tho.
It's funky enough!

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 10:49:27 PM »
good review

side note there is like 5 diff threads on this lol