Author Topic: What do you all know about the Warrior gene?  (Read 219 times)

Archetype

What do you all know about the Warrior gene?
« on: September 23, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »

I stumbled upon this at wikipedia, and found it fascinating.

A version of the primate monoamine oxidase-A gene has been referred to as the warrior gene, initially in monkeys then in humans. Several different versions of the gene are found in different individuals, although a functional gene is present in most humans (except in a few individuals with Brunner syndrome). There is not an additional warrior gene, rather the genotype associated with behavioural traits is shorter (30 bases) and may produce less MAO-A enzyme. The variation in this case is actually in a regulatory promoter region about 1000 bases from the start of the region that encodes the MAO-A enzyme. However, research studies emphasise that behaviour is dependent on both genes and the environment.

In 2006, a New Zealand researcher, Dr Rod Lea said that this variant (or genotype) of monoamine oxidase-A was over-represented in a small sample of current Māori. This supported earlier studies that there are different proportions of variants in different ethnic groups. This is the case for many genetic variants, with 33% White/Non-Hispanic, 61% Asian/Pacific Islanders having the shorter promoter variant of the MAO-A gene. This was subsequently discussed in a number of articles in the New Zealand Medical Journal.

Due to the sensitive political nature of the findings, and the standard peer review process, the research has been heavily scrutinized. Several objections have been raised, such as the small sample size, and the extrapolation of non-Maori studies to the Maori population. In addition, ideological objections were raised, as well as concerns about announcing such findings in the early stages of research.

Further researching of the topic can lead you to some astounding conclusions about race and crime correlations.

Take the indigenous people of South America for example, and their brutal, warrior culture. For years they captured and enslaved each other just for living in a different stretch of jungle. Nowadays decedents fire guns into houses of people they consider enemies because they take pride in a different neighborhood. 

The same could be translated for violent African lineage parlaying to street gang violence in America.

Of course this will be pretty shocking to people's of pure African and "Latino" heritage so you can choose to believe what you want. It is something of an unpleasant, unfair truth about our world.

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Cold Hearted Son Of A Bitch
Re: What do you all know about the Warrior gene?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 07:50:48 PM »
i wonder why that one guys pants are wet  :drool:

Chief

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 04:04:08 AM »
thats nuts, its believable though, most maoris i met are fucking huge

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:21:58 AM »
Interesting post aside from the blatant stereotyping of a couple ethnicities you threw in at the end.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 05:57:51 PM »
yeah i can see that being true. i use to call my old buddies a bunch of cavemen cuz that's how they acted. but at the end of the day i've always felt that there's some kind of primitive instinct a lot of people still cull from their ancestor's genes.

and it's not just latinos or blacks, i see it in whites too. 

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Sparegeez

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 01:15:27 AM »
wtf..

This is one of the most racist things I've ever read on wikipedia. lol

Chief

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 05:22:22 AM »
^how is it racist?

Sparegeez

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 03:40:56 PM »
It's racist because they're saying the main reason Blacks and Latinos fight each other is because they're savages. As if the gene is ONLY in Blacks and Latinos. That doesn't sound a bit racist to you?

Whites and other races are violent as well. Have you guys forgotten about the Roman Empire? The Gladiators? Every race out there had its violent folks, even the Asians. Ever heard of Genghis Khan?

Chief

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 03:20:47 AM »
^ you forget how long ago the greeks/romans were around

i actually agree with the maouris, they were warriors still 300 years ago, they werent defeated by the west, they still have a distinct tribal mentality. its not a bad thing, its just who they are, and in general its a stereotype but it fits the mould.