Author Topic: What do you think this decades music will say about our times years from now?  (Read 456 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
-60's is political music, drug music, much of it was influenced by the war in Vietnam and the peace movement

70's- I don't know much about the 70's

80's- I think America was experiencing a lot of prosperity in the 80's just judging by the music.  Whether it was real or false, Reagan did do a good job of promoting that image of America being a leader in the world and "shining city on a hill".  You have Cindy Lauper with "girls wanna have fun" seems like a signature song of the 80's to me. 

90's- first half Bush had us in a major war, I think times were hard as reflected in the LA riots and the music that came out of that like Dre's Chronic album is a signature record of the early 90's.  But then came the internet boom of the Clinton years and you have great prosperity again as reflected by the bling era starting in hiphop and the boy bands, the Britney's and all that, and the backpacker movement that wanted to be counter-culture and against all of that.

-00's... and now you have this decade.  Bush has tarnished America's image all over the world, and I think now music has lost a lot of its creativity and sex seems to be the only big seller in these times.  Its sex and materialism but not really in a fun way but more as a distraction from hard times.

what yall think?
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Archetype

I'd have to agree with you about the sex and materialism without the fun. Music, or at least the mainstream American music scene (Billboard Top 100) is generally made up of shallow, pretentious acts that have to rely on image more so than actual talent.
Let's run down the line of music genres:

Hip Hop - Easily the least fulfilling, negative, idiotic, repetitive shit you can find. "Artists" who wish to make it big must rely on reoccuring themes of sex, material wealth, and the proverbial race to the bottom that was/is their rocky past, usually consisting of selling drugs and other scumbag shit. Living in New York you can see examples every day of stupid youth imitating stupid musicians reflecting their own ignorant upbringing. It's really a mind fuck.

Pop - Pop music used to be fun in the 70's and 80's, and often featured well written lyrics and creative instrumentation culminating in a great record that I am not ashamed to say I like. As hip hop and in the late 80's-90's electronic music pervaded what was known as the pop scene, pop music started to be more about catchy hooks and driving beats, much like the other up and coming genres. Once industry people fully tapped into the marketing possibilities of this new pop music, they stopped taking chances with acts, and settled for familiar routines that would be sure to earn them lots. Hence, most of the 90's-now pop music is interchangable.

R&B - Holy God, this genre has suffered so much in the last twenty years. R&B as it was once known, is a thing of the past, and hip hop has encroached into this once soulful, beautiful art form and is now a safe haven for more crack dealers and sex rhymes. I am most upset about the decline of R&B more so than other genres.

Rock - Androgony is at an all time high, and what was once tough bad ass music is now a bunch of self absorbed ignorant losers whining and screaming into the mic like girls. Whats worse is that since girls make so much of the consumer market, the same dickheads who raped the pop genre are now doing the same thing with rock and making it all a predictable fashion scene to be idolized by it's key demographic, along with other generally young, insecure suburbanites. Rock/emo/scene/hardcore is laughable. I seriously laugh when I see one of their videos on tv.

Country - You know what, I'm not a country fan by any means, but I'll give most music a couple minutes if I'm flipping through stations, and these guys generally have the most sincere, descriptive lyrics about issues that don't fit into the familiar themes of mainstream music. I don't know enough to say whether it's changed a lot in the last few decades, other than I'm willing to bet that in the 90's and before, artists weren't runnign around with a big fat cosrvative stick up their ass trying to call out to their hilbilly bretheren to join the military, or pray for the troops or whatever the fuck some these clowns are trying to feed us.

Overall, in my opinion, mainstream music has just lost it's balls because with waning record sales, execs are less likely to take chances on original, different sounds that may or may not necessarilly make them millions.

To me, todays music reflects the greed of our time. Stale, ignorant, and unoriginal all for the sake of cranking a few more dollars out of the same reputable cash cow.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
I'd have to agree with you about the sex and materialism without the fun. Music, or at least the mainstream American music scene (Billboard Top 100) is generally made up of shallow, pretentious acts that have to rely on image more so than actual talent.
Let's run down the line of music genres:

Hip Hop - Easily the least fulfilling, negative, idiotic, repetitive shit you can find. "Artists" who wish to make it big must rely on reoccuring themes of sex, material wealth, and the proverbial race to the bottom that was/is their rocky past, usually consisting of selling drugs and other scumbag shit. Living in New York you can see examples every day of stupid youth imitating stupid musicians reflecting their own ignorant upbringing. It's really a mind fuck.

Pop - Pop music used to be fun in the 70's and 80's, and often featured well written lyrics and creative instrumentation culminating in a great record that I am not ashamed to say I like. As hip hop and in the late 80's-90's electronic music pervaded what was known as the pop scene, pop music started to be more about catchy hooks and driving beats, much like the other up and coming genres. Once industry people fully tapped into the marketing possibilities of this new pop music, they stopped taking chances with acts, and settled for familiar routines that would be sure to earn them lots. Hence, most of the 90's-now pop music is interchangable.

R&B - Holy God, this genre has suffered so much in the last twenty years. R&B as it was once known, is a thing of the past, and hip hop has encroached into this once soulful, beautiful art form and is now a safe haven for more crack dealers and sex rhymes. I am most upset about the decline of R&B more so than other genres.

Rock - Androgony is at an all time high, and what was once tough bad ass music is now a bunch of self absorbed ignorant losers whining and screaming into the mic like girls. Whats worse is that since girls make so much of the consumer market, the same dickheads who raped the pop genre are now doing the same thing with rock and making it all a predictable fashion scene to be idolized by it's key demographic, along with other generally young, insecure suburbanites. Rock/emo/scene/hardcore is laughable. I seriously laugh when I see one of their videos on tv.

Country - You know what, I'm not a country fan by any means, but I'll give most music a couple minutes if I'm flipping through stations, and these guys generally have the most sincere, descriptive lyrics about issues that don't fit into the familiar themes of mainstream music. I don't know enough to say whether it's changed a lot in the last few decades, other than I'm willing to bet that in the 90's and before, artists weren't runnign around with a big fat cosrvative stick up their ass trying to call out to their hilbilly bretheren to join the military, or pray for the troops or whatever the fuck some these clowns are trying to feed us.

Overall, in my opinion, mainstream music has just lost it's balls because with waning record sales, execs are less likely to take chances on original, different sounds that may or may not necessarilly make them millions.

To me, todays music reflects the greed of our time. Stale, ignorant, and unoriginal all for the sake of cranking a few more dollars out of the same reputable cash cow.

I disagree with you placing the blame on "greed".  I think greed often drives people to great creativity and success.  Dre admits a lot of the great music he created was for money, women, etc.  He even is quoted as saying that if people download his music for free "then what's the use of me even going to the studio".

Otherwise you had a really nice post.  You kind of broke it down into genre's.  I was looking at it more from an overall perspective.

I've actually been listening late 80's music lately, songs I like as a kid.  I don't think its just a result of nostalgia, but it genuinely sounds like the music was more fun then, people were experiencing happiness and prosperity.  And if sex and materialism are mentioned its in a conscious or fun way. 

-Yet today, its no longer about fun, but rather more of a status symbol, or to throw in peoples faces.  Like you aint shit unless you got this or that.  Also, it does capture your attention, I think a lot of it has to do with distracting people from the hard times America is experiencing in these Bush years.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

Archetype

That's kind of a paranoid, conspiracy theorist way to look at it. You're not honestly gonna tell me that all the record giants are in cahoots with the government and are using idiotic music as a ploy to blind us are you? And that they then in turn tell the artists to make music a certain way..

herpes

That's kind of a paranoid, conspiracy theorist way to look at it. You're not honestly gonna tell me that all the record giants are in cahoots with the government and are using idiotic music as a ploy to blind us are you? And that they then in turn tell the artists to make music a certain way..

I actually made a post about this a while back ago.  But I think that can be said for pretty much all media now.  Look at the garbage on TV.  Look at what a joke our news media has become.

Rugged Monk

^I don't think its mostly a deliberate conspiracy to dumb us down (although it seems more like a combination) , I think humanbeings just naturally gravitates towards that and it cycles between ignorance and enlightenment; in past centuries the masses were told what to think and it was the responsibility of leadership to shepherd the people and enlighten the masses.
Nowadays, as liberalism has emerged the dominant world doctrine, salvation and enlightenment is more than ever an individual undertaking, however there is a catch: ignorance and stupidity is the default option.

These last couple of years this new millenium, I got more faith in hip-hop than ever, regardless of record sales and money, I think hip-hop is the strongest its been in a long while because underground artists haven't ever stopped doin their thing, they keep bangin out good music! Hip-hop has just gone back underground: secret society steeeeez and thats the way I likes it.

'Pharoah headress, on my bedrest,
commercial rap singing hooks, I couldn't care less'
-Killah Priest, 'All Hail', Beautiful Minds.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!

no man.. I wasn't saying that at all... I don't know how you got that idea... I guess it's possible... but really I was just saying that music is a reflection of the times, and that America is going through hard times right now and so they just want a few minutes of distraction from whatever they are going through, so the music being produced these days doesn't provide much overall well-being or meaning in people's life's, but just serves to distract them temporarily.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
^I don't think its mostly a deliberate conspiracy to dumb us down (although it seems more like a combination) , I think humanbeings just naturally gravitates towards that and it cycles between ignorance and enlightenment; in past centuries the masses were told what to think and it was the responsibility of leadership to shepherd the people and enlighten the masses.
Nowadays, as liberalism has emerged the dominant world doctrine, salvation and enlightenment is more than ever an individual undertaking, however there is a catch: ignorance and stupidity is the default option.

These last couple of years this new millenium, I got more faith in hip-hop than ever, regardless of record sales and money, I think hip-hop is the strongest its been in a long while because underground artists haven't ever stopped doin their thing, they keep bangin out good music! Hip-hop has just gone back underground: secret society steeeeez and thats the way I likes it.

suggest me a couple dope underground tracks I can check out on youtube or upload something

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
the only thing I see in 00's is death of music or birth of some sort of devil music...
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Rugged Monk

suggest me a couple dope underground tracks I can check out on youtube or upload something

right now i enjoys that new Killah Priest and Chief Kamachi, Beautiful Minds also the new DJ Muggs and Planet Asia album Pain Language:

http://rapidshare.com/files/146739674/Killah_Priest_And_Chief_Kamachi-Beautiful_Minds-2008-C4.rar

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i2iy64

Last year Priest had The Offering and Muggs had Legend of the Mask and Assassin....(if you aint peeped those then run out and cop). I love the fact that I live in Australia and we are not over-saturated with gangbanger and wigger culture (you can be a wigger too if you black), dumb fucks hanging out 24/7 infront of 7/11s with ridiculously oversized FUBU shits and shirts like curtains.... I can only imagine... I cringe at alot of the bullshit that comes out of the US...Instead we just pluck the jewels from the dirt, filter the real from the fake and say 'thank-you, you can keep all the rest of that'.

All the dope artists working together more and more, thats what im loving, you seeing Ill Bill with Immortal Tech, tech with Killah Priest, Priest with Muggs, Muggs with GZA, Muggs with Bill...and so on and so on so much goodness i cant word it all. The y2ks is being the ILLLEST era in hip-hop, fools are just ASLEEEP!
And THAT is very representative of our times: the great unwashed goyamic masses remain ignorant and blinded from the lies and illusions spewed forth by the dancing whores of Babylon while those beneath the surface remain very much awake with eyes like a young Ezekiel....
Hip-hop is alive as ever, its just esoteric, in every sense of the word. Theres so much dope hip-hop you just gotta search for it yourself or else you will never get it like a freemasonry initiation. 

My older brothers were into hip-hop in the late 80s and 90s and we always argue -they keep saying 'hip-hop is dead' and 'kids these days don't have no movements anymore', 'Pac and Big was when it was the real era', 'blah, blah blah'. Man...people only say that because they are not up on that real hip-hop and have lost sight and fallen behind ('to be Hip is to be update and relevant' -KRS-One) These days hip-hop is way more sure of itself and refined in terms of what it stands for, back then I don't think hip-hop had that, its was thug shit above anything else, political and nourishing only secondly. Nowadays, I think the balance is more healthy, but it flucuates like a person's happiness, hip-hop is living like Islam or Christianity is said to be a living religion. Of course im disregarding the mainstream industry, but hip-hop has never cared or been defined by what the mainstream industry does so why would we be doing that now?

oh yeah right now im also loving and listening to some tracks off J Live's Then What Happened Album and Erykah Badu's new 4th world war album, im getsssss off over that spiritual hip-hop.

Peace

ps your pm dosnt work i suspects a zionist-murdoch-HAARP conspiracy...

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:13:06 PM by Rugged Monk »

Rugged Monk

Re: What do you think this decades music will say about our times years from now?
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 05:18:41 PM »
the only thing I see in 00's is death of music or birth of some sort of devil music...

'Satan, an angel of God: is an adversary of Man, not God, Satan nowhere in the Bible is considered an enemy of God...'
-as sampled by Grandmaster DJ Muggs, '?', Legend of the Mask & the Assassin.

Thats right...Rugged Monk be that heretic panganist devil worshipper... but overstand my young Jedi padawans....

THE DEVIL
Basic Card Symbols

A winged, horned devil, a black pedestal, a naked male and female figure, chains, inverted pentagram.

Basic Tarot Story

The Fool comes to the foot of an enormous black mountain where reigns a creature half goat, half god. At his hooves, naked people linked to the god's throne by chains, engage in every indulgence imaginable: sex, drugs, food, gold, drink. The closer the Fool gets, the more he feels his own earthly desires rising in him. Lust, passion, obsession, greed. "I refuse to give into you!" he roars at the Goat god, resisting with all his might. The creature returns a curious look. "All I am doing is bringing out what is already in you," the beast responds. "Such feelings are nothing to fear, nothing to be ashamed of, or even to avoid." The Fool gestures angrily at the chained men and women, "You say that even though they are enslaved?" The Goat-god mimics the Fool's gesture. "Take another look."

The Fool does so, and realizes that the chained collars the men and women wear are wide enough for them to easily slip off over their heads. "They can be free if they wish to be," the Goat-god says, "Though you are right. I am the god of your strongest desires. But you see here only those who have allowed their base, bestial desires to control them." At this the Goat-god gestures upward, toward the peak of the mountain. "You do not see those who have allowed their impulses and aspirations to take them up to the top of that mountain. Inhibitions can enslave as easily as excesses. They can keep you from following your passion to the highest heights." The Fool realizes the truth in this, and that he has mistaken the Goat-god. Here he understands now that it is not a creature of evil, but of great power, the lowest and the highest, both of beast and god. Like all power it is frightening, and dangerous...but it is also the key to freedom and transcendence if understood and well used.

Basic Tarot Meaning

Perhaps the most misunderstood card of all the major arcana, the Devil is not really "Satan" at all, but Pan the half-goat nature god and/or Dionysius. These are gods of pleasure and abandon, of wild behavior and unbridled desires. With Capricorn as its ruling sign, this is a card about ambitions; it is also synonymous with temptation and addiction. On the flip side, however, the card can be a warning to someone who is too restrained, someone who never allows themselves to get passionate or messy or wild - or ambitious. This, too, is a form of enslavement. The important thing is to remind the Seeker that any chain is freely worn. In most cases, you are enslaved only because you allow it.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/basics/devil.shtml
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:08:19 PM by Rugged Monk »

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: What do you think this decades music will say about our times years from now?
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 07:37:02 PM »
well you only listen to hip hop so......

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 07:56:50 PM »
The 90s was the peak of the Generation X stuff and was seen by many as standing for nothing, music included. I see the 2000s being remembered the same way, except with shittier music. The 90s at least had the second wave of rap, grunge, and new takes on punk and metal. The 2000s have shit rap, shit post-grunge, and emo.

Obviously there is still great stuff on the indy scene coming out left right and centre, maybe even better music compared to the 90s, but it's so obscure that it won't be remembered by the masses.

Rugged Monk

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 08:21:12 PM »
i think culture in general is the same as it always was and i'll listen to any music from any era, that is; there is the basic what is on the surface that the masses percieve and then there is always the subjective esoteric beneath that if you can be fucked to look deeper and appreciate...
...hip-hop, movies, music and da vinci paintings same shit...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:23:05 PM by Rugged Monk »

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 11:06:05 PM »

right now i enjoys that new Killah Priest and Chief Kamachi, Beautiful Minds also the new DJ Muggs and Planet Asia album Pain Language:

http://rapidshare.com/files/146739674/Killah_Priest_And_Chief_Kamachi-Beautiful_Minds-2008-C4.rar

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i2iy64

Last year Priest had The Offering and Muggs had Legend of the Mask and Assassin....(if you aint peeped those then run out and cop). I love the fact that I live in Australia and we are not over-saturated with gangbanger and wigger culture (you can be a wigger too if you black), dumb fucks hanging out 24/7 infront of 7/11s with ridiculously oversized FUBU shits and shirts like curtains.... I can only imagine... I cringe at alot of the bullshit that comes out of the US...Instead we just pluck the jewels from the dirt, filter the real from the fake and say 'thank-you, you can keep all the rest of that'.

All the dope artists working together more and more, thats what im loving, you seeing Ill Bill with Immortal Tech, tech with Killah Priest, Priest with Muggs, Muggs with GZA, Muggs with Bill...and so on and so on so much goodness i cant word it all. The y2ks is being the ILLLEST era in hip-hop, fools are just ASLEEEP!
And THAT is very representative of our times: the great unwashed goyamic masses remain ignorant and blinded from the lies and illusions spewed forth by the dancing whores of Babylon while those beneath the surface remain very much awake with eyes like a young Ezekiel....
Hip-hop is alive as ever, its just esoteric, in every sense of the word. Theres so much dope hip-hop you just gotta search for it yourself or else you will never get it like a freemasonry initiation. 

My older brothers were into hip-hop in the late 80s and 90s and we always argue -they keep saying 'hip-hop is dead' and 'kids these days don't have no movements anymore', 'Pac and Big was when it was the real era', 'blah, blah blah'. Man...people only say that because they are not up on that real hip-hop and have lost sight and fallen behind ('to be Hip is to be update and relevant' -KRS-One) These days hip-hop is way more sure of itself and refined in terms of what it stands for, back then I don't think hip-hop had that, its was thug shit above anything else, political and nourishing only secondly. Nowadays, I think the balance is more healthy, but it flucuates like a person's happiness, hip-hop is living like Islam or Christianity is said to be a living religion. Of course im disregarding the mainstream industry, but hip-hop has never cared or been defined by what the mainstream industry does so why would we be doing that now?

oh yeah right now im also loving and listening to some tracks off J Live's Then What Happened Album and Erykah Badu's new 4th world war album, im getsssss off over that spiritual hip-hop.

Peace

ps your pm dosnt work i suspects a zionist-murdoch-HAARP conspiracy...

Thanks... and u just became my new favorite poster... now I just hope these songs you suggested live up to the hype you gave them.

Also... this PM thing pisses me off, all the sudden my PM doesn't work and I haven't changed anything.  My username is resident but its been resident for a few years now and only a couple months ago people started saying my PM was messed up, and I have tried to PM Job and his PM doesn't work either...

...anybody know what's up?