Author Topic: Pete Wentz, Kenna, Bun B, More Live-Blog Barack Obama’s Acceptance Speech  (Read 134 times)

Elano

Like many Americans, artists such as Pete Wentz, Big Boi, Kenna, Bun B, Murs, Ryan Leslie, Matt White and others are glued to the TV tonight, watching as Barack Obama officially accepts his historic selection as the Democratic Party’s nominee for president of the United States. Read their thoughts in real time throughout tonight’s speech:

Kenna, 9:27 p.m. ET: Some people have given Obama flak for picking Biden because he is Obama’s mentor … I think flak for that is retarded. Why wouldn’t you want someone you consider wise next to you as you take on the massive job of president?

Kenna, 9:45 p.m. ET: Go Barney, Go Barney, Go Barney. Who doesn’t love Barney Smith? WOW. “I need a president who puts Barney Smith before Smith Barney”??!!! HA - Bumper sticker companies are hard at work right now.

Bun B, 10:12 p.m. ET: The video intro is very moving. Candid shots of Barack Obama throughout his life really gives a better look at how his character was built. It gives him an even stronger connection to the people by showing his struggle, and how parallel it is to ours.

Kenna, 10:12 p.m. ET: Michelle Obama said that they never had conversations about being senator or president … that they just wanted to “move people.” When is the last time you have been moved? When is the last time you moved someone? Now is the time for that movement.

Kenna, 10:13 p.m. ET: This moment alone is powerful … His entrance alone is powerful. This is historic.

Bun B, 10:17 p.m. ET: He has humbly accepted the nomination. He also thanked Hillary and championed her as having walked the farthest with the party to get to this point. Also acknowledges Biden, President Clinton and Senator Kennedy as helping him on his travel.

Ryan Leslie, 10:18 p.m. ET: The music and introduction to this address makes the moment so surreal and exciting. His definitive claims to the Presidency will hopefully induce America to execute a self-fulfilling prophecy. He’s going straight in at the Bush administration!

Bun B, 10:19 p.m. ET: Through hard work and sacrifice, Barack feels this country can achieve its goals. He’s right. These are the principles this land was built on. It’s what will keep this country strong.

Kenna, 10:21 p.m. ET: Barack Obama is dead right about the defining moment. There is going to be a paradigm shift in the world as we know it.

Big Boi, 10:21 p.m. ET: Obama’s stance on economy and jobs was a great starting off point.

Bun B, 10:22 p.m. ET: He speaks of how this country is better than the examples set by the consequences of the administration. It’s true that Bush’s regime has left us with higher unemployment rates. The jobs being shipped overseas continue to cripple this economy.

Kenna, 10:23 p.m. ET: Wasn’t “8 Is Enough” a TV show?

Bun B, 10:23 p.m. ET: I agree. The past 8 years have been horrible for every class of American. We need to make a real change. McCain claims this economy is in a great place. He also claims this country is fill of whiners. Well no more whining because we are acting.

Murs, 10:23 p.m. ET: The new slogan is born “8 is enough”. I appreciate sen. Obama always acknowledging mccains service to our country. And despite him being the democratic nominee he continues to address america as a whole republicans and independents included.

Ryan Leslie, 10:25 p.m. ET: Mr. Obama’s criticism of McCain’s voting record (90% w/Bush) resonates well with a convention that unanimously agrees that those decisions were detrimental to the well-being of the country.

Kenna, 10:26 p.m. ET: Obama’s speech writer must have watched “8 Mile.” Obama is doing the pre-strike on all that McCain is gonna say like EMINEM at the end of “8 Mile” when he laid out all his sh*t and then struck! Ha.

Murs, 10:27 p.m. ET: Obama is making solid criticisms of Republican policies but I am looking forward to hearing more of his strategies.

Bun B, 10:28 p.m. ET: He says he doesn’t believe McCain. Doesn’t care … he just doesn’t know better. The old Republican guard philosophy is outdated and can’t relate. If McCain doesn’t know about his own home issues, how can he help us with ours? Barack says that the promise of prosperity this country represents is the only reason he is where he is today. I think a lot of us can relate. Only in America can his story have happened.

Murs, 10:29 p.m. ET: Great response to mc cain’s “celebrity” snub.

Matt White, 10:30 p.m. ET: Every American should have access to a good education and affordable or even free health care. Those should not just be privileges of the rich but privileges of being American.

Ryan Leslie, 10:30 p.m. ET: His stories of American citizens are inspirational - my parents did the same as Obama’s mother - encouraging education as a means to the achievement of the American dream, and sacrificing so that I could be academically prepared to attend and graduate from Harvard.

Pete Wentz, 10:31 p.m. ET: Right off the bat Obama unifies the party and goes for Bush’s jugular. Who else has production like this? The Led Zeppelin reunion? Maybe.

Bun B, 10:31 p.m. ET: He is speaking of the sacrifices his mother made for him. He is prepared to make the same sacrifices for his kids. As a parent I am in total agreement … they are the reason we do what we do.

Pete Wentz, 10:32 p.m. ET: Voting with g.w. 90 percent of the time? Sounds like a “mental recession.”

Bun B, 10:33 p.m. ET: We need to invest in new roads, schools and the environment. Government should work for you and not against. As we can see, this has been the case and it’s time to change.

Matt White, 10:34 p.m. ET: I’m inspired that Barack Obama is a regular guy who has come from humble working class beginnings. I’m in favor of tax cuts for working families. It seems as if the rich have continued to get rich as the middle class has continued to shrink.

Murs, 10:34 p.m. ET: Now this is what I’m talking about !!! Specifics. Clean water. 10 year plan to end our dependence on foreign oil. Tax cuts for small biz owners like my mother and myself. Domestically built energy efficient cars?! Who could be against that?

Kenna, 10:35 p.m. ET: He hit home with everyone there about killing our dependence on oil in 10 years. Ambitious.

Bun B, 10:35 p.m. ET: He’s claiming to reduce taxes for 95 percent of working Americans.
Sounds good but I’m not sure how practical that is. It’s much easier to say than do.

Ryan Leslie, 10:35 p.m. ET: Mr. Obama’s promise of tax breaks for small businesses applies directly to my belief in entrepreneurial development as a means to create future jobs and strengthen the economy. My company NextSelection is an example of this belief.

Bun B, 10:36 p.m. ET: He says he will cut our dependency on middle eastern oil on ten years.
Also he will put forth a $142 billion plan for fossil fuel research. Again it sounds good but it may take longer than that.

Bun B, 10:38 p.m. ET: If u commit to fighting for our country we will give you a college education. Let’s hope this isn’t the GI bill redux. Our soldiers deserve better from us for their service.

Kenna, 10:39 p.m. ET: MAAAAAAN!!!! Education and Health Care is the most important. The fact that he is laying out the insurance that Congress gets and claiming the responsibility for the elderly and children.

Bun B, 10:40 p.m. ET: Equal pay for equal work gets big applause. Along with his violence against women this sets him up well with women voters. Without hillary he needs to speak to them and he is.

Kenna, 10:40 p.m. ET: OOOOOOOOOH He is gonna check that federal budget line by line!

Matt White, 10:40 p.m. ET: Nothing would make me happier than to see higher salaries for teachers. It’s about time that public education in America be held to a higher standard. There is no excuse for substandard education in a country that prides itself on being a pioneer.

Ryan Leslie, 10:40 p.m. ET: The massive question for me as I debate with friends who are still skeptical of Obama’s platform is “How?” Closing corporate loopholes and revising the Federal budget are arduous tasks. The time alloted in this speech allows only a cursory overview of his plan to execute his proposals.

Kenna, 10:42 p.m. ET: You gotta love the flag on his lapel. Nice touch.

Bun B, 10:43 p.m. ET: If McCain is willing to have a debate about who’s better to be commander in chief he’s ready. Also he wants to send troops to afghanistan. Claims McCain will follow osama to the gates of hell but won’t even meet him at the gates of his house. Perfect sentiment of everyone I know.

Bun B, 10:46 p.m. ET: If McCain wants to follow bush’s strategy that’s fine but it don’t help us. Our foreign policy is falling apart and we must change it. I know I’m personally tired of how we look to the rest of the world. It’s time to be proud to be American again.

Murs, 10:46 p.m. ET: The comment on individual responsibility was my favorite by far. I like the comment about properly equipping and caring for our troops. But would prefer the mention of the word peace at least once.

Matt White, 10:47 p.m. ET: We meet a lot of people on the road who have just come home from Iraq. To see how hard these guys have worked to defend us, at such a young age, is truly humbling. I’m in favor of any president who will make sure that these men and women are taken care of when they return home.

Bun B, 10:47 p.m. ET: We need to change the idea that people can’t argue respectfully. This is very true today. In order to effect change on the other side we have to be willing to listen as well as be heard.

Kenna, 10:48 p.m. ET: The Led Zeppelin reunion? For sure Wentz!!! But bigger. LOL

Ryan Leslie, 10:49 p.m. ET: Excellent comment on taking a position for the sake of politics, though it’s difficult to imagine a campaign without muck-raking and mud-slinging. I’m sitting with a female NYU student that just said “Obama - do you bathe in Evian & Olive Oil??” He’s looking very presidential isn’t he?? She’s in love. Reminds me of stories I’ve heard about how women would swoon over JFK.

Murs, 10:50 p.m. ET: He said “our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters” WOW! Bold. But I’m definitely feeling the statement and his stance about finding a common ground when in a disagreement

Bun B, 10:51 p.m. ET: He speaks of gun control and abortion and same sex marriages and how the parties can reach common ground on these issues. This is the biggest problem of our administration. Let’s hope he can cross the party lines and bring unity to this administration so we can cure this country’s ills.

Big Boi, 10:52 p.m. ET: The points he made about the mental and physical care of the troops upon returning home from battle was very important. My father was a veteran and that is a key topic for me. These men and women come back from defending our way of life and can’t even get the care they deserve.

Matt White, 10:52 p.m. ET: It’s refreshing to hear someone admit that the challenges facing us will not be easy. It seems that Obama is willing to tackle these issues head on. This is the first time i’ve heard him address the issues at their root. If he can continue to do so I think that he can really implement change. Very exciting stuff!

Bun B, 10:53 p.m. ET: He says this election has never been about him but us. People are involved because of what we see not hear. It doesn’t take a speech to know it’s time for a change.

Kenna, 10:53 p.m. ET: “Its About You … Change doesn’t come from Washington … it comes to Washington” — He just won.

Pete Wentz, 10:58 p.m. ET: It’s strange to get the feeling that you will remember the exact moment and place you were sitting when someone gives a speech.

Bun B, 10:59 p.m. ET: He has acknowledged that the promise of America and the dream of doctor King is alive today. We can not turn back from that dream. We must move forward. We cannot walk alone into the future. It’s a fitting close because it starts with unity and Obama is the unifier we have all been waiting for. His speech was just what we needed to galvanize and electrify this country. It is now up to us as Americans to get active, get involved and get Obama elected! Bun B signing off live from Invesco Field at the DNC in Denver.

Kenna, 11:01 p.m. ET: I hate that it ended with country music … so weird. He should of had some serious epic music.

Ryan Leslie, 11:01 p.m. ET: The celebratory music selection of a country song and then military cadence followed by a brass fanfare with intense string arrangement rivals the greatest political film scores. Media is powerful.

Murs, 11:09 p.m. ET: Good speech. Very good. McCain has his work cut out for him.

Big Boi, 11:10 p.m. ET: I’m SPEECHLESS!!!!!!! Sumthing’s gotta give!