Author Topic: Your ten favorite West Coast artists....and what you dislike the most about them  (Read 550 times)

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Ice cube - LIke previous poster said does seem to fallow trends and i have been saying for a while some of his stuff sounds forced. His flow is also lazy i believe compared to his early days and specialy compared to 94-2000

Dre - dosent put out enough albums.... lol same as everyone

Snoop - LIke someone said, d-o-g-g-lbc-2-1-3 is enough already

Dj quik and warren g - i find both these guys should work a little more on lyrics

Suga free - Tends to be repetetive now after 3-4 albums, street gospel is classic tho

i wanna say tho my biggest thing about my fav or any westcoast artists in the last 4-5 years is creativity. To me al lot of up and comers sound the same, recycle past westcaost brilliance and rely on the westcoast. It aint 92 anymore.

Big J/ Gain Green

• Lil Geezy
  • Get Money,GAin Green
1. Tray Deee - Got locked up, never released a solo album
2. Jayo Felony - hasn't released a album in years, solo albums were not up to par for how good he is
3. Snoop - No album can ever live up to doggystyle, he chooses some wack ass tracks for every album he puts out
4. Dre - hasn't released an album in years, now works with wack ass rappers
5. spice 1 - sort of fell off, chooses hella cheap wack beats
6. E-40 - sold out on that down south bullshit
7. MC Ren - Hasn't released an album in years, probably can't afford good beats
8. Ice Cube - Last album was dissapointing, especially after hearing Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It
9. MC Eiht - Fell off
10. Tha Dogg Pound - Fell off
tray dee had a solo album..the generals list from back in 2002

Generals list wasnt a solo it was a comp, with different arist. Wish we could have got a Trey Dee solo.
Everyday, 818 or 323 you already know, Big J found on one of tha East Sides Chasing dough$$$$$

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
Dr. Dre  is getting beats from "popular" producers for Detox instead of keeping it in-house as his previous two, does not keep it West Coast anymore.
What? Where dd you get this information from.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Warren G - has lyrically declined

well his lyrics have always been simple

HimselfTheMajestic

Cypress Hill - fell completely the fuck off with their music. although b-real is kinda making a comeback with his lyrics.

Sick Jacken/Psycho Realm - beat selection always kinda been off, thats been my only complaint. lyrics are on point as well as flow.

Snoop Dogg - Doesn't have that classic freestyle like flow he had when he first came out. his lyrical content never really
matured and his lyrical abilities never really grew either.

Bishop Lamont - sometimes his flow sounds way too lazy and boring. might sound like hes just trying to fill space.

Kurupt - repeats words too much now, flow is just...off too much. sometimes im like what the fuck are you talking about duke?
shit makes no sense.

Mistah Fab - needs to let his real lyrical side shine more. doesn't come as lyrical on those hyphy type songs.

Andre Nickatina - flow gets too monotonous and broken up sometimes.

2 Mex - too much of this abstract style, blabbering about girls and comes off sounding forced. or just way too weird.

Scarub - sometimes over does it with the flow, doesn't rhyme on beat or just putting too much into one line.

E-40 - is getting on way too many whack beats lately, song writing not as consistent. although his
flow is monstrous now. his albums are dope about 6-7 tracks in, then they sorta fall off.

Okka

Cypress Hill - fell completely the fuck off with their music. although b-real is kinda making a comeback with his lyrics.

Fell the fuck off? Cypress never fell off, they really don't have a wack album, even thought the last wasn't that great.
"What's Your Number" was complete bullshit, cuz of what their music always been but i'd rather listen to it then most of the "mainstream" songs.

Birdie

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Dr. Dre  is getting beats from "popular" producers for Detox instead of keeping it in-house as his previous two, does not keep it West Coast anymore.

You didn't know that? What about Scott Storch on 2001?
It's funky enough!

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!

what? in 99 Scott Storch was unknown and was a protege of Dr. Dre. he blew up because of 2001. not the other way around.

Birdie

• Muthafuckin' Double OG

what? in 99 Scott Storch was unknown and was a protege of Dr. Dre. he blew up because of 2001. not the other way around.

That's true, but it still ain't in-house production to me. By the way he was down with The Roots way back then.
It's funky enough!

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?

That's true, but it still ain't in-house production to me. By the way he was down with The Roots way back then.

Well he worked with Aftermath camp between 99-04 so I would still consider him an insider.
Anyone else you heard of, please tell us?
I'm sure Focus works with him on Detox, he is as much of Dre's camp than Em is.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite

Well he worked with Aftermath camp between 99-04 so I would still consider him an insider.
Anyone else you heard of, please tell us?
I'm sure Focus works with him on Detox, he is as much of Dre's camp than Em is.

Well I think the main issue that people have is that even with Mel-Man, Daz, Scott Storch, and anybody else he worked with, it was still "all in the family" and people who may have already done things before him, but they did more than just that album and were connected to him in some way. On this one, he's gettin cats who've been in the game for 5-8 years strong and are already known commercially, meaning they have their own style and sound, versus people that Dre's been working with who's ideas may have bounced off of his and vice versa.

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Sly Boogy - He's been lying low for too long. Needs more material to get people talking about him again. Also needs an album.

Ras Kass - What I said about Sly Boogy applies to Ras too, plus Ras needs to stay outta jail.

Crooked I - He just needs to drop an album.

Kurupt - He fell off and got lazy there for awhile, but lately he's been coming with some heat. If he can revisit his Dogg Food days, it's a wrap.

Snoop - He's been hit & miss pretty much his whole career with the exception of Doggystyle. Sometimes he tries too hard.

Xzibit - He lacks focus lately due to acting, making his last few albums hit & miss. If he revisits his first 3 albums, then he'd be killing the scene.

Mykestro - Not enough material. From what I've heard from him, he's a beast, but we need more. He needs to burn up the streets and make some noise.

Techniec - See Mykestro.

Bishop Lamont - Needs an album.

Glasses Malone - Needs an album.

HimselfTheMajestic

Fell the fuck off? Cypress never fell off, they really don't have a wack album, even thought the last wasn't that great.
"What's Your Number" was complete bullshit, cuz of what their music always been but i'd rather listen to it then most of the "mainstream" songs.

come on dude, compare their last 3 albums to anything on temple of boom or the albums prior to that. it does not match up. all that rock rap shit they were doing was way whack too.

and i forgot to put my 2 cents on Ras Kass:
the lyrics are there, the flow is there, the concepts are there, but the overall motivation isn't.
he still suffers from shitty beat selection too. and his songs always seemed to lack a little something that
just made them all around classics. i don't know, i feel like this guy is probably the most prolific writer on
the west coast ever, but he kinda comes short in some aspects.

as for detox, dre is supposed to have worked with hi-tek, knottz, mel-man, scott storch, and i think a few other heads. it's mostly just producers who's work he likes a lot, or have been influenced by him or he's been influenced by. definitely not up and comers though, mostly established dudes who are well respected in hip hop.

RAIDErs of the lost ark

-NWA; The reunion is long overdue  :-[ :-\
-MC Ren/Paris; Still waiting for that Ren solo album produced by Paris  >:(
-RBX; Where's the Concrete Criminals project?  >:(
-Kurupt;  ;) Nothing to complain about really....
-The D.O.C; that his voice got "damaged".....
-Crooked I; Fuck the "official" album,it's probably some mainstream shit anyway. I rather listen to his street albums. In other words nothing to complain about  :P ;)
-Mac Mall; Fuck those hyphy beats,get back with Khayree
-Dubee AKA Sugawolf Pimp; Fuck those hyphy beats,get back with Khayree
-Too Short; Needs to get back to that funky shit and reunite The Dangerous Crew ASAP!!!
-The Coup/Boots Riley; That cats sleep on him  :P :laugh:

h2k4

-Too Short; Needs to get back to that funky shit and reunite The Dangerous Crew ASAP!!!

Ain't that the truth.  He needs to get back with Ant Banks and stop messing with the A for beats.