Author Topic: Is The Era Of The Super Producer Over?  (Read 766 times)

Elano

Is The Era Of The Super Producer Over?
« on: October 10, 2008, 03:15:07 AM »
I think this question is rhetorical, but is the era of the super producer completely over? I can’t help but feel that whole idea is a product of the old music industry, the one that is being disregarded and left for dead more and more as each day passes.

The one hit wonder, with a big record that breaks regionally before spreading nationally, or comes to life via myspace or a youtube video- the one hit wonder has put the super producer out of business. And why? Probably for a few reasons, but the main one being that super producers just aren’t very reliable when it comes to making hits anymore. They recreate a sound that worked once, over and over again, and consumers are too smart for that nowadays. They’re not buying it. You have to be more creative. You can’t just keep selling them the wheel. You really do have to reinvent it.

Notable current and former super producers who I think are stuggling for relevancy, regardless of whether they’ve had hits recently:

1) swizz beats- his sound is just not interesting anymore. Too much yelling, not enough substance.

2) the neptunes- better as a rock band

3) scott storch- where’s this guy been?

4) lil jon- see above. Crunk really is dead.

5) Dr. Dre- headphones> songs he produced in last three years

Who else is struggling for relevancy? Who are the new super producers that have taken their place?

(xxl)

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Is The Era Of The Super Producer Over?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 03:28:34 AM »
yes ,cause artist are buying beats cheaper from no name producers now...plus technology allows the average joe to come up off some heat he has made at home,and could just as easy sell a dope beat to (whom ever)...i see alot of this going on now days.

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Kane Beatz Movement - The Building Records
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 03:32:30 AM »
I think this question is rhetorical, but is the era of the super producer completely over? I can’t help but feel that whole idea is a product of the old music industry, the one that is being disregarded and left for dead more and more as each day passes.

The one hit wonder, with a big record that breaks regionally before spreading nationally, or comes to life via myspace or a youtube video- the one hit wonder has put the super producer out of business. And why? Probably for a few reasons, but the main one being that super producers just aren’t very reliable when it comes to making hits anymore. They recreate a sound that worked once, over and over again, and consumers are too smart for that nowadays. They’re not buying it. You have to be more creative. You can’t just keep selling them the wheel. You really do have to reinvent it.

Notable current and former super producers who I think are stuggling for relevancy, regardless of whether they’ve had hits recently:

1) swizz beats- his sound is just not interesting anymore. Too much yelling, not enough substance.

2) the neptunes- better as a rock band

3) scott storch- where’s this guy been?

4) lil jon- see above. Crunk really is dead.

5) Dr. Dre- headphones> songs he produced in last three years

Who else is struggling for relevancy? Who are the new super producers that have taken their place?

(xxl)

Kane Beatz 8) Is the Future, Real Talk..."Kane Is In The Building, Nigga...AHAHAHAH!"

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 03:35:50 AM »
I'd say hell no it's not over, and yes its really really bad for Hip Hop...

Cats like Timbaland, Polow, Toomp are some current super producers that come to mind off top...

ABN

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 03:47:59 AM »

Cats like Timbaland, Polow, Toomp are some current super producers that come to mind off top...
Tim and Toomp do produce a lot of quality shit and Toomp deserves everything he´s getting after putting 20 years into the game. but a lot of so called super producers are kinda destroying music coz they find a formula that works and they milk it to the core. i think Polow and the Neptunes are pretty good examples of that coz even to this day i can call a Neptunes produced track after just listening to a song for a couple of seconds and that´s not a good look.

Elano

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 05:52:00 AM »
i think Polow and the Neptunes are pretty good examples of that coz even to this day i can call a Neptunes produced track after just listening to a song for a couple of seconds and that´s not a good look.

its the same for timbaland

ABN

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 05:53:57 AM »
i think Polow and the Neptunes are pretty good examples of that coz even to this day i can call a Neptunes produced track after just listening to a song for a couple of seconds and that´s not a good look.

its the same for timbaland
i agree but he does have more variety in his tracks IMO. and his shit recent shit have been better then theirs but he needs to slow down coz he´s oversaturated the market in the last 2 years.

VxTheGeneral

• 'G'
  • Picture Of Me, At Night
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 08:31:28 AM »
timbaland as well, i can summarize timbaland beats in 5 to 10 timbo beats...JR, Danja, Focus, real producers of today

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 09:34:37 AM »
the era is not over, but it's dying. this is actually good, the sound of Hip-Hop was getting too uniformed.

LatinoThugPassion

• 'G'
  • Theze Nuttz
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 09:44:44 AM »
everything in 360 degreees
Latin Thug Passion

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 09:59:06 AM »
Super Producer is far from over... FAR , established hip hop producers get called upon to add some magic to POP acts.. record labels know this, so they pair up people like Gwen stefani with the neptunes, depeche mode with timbaland, christina aguelera with dj premier etc.
Consumers are stupid, the average consumer doesnt care about all his beats sound the same, its only those hypocritical guys on the internet which is only a very very small factor when it comes to determining a hit or not (See D4L or Crank Dat Soulja Boy) As long as the beat is catchy and the Chorus is Catchy and u rhyme words with a cool guy attitude = hit. Super Producers are still a dominant force and will always be in all MUSIC.

and yes kane beatz is the shit im currently bumpin that rob g feat swisha house - Drop Top prod by kane beatz

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 10:09:40 AM »
I like J.R. beats  ::)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 12:02:55 PM »

Tim and Toomp do produce a lot of quality shit and Toomp deserves everything he´s getting after putting 20 years into the game. but a lot of so called super producers are kinda destroying music coz they find a formula that works and they milk it to the core. i think Polow and the Neptunes are pretty good examples of that coz even to this day i can call a Neptunes produced track after just listening to a song for a couple of seconds and that´s not a good look.

If that's the case.....Berry Gordy was a superproducer who milked his formula....Teddy Riley milked his even worst. Quincy Jones was one of the few who could change his style and never milked one sound. But Motown became a factory that produced microwave pop acts in the 60's until people slowly got tired of the formula...but they always had some very soulful acts as well.

For those who aren't familiar with New Jack Swing, Teddy Riley milked the HELL out of that formula. As much as I love some of the songs, that era was him taking that formula of Rap + R&B, putting that slightly off beat swing to it, using the 80's synths and drums, and he milked it to the COOOOOOOORE.

Matty

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 12:14:53 PM »
danja is the best producer working today if you consider all genres. i'd probably put dre and quik up there too if they were still putting out much music. i don't care for the superproducers label i just care about quality output. premo is still doing it, khalil has some heat too.

i feel like jr has gone stale, timbaland is running out of ideas again and scott storch might be coming back (the new 50 track is a heater) but only cause he's been hanging around with/co-producing with dre again.

danja is the dude who's on top of all the pop/r&b producers. lets face it hip-hop hasn't really been so big or relevant in the market for a while...

Archetype

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 01:44:36 PM »
No.