Author Topic: Will we ever get another true classic?  (Read 538 times)

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Will we ever get another true classic?
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2008, 03:34:03 AM »
Eventually, yes.  Now, IMO there hasn't been much that i think will stand the test of time.  The majority of rap has gone from storytelling (for an example, see Geto Boys - My Mind's Playing Tricks On Me), to catchy hooks and punchlines that don't tie in with a story and don't really make a cohesive song.  Its hard to want to listen to random catch phrases and slogans more than a few times...don't get me wrong, there's a place for this stuff, I just don't see it as having the same quality.
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2008, 06:59:20 AM »
Two definate classic albums. These are better than hella 90s albums.

Anthony Hamilton - Comin From Where Im From

and

Anthony Hamilton - Aint Nobody Worrying

MediumL

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2008, 11:10:57 AM »
Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner

^^^ Amazing album; original and from the heart. Presents a true image of urban life in the UK in a menacing tone. Of course most AMericans won't appreciate it because they're to close minded to listen to another accent but this album is undoubtedly one of the best albums of the decade.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2008, 11:39:05 AM »

^^^ Amazing album; original and from the heart. Presents a true image of urban life in the UK in a menacing tone. Of course most AMericans won't appreciate it because they're to close minded to listen to another accent but this album is undoubtedly one of the best albums of the decade.

I could never listen to a whole Dizzee album cause of his voice. I've heard some of his singles and I didn't like them at all

kemizt

MediumL

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2008, 12:46:20 PM »

I could never listen to a whole Dizzee album cause of his voice. I've heard some of his singles and I didn't like them at all

well theres some rappers e.g. q tip that i cant stand for a whole album but theres no denying ATCQ got classic albums
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Johnny B

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2008, 12:49:09 PM »
we r obviously in a new time and era in music. in the late 80's/90's rap was just starting to take over. there were a lot of hungry artists looking to create a buzz.

nowadays, those same artists aren't as inspired to keep coming up with that quality music...as well as there being hardly any up-and-coming artists.

another classic isn't out of the question yet, but we'll never see as many as there used to be, obviously.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2008, 01:00:24 PM »

well theres some rappers e.g. q tip that i cant stand for a whole album but theres no denying ATCQ got classic albums

But there's a difference to group and solo albums.

kemizt