Author Topic: Why Does Snoop Not Get Grief For Using Ghostwriters?  (Read 2255 times)

OG Hack Wilson

Re: Why Does Snoop Not Get Grief For Using Ghostwriters?
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2009, 07:22:30 AM »
He is considered more of a founding father in helping to create gangsta rap, I will give him that as a businessman but he will never be considered one of the greatest rappers on the coast because of the fact he had ghostwriters.
I've always looked at that way too but if you were put Dre's name down as one of the greatest rappers and someone else were to put Eazy down, the Eazy comment would be more accepted, which is weird because Dre definetly had the more consistent flow. They both had other cats write for them though.

In regards to Snoop, it is different because Snoop has always been a rapper first. It's not like Dre, Eazy, Puffy, Jermaine Dupri, etc. were they are producers that like to roc the mic. For someone to write your chorus is one thing but to being paying for bars when you are a rapper kind of seems weird. Kind of defeats the purpose a little bit.

Dre and Eazy didn't/don't write any of their own lyrics. Snoop has written most of his lyrics

D-O-C
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Mygla

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2009, 09:00:25 AM »
simply put, Snoop's better days are way behind him. So as an emcee, we judge him off Doggystyle, Murder Was The Case, Top Dogg, Last Meal, what has leaked from the era. Snoop wrote his own shit.

dude, Snoop thanked his ghostwriters Tray Deee & Bad Azz in the booklet og NL Top Dogg...

And you're all confusing ghostwriter with writers... If credit is given, the one who wrote the song is NOT a ghostwriter.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2009, 09:03:35 AM »
I think the whole concept or Ghosting Vs. Writting is overrated, IMO.
The personality spitting the words to the music is more important.

(Tho it's defo a plus when the artist is a full package)

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Kane Beatz Movement - The Building Records
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2009, 11:11:57 AM »
bcuz snoop was prolly one of the greatest ghostwriters himself... so he gets a pass
Nuthin but a G Thang
F*** with Dre Day
Let me ride
Lil Ghetto Boy
Damn near all of The Chronic
Then he co Wrote most of Daz raps on Dogg Food
including the raps on Bigg pimpin off Murder was the Case
Those are classics so he gets away with... get the picture

i thought it was Kurupt who wrote most of Daz' raps on Dogg Food. Didn't he also teach Daz how to rap?

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2009, 11:18:44 AM »

From a buisness perspective and fan stand point yes. But thats not true a MC and often frowned upon when rappers are getting other rappers to write they shit. "Bouncing onstage like you wrote that hook"

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2009, 02:45:19 PM »
I dont really give a fuck, but that "2001" track on Doggfather is dope, written by Technique, Bad Azz and Kurupt. That's my shit right there

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2009, 03:55:56 PM »
Too much reading 4 me.  1 question should be asked.  Why does Snoop not get grief for doing garbage songs like drop it like its hot & those 2 gay songs he did in 06, i wanna love you & that's that?  The answer might be cause snopp got it like that.  He did say in a song,'I'M THE ONLY RAPPER KNOWN BY YOUR GRANDMOTHER'

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2009, 01:52:32 AM »
Is it because the perception is he co writes with them or what? Just wondering.

Eazy E never got greif

He is considered more of a founding father in helping to create gangsta rap, I will give him that as a businessman but he will never be considered one of the greatest rappers on the coast because of the fact he had ghostwriters.

ok, but it doesn't matter as Eazy-E and Dr.Dre are performers

NewYork Pope

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2009, 08:39:32 AM »
Why does Aretha, Beyonce and the whole R&B genre don't get grief for their ghostwriting?

HIp Hop is the only who acts like it's blasphemy if an artist gets help to create a song. I guess it's because it's such an egotistic art where all one does is brag about themselves. But take that away and these artist and ghostwriters do nothing but what has been a norm for the art of music. I think if many of you accept that one fact first we'll have less of these stupid conversation and have accepting perception about it..
 Yet I understand that if artists brag so much they should be bragging from their own perspective, not someone elses'.

Snoop, Dre and don't get grief cause they don't hide it and act like they do it themselves. I think thats the main issue. Artist get writes but pretend to write that particular songs themselves. Howveer, the artist are doing whtat A&Rs direct them to do, an industry standard practice.
Give it a rest though.

NewYork Pope

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2009, 08:50:10 AM »
bcuz snoop was prolly one of the greatest ghostwriters himself... so he gets a pass
Nuthin but a G Thang
F*** with Dre Day
Let me ride
Lil Ghetto Boy
Damn near all of The Chronic
Then he co Wrote most of Daz raps on Dogg Food
including the raps on Bigg pimpin off Murder was the Case
Those are classics so he gets away with... get the picture
True
While DOC wrote many on Chronic and others Snoop wrote a lot for others, a clear sign he uses other write to conform to a "team work" way of crating good music. Again, an industry standard. Them dudes are  musical dudes so they understand it took a team effort so help each other write, but clearly has nothing to do with him can't write. the dude created timeless classics HE WROTE. His freestyle proves he's A RTEAL MC. The guy just like to use the old industry way of making hits. He doesn't need ghostwriters, he's one himself so apparently he does it for different reason. Some should hang it up on trying to discredit him.

NewYork Pope

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2009, 08:53:21 AM »

Do listen enjoyes who the heck wrote he song on the music they are listening? Again, a game build on ego cause this. If it weren't for that no one would care who wrote what. When Brtiney working album savvyy fans are praying Linda Perry is writing on the projetc.  They know Linda can create incredible song that Brit can performed that they'll love the song to. not hp hop fans. give it a rest folks

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2009, 10:56:08 AM »
Why does Aretha, Beyonce and the whole R&B genre don't get grief for their ghostwriting?

HIp Hop is the only who acts like it's blasphemy if an artist gets help to create a song. I guess it's because it's such an egotistic art where all one does is brag about themselves. But take that away and these artist and ghostwriters do nothing but what has been a norm for the art of music. I think if many of you accept that one fact first we'll have less of these stupid conversation and have accepting perception about it..
 Yet I understand that if artists brag so much they should be bragging from their own perspective, not someone elses'.

Snoop, Dre and don't get grief cause they don't hide it and act like they do it themselves. I think thats the main issue. Artist get writes but pretend to write that particular songs themselves. Howveer, the artist are doing whtat A&Rs direct them to do, an industry standard practice.
Give it a rest though.

props, well put

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2009, 11:11:08 AM »

Give it a rest though.

Hip hop is a little different from other forms of music though. Singers have their voices, rockers have their guitars. Hip hop's main form of expression is the lyrics and the flow. So when the lyrics are prewritten for them, it takes away from their talent. Would you respect a rock singer who couldn't play the guitar?

NewYork Pope

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2009, 11:56:55 AM »

Give it a rest though.

Hip hop is a little different from other forms of music though. Singers have their voices, rockers have their guitars. Hip hop's main form of expression is the lyrics and the flow. So when the lyrics are prewritten for them, it takes away from their talent. Would you respect a rock singer who couldn't play the guitar?

Again, it's because hip hop is about ego, mostly so you spiting someone else's ego. Not yours. but it's ok outside of that context. I do get your point about rap being based on lyricism, but as AN ART it greew beyong that. It's now an art that takes good song writing skills to succeed. Ego Trippin, more specific "Sexual Seduction", for example was that. Lyricism would not have made that song.

I would respect a rock singer who doesn't play guitar. There are tons of them that make hits (good music) then and now. Singer, is what they are first. Guitar player is different from being a singer.
By that standard of your question, of course i can't respect Lil Wayne (for his rock CD), not cause he doesn't play guitar but because he's neither a guitar player nor a singer, same for Kayne & 808 (Well, i don' respect Wayne for other reason too. lol).

Now if you ask could I respect a Violinist who doesn't play violin then.. you know the answer. Lol

Chad Vader

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2009, 08:19:03 AM »
And you're all confusing ghostwriter with writers... If credit is given, the one who wrote the song is NOT a ghostwriter.

yep...

Related;
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/charts/decadeendcharts/chart_display.jsp?&f=R%26B%2FHip-Hop+Songwriters&g=Decade-end+Writers

DECADE END CHARTS R&B/Hip-Hop Songwriters
Issue Date: 2009
#   Writer   Titles
1   ROBERT KELLY    
2   PHARRELL L. WILLIAMS    
3   TIMOTHY V. "TIMBALAND" MOSLEY    
4   BRYAN-MICHAEL COX    
5   ALICIA KEYS    
6   JERMAINE DUPRI    
7   SHAWN C. "JAY-Z" CARTER    
8   SHAFFER "NE-YO" SMITH    
9   KANYE WEST