Author Topic: U.S. captures $187 million drug haul in submarine  (Read 281 times)

WestCoasta

U.S. captures $187 million drug haul in submarine
« on: September 17, 2008, 04:01:24 AM »
The U.S. coast guard captured a submarine-like vessel equipped with sophisticated navigation equipment and stuffed with cocaine,

In a difficult nighttime operation during the weekend, U.S. officials arrested four Colombian smugglers on board the 59-foot (18-meter) steel and fiberglass vessel in international waters before they could sink it.

"The boat was partially submerged but you can't call it amateurish. The drug traffickers are not amateurs," Jose Pastor, a spokesman for Costa Rica's public security ministry told Reuters.

Several makeshift submarines toting drugs have been captured recently on the high seas. In July, the Mexican special forces captured a similar submarine carrying 200 tightly wrapped packages of cocaine.

On Saturday, the U.S. Coast Guard sent a team of special agents on small boats to surprise the smugglers after a U.S. Navy airplane spotted the sub. When the traffickers realized the agents were on their deck they shifted the boat violently in an attempt to throw the officers into the sea.

After that failed, they complied with orders not to open hatches designed to sink the craft, said the Coast Guard.

"This was the most dangerous operation of my career," Todd Bagetis, the lieutenant in charge of the Coast Guard team, said in a statement.

Official photos showed the craft packed full of 37 bales of cocaine with a street value of $187 million.

The vessel was likely capable of traveling from South America to the U.S. coast without stopping for fuel or supplies, said the Coast Guard.

The U.S. ship that nabbed the traffickers was set to arrive to the Costa Rican port of Caldera on Wednesday with the drug boat in tow, Pastor said.

Chief

Re: U.S. captures $187 million drug haul in submarine
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 06:30:23 AM »
yay they stopped maybe 2% of the influx

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 10:49:21 AM »
War on drugs is such a waste of time. Get the dangerous shit off the street, like meth, heroin and crack, and leave the weed users alone!!

Dubbz

• 'G'
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 11:46:54 AM »
^This article's about cocaine.

I totally agree with you about weed though. Absolute waste of time and resources.

the ghost

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 12:21:36 PM »
Sounds like its christmas in the hood now...the feds are about to flood the block

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 12:43:23 PM »
I think it's cool that they used a submarine.  I wanna own a submarine.  Shit would be pimpish.