Author Topic: [10/02] Devin The Dude - Landing Gear [2008] [Retail] [EAC] [VBR]  (Read 977 times)

The_Game

• Lil Geezy
Re: [10/02] Devin The Dude - Landing Gear [2008] [Retail] [EAC] [VBR]
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 12:47:53 AM »
Could someone pm me  8)

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 01:13:25 AM »
Not listening to the leak.  Buying immediately.  Do the same!!!!!!!
I'm way too impatient to do that lol. But u better believe I will be at Target, Circuit City, or BestBuy on Tuesday to pick this up.

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 02:33:11 AM »
really nice album by devin, his last one was better in my oppinion a true classic

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 03:33:21 AM »
is it me, or this album a bit short?

No way. Its how all albums should be. More likely to have picked all good tracks, basically there will be less filler.

Yup

kemizt

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 05:32:08 AM »

No way. Its how all albums should be. More likely to have picked all good tracks, basically there will be less filler.

Yup

BS. Havent heard the album yet, tho Im sure its pretty good but Devin can make more than 12 good tracks to put on an album. This whole short album craze is one of my main gripes nowadays about the game. Its not impossible to make an album of 20 hot songs but nowadays niggas dont even try.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 05:53:31 AM »
Pretty dope release, like someone said its a lil bit less good than Waiting To Inhale but still got nice material on it
I like that single produced by Cozmo, really good single

Invincible

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 06:27:59 AM »

Yup

BS. Havent heard the album yet, tho Im sure its pretty good but Devin can make more than 12 good tracks to put on an album. This whole short album craze is one of my main gripes nowadays about the game. Its not impossible to make an album of 20 hot songs but nowadays niggas dont even try.

So you are telling me you would rather pay for an album with half good tracks on it, half filler than an album with only 12 dope tracks on. Well you are a T.I. fan and  most his albums are half filler, so a silly question really.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 07:14:10 AM »

Yup

It's not impossible, but it's dam hard - that's for sure.

kemizt

DrewDogg

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Veni Vidi Vici / v3 /
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 09:07:47 AM »
I'm a fucking huge devin the dude fan. I enjoyed the album, but it could have definitely been better. and Highway is a track he used on another mixtape/album already. I think 12 SONGS would've been more acceptable to me if he threw 2 to 3 of his trademark intro/skits/short funny songs. His personality in all those youtube vids he made to promote this album feels awkardly absent.

I'm thinking maybe a little too many songs focused on females and less weed/party tracks.

I have to honestly say I'm a lil disappointed. Weakest album in his catalogue imo.

DrewDogg

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Veni Vidi Vici / v3 /
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 10:30:56 AM »
my breakdown, what did y'all think?

1. In My Draws 8/10 - Not a bad song. Interesting beat, feels like a devin track. lil bit of that talkbox effect in there. the song structure kinda reminds me of boo boo'n. kinda lack lustre as the first track though. Hook could've been stronger i think.

2. I Can't Make it Home - 10/10 - great beat, great hook, this is the devin we all know and love imo. Probably my fav song on the album. "on my ass like white on rice, like shit on graassss" I'm sure a lot of folks can relate to the song.

3. Thinkin' Boutchu - 7/10 - cool beat. the first of many songs about a woman. this one about reminiscing about a girl. just an okay track to me. Song about women #1.

4. Let Me Know It's Real - 6.5/10 - Another just alright song. beat is nothing amazing. an ode to trying to get pussy. but Can't really hold up against something like See What I Can Pull. Song about women #2

5. El Grande Nalgas - 9/10 - Cool song. More along the lines of what I personally like from devin. Humour abound. sings throughout. Song about women #3

6. Me. You. - 7/10 - decent beat. almost a middle eastern vibe I'm catching at the beginning. it's an alright song, getting kind of tired of the similar subject matter again. Song about women #4

7. Highway - 9/10 - Great song, but this was already on the Coughee Brothaz album. Disappointing for those waiting for those wanting new material, especially with so few tracks on this album.

8. I Don't Chase Em - 9/10 - I'm sure a good portion of us on here like Snoop, and for me it's always nice to hear these 2 together on a record. Good track. BUT song about women #5

9. Yo Mind - 7.5/10 - Decent track, Finallly some different subject matter. not really focused but about not losing your mind, hardships of life, not to be making poor decisions.

10. Your Kinda Love - 7/10. good beat, decent singer on the track. Devin only spit 2 short verses and this motherfucker sings the rest of the song. still not bad,  BUT song about women #6

11. I Need a Song - 7.5/10 - another alright song. is that devin or one of the coughee brothaz doing a bone thug impression? haha if it isn't Devin, the what the fuck is he just doing the hook on his own song on his own album? Different subject matter than bitches appreciated. 

12. Stray - Song about dumb bitches. but AGAIN song about women #7.

All in all, as a huge devin fan, i felt i was being fairly generous with the ratings compared to a reviewer going in with cold feet. I felt the lack of an intro/skits/short funny songs heavily detracted from the overall package of the album. especially since it's such a short album. (All his other albums had 16-17 tracks, now 12!?) and especially since he promoted it with humour with those youtube joints. it's something we've all become accustomed to and it feels weird to me without it. The songs do have some funny bits, but overall the humour seems played down, The Richard Pryor of hip hop without the comedy? And the production was just okay to me for most songs overall. I think about it like this, if i were to see Devin perform again....how many of these songs would I actually want to see him do? Honestly, Maybe 3-4 at most.

I also felt the high amount of female related topics was a bit much, over 50% of the tracks have that topic. I like devin's songs about pussy just as much as the next guy, afterall his music is generally weed, wine and women. But this was a bit much.. Where was the weed and wine? where was the tracks akin to zeldar, briarpatch, party, unity, whatever, doobie ashtray, almighty dollar, etc? also, nothing on this album strayed away from a typical format except maybe el grande nalgas.

I can honestly say I expected more from this album, especially since his leaving Rap-a-Lot.....maybe that wasn't such a good decision afterall? It seems they put more effort into promoting this album, more than any other album it seems, but maybe that money should've been more focused into the production. What's the concept of landing gear? all those pics with the pilot uniforms and parachutes? how did it correlate to any of the songs on the album? All his other album titles had related to at least one song on the actual album. The ""landing gear" theme didn't play out at all here for me. How do y'all feel about the actual replay value of this album? I can see myself skipping tracks left and right.

I'll still purchase this album to support Devin, even if it's 5 more albums like this, but I can't help but feel his solo efforts are becoming weaker and weaker album to album. 

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:36:23 AM by DrewDogg »

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 10:37:20 AM »
i just gotta chance to hear the whole album this morning and my opinion is pretty mucht the same as everyone else.....good album, no wack songs, but not his best......cant make it home easily the best song on the album.....the production is definately the weakest link here.......
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 02:50:02 PM »
I love this album (not Devin's best), but it has the same vibe as "Waitin' To Inhale". Disappointed that he reused that Coughee Brothaz track, though. Anyone know what happened to that Spice 1 feature on the "High Y'all Doing" 3rd video? That song sounded crazy. I just ordered this from Best Buy and they have a different tracklisting ???

Lunatic

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 02:54:04 PM »
gonna' hear this soon no doubt; most likely sunday or so.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Sickaluffa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my bitch drives what u drive and she got new tits
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 03:22:35 PM »
get at me with the link, please and thank you

still gonna cop this one though to support Devin  8)