Author Topic: Why Does Snoop Not Get Grief For Using Ghostwriters?  (Read 2217 times)

TRG

Re: Why Does Snoop Not Get Grief For Using Ghostwriters?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 09:33:11 PM »
I think people are just used to Dre gettin other people to write his stuff.. we dont really care that much (well i dont). Plus we want him to focus more on the production, than writing a dope 16 anyway.  :P

As for Snoop, im not to worried that he doesnt write his shit.

Has Snoop ever said he doesnt havnt ghostwriters?

Lunatic

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 09:33:49 PM »
The fact that Dre even gets more grief for not writing his own shit when he's a producer more than Snoop is weird.
bring up a good point as well...
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 09:34:44 PM »
You can ask the same about Dr. Dre. At least Snoop writes some of his raps. Dre doesn't even create his own beats anymore, let alone write rhymes.

But Dre is a producer first hand.

Snoop is a rapper who doesnt write. You see how that doesnt make any sense?

Snoop that nigga and i got love for him but lets be honest 9/10 cats would not get a pass from that.

The fact that Dre even gets more grief for not writing his own shit when he's a producer more than Snoop is weird.
But these days Dre isn't even creating his own beats either. Just mixing and engineering and whatnot.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 09:34:50 PM »
You can ask the same about Dr. Dre. At least Snoop writes some of his raps. Dre doesn't even create his own beats anymore, let alone write rhymes.

Dre does it so much it ain't even worth mentioning. With Dre I get the whole work with me and get the props, you write me a 16 and get famous deal with that.
yeah, we should all be beyond talkin' about dre using ghost writers..it doesn't worry me, what would worry me is if we begin to hear dre is writing his own

jokes :laugh:
LOL.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 09:36:03 PM »
simply put, Snoop's better days are way behind him. So as an emcee, we judge him off Doggystyle, Murder Was The Case, Top Dogg, Last Meal, what has leaked from the era. Snoop wrote his own shit. Since then, he doesn't write much, but at the same time his considered fallen off. No one judges Rakim passed the break up with Eric B. no one judges Tribe Called Quest passed their original break up, no one judges Ice Cube passed 1996 really, and what's put out since is considered a bonus to his legacy. So since Last Meal, no one judges Snoop, basically what's put out, like Pimp Slam or Drop It Like It's Hot, like Imagine, that's just a bonus.

Flava In Ya Ear

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 09:37:06 PM »

But Dre is a producer first hand.

Snoop is a rapper who doesnt write. You see how that doesnt make any sense?

Snoop that nigga and i got love for him but lets be honest 9/10 cats would not get a pass from that.

But these days Dre isn't even creating his own beats either. Just mixing and engineering and whatnot.

true true but you know Dre got fanatics here (Dre-Day and Chad Vader) who'll defend him no matter what. and its like that what can u do.

i already said Dre fell off a long time ago.

but it seems like wheneva me, Long Beach Iz Active or anybody else tells the truth about Dre and cats like that, we either get banned or people want us to get banned so they start snitching.

so it is what it is.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 09:38:10 PM »
I think people are just used to Dre gettin other people to write his stuff.. we dont really care that much (well i dont). Plus we want him to focus more on the production, than writing a dope 16 anyway.  :P

As for Snoop, im not to worried that he doesnt write his shit.

Has Snoop ever said he doesnt havnt ghostwriters?

No he has not, and that is the shit that is crazy to me is that it seems cool to most or more people don't speak on it. With DOC I think the perception to most is they both co write the song. But even the last Dubcnn interview Nima did with DOC he said he himself wrote 3 songs for Snoop on BCT. But it ain't like people would check for DOC rapping Round Here if he did real talk. So DOC writing for people makes alot of sense.

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »
It seems like Ego Trippin' was an experimental experience. In one of his interviews, I remember him mentioning Diana Ross and how soul & r&b people rely on ghostwriters and that he was sort of in a position in his own career where he was able to get away with having ghostwriters. At least that's how he justified it anyway.

Here's another thought to add to the your own question D. Does having ghostwriters mean you're not considered an MC but a Rapper? The ol' MC vs. Rapper debate applies to this scenario as well, perhaps?

But to be honest with you, Ego Trippin did not have out of this world lyrics, ghostwritten or not. I look at the verses from Blue Carpet Treatment and they SHIT on most of Ego Trippin that both had ghostwriters. R&B is a little different, a perfect example is like a Mariah Carey. She don't write hardly any of her stuff but Snoop to most is considered a MC (well probably not anymore to most) so if I hear a really dope rhyme from him, I normally assume he wrote it. Like the song Think About It

This song lyrically is str8 insane. I would be hella disappointed if he did not write this. This is some MC shit.

I agree that TBCT > ET hands down. Perhaps he relied on too many ghostwriters for ET? I don't know for sure, but sometimes too much is just that, too much, so it loses its focus somewhere along the line. It is common knowledge that D.O.C. helped him with Doggystyle and that turned out to be a classic album from top-to-bottom. So in that case, less was more.

So maybe had he narrowed the ghostwriter's down to just 2 people and himself, it wouldn't have sounded as soft as it turned out? Who knows, but I still think he wanted to experiment with the album like an R&B artist would. Plus he seemed to have a lot of fun making the record, so that's another key point to consider to the equation.

COMPTONRIDA1

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2008, 09:43:47 PM »
snoop is a phoney

was GREAT in the 90s

needs to hang it up now and quit pretending he's still able to rap

NOW WE FINALLY CAN AGREE ON SOMETHING.. FUCK SNOOP WIT HIS WEAK RAPPIN ASS AND HIS FRAUDULENT GANGBANGIN...

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2008, 09:44:20 PM »
simply put, Snoop's better days are way behind him. So as an emcee, we judge him off Doggystyle, Murder Was The Case, Top Dogg, Last Meal, what has leaked from the era. Snoop wrote his own shit. Since then, he doesn't write much, but at the same time his considered fallen off. No one judges Rakim passed the break up with Eric B. no one judges Tribe Called Quest passed their original break up, no one judges Ice Cube passed 1996 really, and what's put out since is considered a bonus to his legacy. So since Last Meal, no one judges Snoop, basically what's put out, like Pimp Slam or Drop It Like It's Hot, like Imagine, that's just a bonus.

Yeah that is true. Musically I think Snoop has dropped alot of dope shit over time. I think ever since Doggystyle though he has lacked that musical direction to really make a cohesive album throughout. Last Meal, Top Dogg and a couple others were close or damn near dead on, but maybe that has alot to do with it too, he really does not know what direction he wants to go with his music so he is open to ideas/songs to be written for him.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2008, 09:46:28 PM »
It seems like Ego Trippin' was an experimental experience. In one of his interviews, I remember him mentioning Diana Ross and how soul & r&b people rely on ghostwriters and that he was sort of in a position in his own career where he was able to get away with having ghostwriters. At least that's how he justified it anyway.

Here's another thought to add to the your own question D. Does having ghostwriters mean you're not considered an MC but a Rapper? The ol' MC vs. Rapper debate applies to this scenario as well, perhaps?

But to be honest with you, Ego Trippin did not have out of this world lyrics, ghostwritten or not. I look at the verses from Blue Carpet Treatment and they SHIT on most of Ego Trippin that both had ghostwriters. R&B is a little different, a perfect example is like a Mariah Carey. She don't write hardly any of her stuff but Snoop to most is considered a MC (well probably not anymore to most) so if I hear a really dope rhyme from him, I normally assume he wrote it. Like the song Think About It

This song lyrically is str8 insane. I would be hella disappointed if he did not write this. This is some MC shit.

I agree that TBCT > ET hands down. Perhaps he relied on too many ghostwriters for ET? I don't know for sure, but sometimes too much is just that, too much, so it loses its focus somewhere along the line. It is common knowledge that D.O.C. helped him with Doggystyle and that turned out to be a classic album from top-to-bottom. So in that case, less was more.

So maybe had he narrowed the ghostwriter's down to just 2 people and himself, it wouldn't have sounded as soft as it turned out? Who knows, but I still think he wanted to experiment with the album like an R&B artist would. Plus he seemed to have a lot of fun making the record, so that's another key point to consider to the equation.

Yeah that could definitely be the case. I just would like to see Snoop do more on his own but maybe the motivation is not there to do it like that.

Lunatic

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2008, 09:48:08 PM »
Many of Snoop's projects have been inconsistent as well due to the bundle of material he throws on it - u can always expect 19-22 tracks

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2008, 09:49:43 PM »
Many of Snoop's projects have been inconsistent as well due to the bundle of material he throws on it - u can always expect 19-22 tracks

True.

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2008, 09:51:22 PM »

Yeah that could definitely be the case. I just would like to see Snoop do more on his own but maybe the motivation is not there to do it like that.

Yeah, well it's anybody's guess what his motivation (or lack of) these days, so it is what it is. I ain't mad at him for it though, but you made some valid points that I agree with as far as whenever he does write his own stuff, or even if D.O.C. contributed to the tracks, he does sound better.

What are his plans for the next album, do you know?

Lunatic

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2008, 09:54:23 PM »
^he is back in the studio with Dre for the next album

so likely more the BCT route