Author Topic: McCain to temporarily suspend his campaign  (Read 116 times)

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
McCain to temporarily suspend his campaign
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:08:22 PM »
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/09/mccain_suspends_campaign.html?hpid=topnews

Sen. John McCain's surprise announcement that he would temporarily suspend his campaign to return to Washington to help broker a deal to save the financial industry is the latest in a series of political gambits surrounding the financial crisis on Wall Street, and is sure to reshape political calculations and voter attitudes around the volatile issue.

The move is an obvious attempt by McCain and his campaign to paint the Arizona senator as above politics, willing to put aside his campaign for the good of the country.

It comes as two new national polls -- including one conducted by the Washington Post -- show McCain slipping in the head-to-head matchup against Barack Obama due in large part to voters' inclination to trust the Illinois senator to solve the financial problems of the country.

The McCain campaign believes that their candidate is at his best when he is seen as a deal-maker, willing to reach across party lines to get things done for the good of the country. This economic crisis, they believe, provides McCain a chance to show the sort of leadership that voters value in the Arizona senator.

"John McCain's leadership and experience credentials outrank Barack Obama's," said Sarah Simmons, a McCain campaign strategist, this morning. "[We are] walking through a crisis and people are looking to see how it is going to be handled."

Obama, however, refused to allow McCain to dictate the terms of the campaign's next few days during a press conference in Florida just before 5 p.m. ET.

"There are times for politics and then there are times to rise above politics and do what's right for our country," said Obama. "This is one of those times."

He added, however, that he had no plans to re-schedule Friday night's presidential debate in Oxford, Miss., as McCain had proposed in announcing the suspension of his campaign.

"It's my belief that this is exactly the time when the American people need to hear from the person who in approximately 40 days will be responsible for dealing with this mess," said Obama. "Part of the president's job is to deal with more than one thing at once."

It was not immediately clear what the fate of the debate will be if only Obama decides to show up on Friday night.

Both McCain and Obama have struggled to deal with the real-time challenges of the economic crisis since it emerged on the national political landscape last weekend. Neither man is particularly well versed in the intricate complexities of the economy and have been cautious to announce their support (or opposition) to the proposed $700 billion bailout of the financial firms being pushed by the Bush Administration.

McCain appeared to be getting the worst of the exchanges on the economy -- if recent polling is to be believed.

In a new Washington Post/ABC News survey released today, Obama led McCain 52 percent to 43 percent, an edge largely built on the increase in the number of voters who believe the Illinois senator is best positioned to handle the economic crisis. A survey also released today from Fox News/Opinion Dynamics showed Obama with a 45 percent to 39 percent lead -- a significant improvement from a poll done by the same organization earlier this month that put McCain ahead by three points.

The move was announced in a statement in New York City this afternoon in which the Arizona senator said he was pulling his campaign ads down and canceling all fundraising beginning tomorrow. Obama did not respond in kind. The announcement came just hours before President George W. Bush is preparing to address the nation at 9 p.m. ET tonight on the economic crisis.

"Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative," McCain said. "I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me."

McCain went on to compare the current crisis in the financial markets with the attacks of Sept. 11 and called on politicians to draw on the bipartisan spirit created during those times in order to solve the economic problems of the country today.

"Following September 11th, our national leaders came together at a time of crisis," McCain said. "We must show that kind of patriotism now. Americans across our country lament the fact that partisan divisions in Washington have prevented us from addressing our national challenges. Now is our chance to come together to prove that Washington is once again capable of leading this country."

The next 48 hours will be the equivalent of a political staring contest. Who will blink first? And, if neither candidate does, what will happen Friday night? A presidential debate with only one presidential candidate?

Sikotic™

Re: McCain to temporarily suspend his campaign
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Smart move on his part. First of all, he don't want it with a more articulate Obama. Secondly, he makes it look like he cares more about the country than his campaign AND he's trying to show that he is experienced in economic affairs.

Unfortunately, average Americans will not be able to see through his douchebaggness.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: McCain to temporarily suspend his campaign
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
after the first debate he'll get served.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09