Author Topic: In light of these unreleased Snoop tracks, he was the best from the west  (Read 1238 times)

PLANT

Re: In light of these unreleased Snoop tracks, he was the best from the west
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 03:22:55 PM »
Snoop may not be the best rapper on the westcoast, but theres no denying hes the biggest star, the biggest name and the biggest artist the westcoast has ever seen.  Also the most global artist in rap, period.  Plus, he has the best album in westcoast history. 

Pac was great, but he never did anything on the level of "The Chronic" or "Doggystyle".  I would actually put Cube above Pac in terms of being the best from the west.  Pac's legacy was really blown up by media controversy then death IMO.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:31:28 PM by PLANT »

Okka

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 03:28:15 PM »
Snoop may not be the best rapper on the westcoast, but theres no denying hes the biggest star, the biggest name and the biggest artist the westcoast has ever seen.  Also the most global artist in rap, period. Plus, he has the best album in westcoast history.

Blasphemy

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
EVERYBODY knew who 2pac was musically when "I get around" and "Keep Ya hEad Up" came out

everyone in hip hop knew who he was because of Juice + 2pacalypse + connections to Ed Lover, Live Squad and Digital Underground

wrong, The rest did and he did stand out, but it wasn't until Me Against The World that he finally got HUGE respect, ask a lot of 2pac fans around that era they'll say they say his first album they got of him was Me Against The World. He was still notable on the west for the controversy and the film, but his albums weren't no wear near as succesfull as The Chronic and Doggystyle cause they still had the underground feel.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »
Cube > Snoop > Quik in the Doggystyle era

Quik > Cube > Snoop in the Doggfather era
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2009, 06:25:41 PM »
Only one other person brought this up:

From 92-96, Kurupt could have rapped circles around pretty much every rapper in the industry including Snoop. Real talk, if Kurupt dropped a solo album after "New York, New York", it would be talked about in the same sentence as "Illmatic" and "Ready to Die". Since this forum is the unofficial Snoop Doggy Dogg fan club, that thought would be blasphemous, however lyrically:

Kurupt over Dre/Daz beats > Snoop over Dre/Daz beats

NOBODY was puttin Kurupt Young Gotti ahead of GZA THE GENIUS

Gza's liquid swords will always be looked upon as Raps best album by someone not named 2pack Shaker
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Blasphemy

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 07:03:11 PM »

From 92-96, Kurupt could have rapped circles around pretty much every rapper in the industry including Snoop. Real talk, if Kurupt dropped a solo album after "New York, New York", it would be talked about in the same sentence as "Illmatic" and "Ready to Die". Since this forum is the unofficial Snoop Doggy Dogg fan club, that thought would be blasphemous, however lyrically:

NOBODY was puttin Kurupt Young Gotti ahead of GZA THE GENIUS

Gza's liquid swords will always be looked upon as Raps best album by someone not named 2pack Shaker

The entire East Coast Wu-Tang Catalog is amazing I'll admit. But At the time despite critical success, West Coast was doing both selling and praise. Ready To Die was the only album out there to be matched with sells and success.

Honestly both coast had a huge amount of albums that were amazing, but only a few had a HUGE impact and only a few were innovated. Some impact was good, others well not.. lol

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 07:36:56 PM »
it wasn't really eas and west

it was east and death row....even Eazy E was so desperate t hat he reosrted to "G Funk" on 187um dr dre killa ep
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Jimmy H.

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2009, 10:27:28 PM »

As a straight lyricist, Kurupt was the best thing they had over there at Death Row but Snoop was the star. It's kind of like comparing Canibus and Slick Rick. Snoop's bread and butter was more about the style and the way he flowed than the complexity of the actual rhymes. Kurupt was vicious with his but Snoop was the major featured artist on every hit record off The Chronic for a reason. Kurupt's flow was aggressive. You listen to "Stranded On Death Row" and he comes out and just knocks the listener or their ass. Snoop's shit is kind of like, it don't even matter what the words are. He makes that shit sound so cool and melodic that the listener wants to just take it and own that. I think someone actually summed it up on one of the VH1 specials, either about Dre or Snoop in that the beauty of the records they made was they did songs about guns, smoking weed, and bitches and the production made it sound as clean as a Quincy Jones-produced Michael Jackson record.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 01:09:53 AM »
your 2nd album is doggfather, i ain't got to say mo'

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 01:20:45 AM »
it wasn't really eas and west

it was east and death row....even Eazy E was so desperate t hat he reosrted to "G Funk" on 187um dr dre killa ep

That album came out in 93/94, G Funk was around its peak. What do you mean desperate.

Snoop may not be the best rapper on the westcoast, but theres no denying hes the biggest star, the biggest name and the biggest artist the westcoast has ever seen.  Also the most global artist in rap, period.  Plus, he has the best album in westcoast history. 

Pac was great, but he never did anything on the level of "The Chronic" or "Doggystyle".  I would actually put Cube above Pac in terms of being the best from the west.  Pac's legacy was really blown up by media controversy then death IMO.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 01:29:02 AM by Nutty »