Author Topic: Your ten favorite West Coast artists....and what you dislike the most about them  (Read 551 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
This thread is a bit different...instead of just naming your ten favorites, name something about them that you don't like, whether it's minor or something serious. Most people are always being defensive about their favorites, and saying negative things about those they don't like...so I just want to switch things up for a change. Therefore...if somebody says something negative in this case, it is NOT hating, LOL.

I'll list my current favorites...

Snoop - Tends to say his name too much at times...gets lazy on certain tracks, even those that have classic potential. Tends to leave off great tracks from every album, although some are from sample clearance issues and label politics

Dre - Doesn't put out enough albums and takes too long at times....tends to milk his sound at times, which all producers do, but it tends to have people say "he fell off" when reality is he's just using whatever that style is as much as he can until it burns out

Quik - Tends to be slightly bi-polar when it comes to bein "gangsta" and with some of his opinions and actions. Tends to be hit and miss when he tries different styles of production.

Too Short - Some of his albums tend to lose replay value because of the repetitive content. His formula has definitely worked forever, but at times, it can be monotonous.

Crooked I - As everyone complains, he doesn't have an album...but for me, the even bigger issue is that he rarely puts out songs that have lasting appeal to me. He has the best verses and bars in the game when he's on his shit, but that doesn't always lead to good songs. I've heard him on commercial beats that made me happy that he wasn't the original rapper who got the beat, even when the rapper who used it may only be half as good as him.

Murs - Flow tends to go slightly off track at times, depending on the song and beat. Some of his songs will sound good on album, but sound better live when he is 100% into it

Mistah F.A.B. - Tends to get carried away with the Mac Dre style at times, and tends to say random azz things that can be hit or miss. Because of his "thizzed out" persona, it's hard for some people to take him serious as a lyricist and battle rapper, especially if they only know his Thizz style.

Glasses Malone - Tends to aim many songs to the south and their style, which is only a problem to me because I can't always play them during a West Coast mix due to the tempo and energy.

Game - Name drops way too much, and every once in a while, his flow falls off track. He sounds forced on some songs

E-40 - His flow is obviously unorthodox, but tends to babble a bit too much at times. He knows how to change it up, and can flow directly on beat when needed, but can get carried away at times. 

Clyde Carson - Voice tends to be too dry at times, and can lack energy at times

Lunatic

very cool thread! I am going to ignore the 10 rule and post a few more than just 10 ;)

Snoop Dogg - seems to switch up personalities way too often. for example, BCT was a big-time gangster album and then the next 1 (ET) was far from that; the next 1 will likely be back on the gangsta tip

Dr Dre - as said, doesn't have enough albums and takes too long. Recent production has been nothing mind blowing and somewhat disappointing in a way

Quik - hasn't dropped enough material/albums in recent memory

Crooked I - no album yet

Game - name drops a lot and is bi-polar at times

Knoc-turn'al - doesn't drop enough material

Warren G - has lyrically declined

Ice Cube - makes a few "forced" sounding tracks now a days but i must say this artist is in my top 10 and is 1 i don't have much to complain about

Bishop Lamont - no album yet (countless classic mixtapes though)

Daz Dillinger - puts too many projects out; quantity over quality with him now in days

G. Malone - nothin to really complain about, but up there for me (fav west coast rappers)

Kam - too long since his last album

Kurupt - only (lyrically) shows up most of the time now instead of all the time like before

Mack 10 - way too long since his last cd

One2 - no album yet, but some great tapes

Roscoe - way 2 long since last cd

Sly Boogy - not enough music/projects/info on what he's working on

Strong Arm Steady - no 100% official cd yet

WC - only 3 solo albums in what has been a very long career

I did this for the fun on it. with it all said, these are all still great rappers who i am satisfied with. god damn, the west has a lot of talent. long live the coast!
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

FLIXX

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Gardena 2 Da Fullest!!
Bishop Lamomt- theres nothing not 2 like..he been droppin hot mixtapes consistently..The West needs 2 stand up and support him a lot more.
Glasses Malone- Same as Bishop
Eastwood-Talented as fuck..Just keeps us waiting 2 long for his projects
Ya Boy-Does his dam thang
J Wells- There's lots I don't like here but that's a story for another time.
Stylistik Jones- The talent is all there...Needs 2 grind a lot more!!
Mitchy Slick- I ain't saying shit bad about mitch..fuck that...that's my nigga
Jay Rock- Love his music..this nigga is hot..But he got us all waitin 2 Follow him home
Hot Dollar- No comment
Xzibit-No comment
Flixx

BANGADOSHISH!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
whats the point in puttin hot dollar and xzibit in there and leaving no comment are you for real

FLIXX

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Gardena 2 Da Fullest!!
whats the point in puttin hot dollar and xzibit in there and leaving no comment are you for real

Yeah I'm 4real..sometimes u know 2 much and it's better left alone than aired out in a fourm..I'll save my comments for them and say it there face..but other than that i'm a fan of there work..
Flixx

acgrundy

1. Tray Deee - Got locked up, never released a solo album
2. Jayo Felony - hasn't released a album in years, solo albums were not up to par for how good he is
3. Snoop - No album can ever live up to doggystyle, he chooses some wack ass tracks for every album he puts out
4. Dre - hasn't released an album in years, now works with wack ass rappers
5. spice 1 - sort of fell off, chooses hella cheap wack beats
6. E-40 - sold out on that down south bullshit
7. MC Ren - Hasn't released an album in years, probably can't afford good beats
8. Ice Cube - Last album was dissapointing, especially after hearing Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It
9. MC Eiht - Fell off
10. Tha Dogg Pound - Fell off

Nat Turner-reincarnated

damn ya tripping how come no one got mr.capon e, or lil squirrel or lil yogi??

West Coast Veteran

The Game - name drops too much, always has facts wrong (ie. Pac died at 24, 2001 dropped in 2001).

Ice Cube - always seems to dickride the latest trends (ie. Club jams, Southern movement).

Snoop Dogg - his flow fuckin' sucks post-Dogg Food, his flow '92-'95 was the best flow ever in Hip Hop.

Kurupt - fell off lyrically, instead of dropping complex yet cohesive rhymes he now just puts big words together thinking us fans will fall for it.

Dr. Dre - doesn't produce full albums anymore, is getting beats from "popular" producers for Detox instead of keeping it in-house as his previous two, does not keep it West Coast anymore.

acgrundy

LMAO @ kurupt only shows up lyrically most of the time.  Whats your definition of most?

funkkid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
2. Jayo Felony - hasn't released a album in years, solo albums were not up to par for how good he is
3. Snoop - No album can ever live up to doggystyle, he chooses some wack ass tracks for every album he puts out
8. Ice Cube - Last album was dissapointing, especially after hearing Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It
9. MC Eiht - Fell off
tray dee had a solo album..the generals list from back in 2002

acgrundy

9. MC Eiht - Fell off

Wow, thanks for that info...I had no idea my favorite rapper had a solo album.  Where the fuck have I been living?  Probably in reality where I can tell the difference between a solo album and a compilation.

funkkid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
9. MC Eiht - Fell off

Wow, thanks for that info...I had no idea my favorite rapper had a solo album.  Where the fuck have I been living?  Probably in reality where I can tell the difference between a solo album and a compilation.
:psych:

h2k4

The Game - Contradicts himself too much (Doesn't really affect his music but it gets annoying)

Jay Rock - Hasn't shown that he can do a variety of songs

K. Dot - Jocking Wayne's style too much

Juice - Inconsistent with his lyrical ability

Snoop Dogg - Gets lazy with his lyrics and flow

DJ Quik - Don't like his flip flopping with wanting/not-wanting to be a gangsta

Crooked I - All of his songs are punch lines and not album worthy material

Too $hort - Lost it after the "Gettin' It" album

Ya Boy - Similar to Crooked in that, he hasn't shown that he can make album worthy material

G. Malone - No variety in his flow.  He was cool on "White Lightening Sticks" but fell off

Slikk_J

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Soopafly - Official 3rd member of Dogg Pound, but never on a full project with DoggPound (to me I think he can give them that edge they looking for, if he done an entire Dogg Pound album not just a production or feature there and there). Perhaps not his call. Also need more solo material from him too.

Tash - Great lyrical rapper. Need more of that alkaholik style in the game right now. (wheres this solo...suppose to beat months ago)?

Fingazz - I know hes a producer...but still one of my fav artists. Makes shitty rappers great tracks too often...Even that good that you can forget how shit the artist is half the time. Need more Great production for Great rappers. (not saying all artists he works with are wack, but the bulk of them are)

Snoop - Glad hes moved on from that pimpin era, but yeah leaves a lot of dope tracks off albums. Also not asking for another doggystyle, but you don't hear him with that witty/lyrical fast spit that he use to do, love for him to do some more tracks like that...even over todays production could still work.

Turf Talk - Love his original unique style. Not afraid to try new things. Like E-40 but less...cartoony? Perhaps needs to branch out more?

Kurupt - I think he has found his dope flow again, and he still has that lyrical touch every now and then, but too much bitches/hoes in his lyrics..and with a little bit more consistency would be great. I think the West Coast really needs another Kurupt solo...proper solo. Have a few big names drop, but no second tiers really drop albums to help the swing.  

Bad Azz - Dude has the best flow in the game when on point. Has kinda dropped off the radar, and needs to one hear from him and two get that killer flow in rotation more often!

Quik - Stop working with AMG lol...and sort your personal problems out. One day real humble, next day you flip out. Still great artist...with great production.

Jayo Felony - Wheres dude gone? Lost his way?

Crooked I - Best MC in the game. No album, tracks/freestyles that we get too often have little replay value as we all know your dope. Stop stuffing around, aim for 1st or 2nd quater next year, Get over snoop issue and hit him up for a Collab with him and make one BIG ASS Mainstream hit, that will get them spins you looking for (as Akon track not exactly working, Dre ghost writing fell through) and grab this game by the nuts and show us how its suppose to be like.

I.E artists - Sly Boogy, Dirty Birdy, Dr Stank, Diamonique etc Where are you all? Need to drop albums and put I.E. on the Map for good!!! Too much talent not getting heard.

Flava In Ya Ear

The Game - The namedrops, seems to be lazy when it comes to lyrics and flow on his albums compared to his mixtapes.

Snoop - His flow def aint there anymore, the constant "L-B-C, S-N-Double O-P, 2-1-3, D-O-Double G" rhymes.

The rest comin later..