Author Topic: Why Does Snoop Not Get Grief For Using Ghostwriters?  (Read 2258 times)

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Why Does Snoop Not Get Grief For Using Ghostwriters?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2008, 09:56:29 PM »
^he is back in the studio with Dre for the next album

so likely more the BCT route

Well that's a good thing. Dre & Snoop have great chemistry, so that should work well.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 09:56:44 PM »
It seems like Ego Trippin' was an experimental experience. In one of his interviews, I remember him mentioning Diana Ross and how soul & r&b people rely on ghostwriters and that he was sort of in a position in his own career where he was able to get away with having ghostwriters. At least that's how he justified it anyway.

Here's another thought to add to the your own question D. Does having ghostwriters mean you're not considered an MC but a Rapper? The ol' MC vs. Rapper debate applies to this scenario as well, perhaps?

But to be honest with you, Ego Trippin did not have out of this world lyrics, ghostwritten or not. I look at the verses from Blue Carpet Treatment and they SHIT on most of Ego Trippin that both had ghostwriters. R&B is a little different, a perfect example is like a Mariah Carey. She don't write hardly any of her stuff but Snoop to most is considered a MC (well probably not anymore to most) so if I hear a really dope rhyme from him, I normally assume he wrote it. Like the song Think About It

This song lyrically is str8 insane. I would be hella disappointed if he did not write this. This is some MC shit.

I agree that TBCT > ET hands down. Perhaps he relied on too many ghostwriters for ET? I don't know for sure, but sometimes too much is just that, too much, so it loses its focus somewhere along the line. It is common knowledge that D.O.C. helped him with Doggystyle and that turned out to be a classic album from top-to-bottom. So in that case, less was more.

So maybe had he narrowed the ghostwriter's down to just 2 people and himself, it wouldn't have sounded as soft as it turned out? Who knows, but I still think he wanted to experiment with the album like an R&B artist would. Plus he seemed to have a lot of fun making the record, so that's another key point to consider to the equation.

Yeah that could definitely be the case. I just would like to see Snoop do more on his own but maybe the motivation is not there to do it like that.

Yeah, well it's anybody's guess what his motivation (or lack of) these days, so it is what it is. I ain't mad at him for it though, but you made some valid points that I agree with as far as whenever he does write his own stuff, or even if D.O.C. contributed to the tracks, he does sound better.

What are his plans for the next album, do you know?

I would think yeah Snoop had fun on ET but he can't be happy with how it did. I say he goes back to a album more like BCT but with a more mainstream twist a bit. More tracks like a That's That Shit or something like that. I would love to see if he does do a more R&G album, for him to have Quik oversee it.

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 10:01:07 PM »
^^I don't know why Snoop doesn't just have Quik exec. produce his next album. Have Dre throw a few heaters at him and then Quik do the rest. Quik's sound would mesh well with Snoop's delivery.

Lunatic

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 10:02:22 PM »
I would think yeah Snoop had fun on ET but he can't be happy with how it did. I say he goes back to a album more like BCT but with a more mainstream twist a bit. More tracks like a That's That Shit or something like that. I would love to see if he does do a more R&G album, for him to have Quik oversee it.
100% this is what will happen
Quik over seeing an R&G type album would be NUTS though!
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »

Rhythmalism Pt 2. Why not but with Snoop rapping over the beats.
^^I don't know why Snoop doesn't just have Quik exec. produce his next album. Have Dre throw a few heaters at him and then Quik do the rest. Quik's sound would mesh well with Snoop's delivery.

Because Snoop does not want to feel like he is leaving anyone out. But yeah musically that would be crazy. Press Play was dope on ET.

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 10:07:34 PM »

Rhythmalism Pt 2. Why not but with Snoop rapping over the beats.

Because Snoop does not want to feel like he is leaving anyone out. But yeah musically that would be crazy. Press Play was dope on ET.

We'd forgive him if he only had Dre & Quik producing the whole album.  ;) :laugh:

Flava In Ya Ear

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 10:11:40 PM »

See people dont now that Game co-wrote BCT.

But i think its just that Snoop is a legend and everybody love dude mostly for his personality so they pretty much accept anything and everything he does.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 10:13:36 PM »

But i think its just that Snoop is a legend and everybody love dude mostly for his personality so they pretty much accept anything and everything he does.

What did he co write on BCT?

Flava In Ya Ear

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 10:18:40 PM »

he's not credited but Game did co-write a few songs on that album. but maybe i should say ghostwrite because obviously people dont know.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2008, 10:23:53 PM »

he's not credited but Game did co-write a few songs on that album. but maybe i should say ghostwrite because obviously people dont know.

Well that is news to me.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2008, 11:54:36 PM »
You can ask the same about Dr. Dre. At least Snoop writes some of his raps. Dre doesn't even create his own beats anymore, let alone write rhymes.

But Dre is a producer first hand.

Snoop is a rapper who doesnt write. You see how that doesnt make any sense?

Snoop that nigga and i got love for him but lets be honest 9/10 cats would not get a pass from that.

The fact that Dre even gets more grief for not writing his own shit when he's a producer more than Snoop is weird.
But these days Dre isn't even creating his own beats either. Just mixing and engineering and whatnot.

true true but you know Dre got fanatics here (Dre-Day and Chad Vader) who'll defend him no matter what. and its like that what can u do.

i already said Dre fell off a long time ago.

but it seems like wheneva me, Long Beach Iz Active or anybody else tells the truth about Dre and cats like that, we either get banned or people want us to get banned so they start snitching.

so it is what it is.

since when do i defend Dre at all costs?

i know you're a game stan, but all irony aside, i'd like to see examples  8)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2008, 05:57:57 AM »
i don't mind when d.o.c helps him. but problem and them other dudes make snoop sound worst. if you're an emcee you suppose to write ya own rhymes.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:04:13 AM by Classic Material »
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

GimmeYourShoes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2008, 06:16:52 AM »
I think it is because of Snoop's over all contribution to Hip-Hop. He released Doggystyle which is widely considered as a hip-hop classic and he did lots of great stuff back in the '90s, so he gets a pass with letting Casper write his shit today. Same thing with Dre and Eazy. Dre being one hell of a producer and Eazy-E being founder of Ruthless records which brought us , in example, NWA and Bone Thugs, so that's why I don't mind Dre and Eazy not writting their own rhymes.
There are rappers who don't get pass with this ghostwriting thing. Puff Daddy for example. He introduced us Notorious B.I.G. which was a good thing, but on the other hand he assassinated 2Pac and clad wiggers in really shitty looking clothes. He gets no pass.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6</a>

mastdark81

• 'G'
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2008, 07:24:54 AM »
HERE'S THE ANSWER. 

He's not known for his lyrics and is not a battle rapper, therefore he generally gets a pass.  He also doesn't hide the fact that people write for him sometimes, and have showed the ability to create on his own.

If someone like Crooked I or Kurupt, has ghostwriters there would automatically be an issue based on how they are or was considered one of the best lyricists.  Snoop never was and never claimed to be the best to my knowledge.

Same with real/fake gangstaz...if you don't claim to be gangsta then your are not judged by the critics for not being one.  And that is what most people bring up the most on Snoop, his Crip credibility if any one has issues with him.

ABN

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2008, 07:28:39 AM »
You can ask the same about Dr. Dre. At least Snoop writes some of his raps. Dre doesn't even create his own beats anymore, let alone write rhymes.

Dre does it so much it ain't even worth mentioning. With Dre I get the whole work with me and get the props, you write me a 16 and get famous deal with that.
yeah, we should all be beyond talkin' about dre using ghost writers..it doesn't worry me, what would worry me is if we begin to hear dre is writing his own

jokes :laugh:
Ren did say that Dre used to write some of his shit in the NWA days. think it might´ve been in a hiphopformula(or is it called thafomula?)interview he said it.